The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Ugly Drum Smoker (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23436)

Czarbecue 01-22-2018 09:26 AM

The Hunsaker foot lever is the best I have seen. Discreet and not affected by the wind since it’s under the drum.

el luchador 01-22-2018 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dadsr4 (Post 3938073)
Some people just drill the holes and use magnets to adjust the air flow.

That's what I did for a long time.

el luchador 01-22-2018 09:38 AM

I use a heater meater with a variable air damper.

simply put, if the temp is too low it opens the air damper and starts closing it off as temps get closer to desired. when it gets to temp it closes. when temps start dropping it starts opening.

pretty nice system but costly at approx. $150

Edit: https://youtu.be/OKhO0LJJYxw
This is what I use. It can also have a fan but I don't use a fan. As of last night I got the macro damper which has 4 sq inches of intake that way I can take it to 500+ degrees using just the damper if I want

Hinds15 01-22-2018 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Czarbecue (Post 3938078)
The Hunsaker foot lever is the best I have seen. Discreet and not affected by the wind since it’s under the drum.

I like that idea also mainly because it's not greatly affected by wind just have to figure a way to diy with no welder.

I found this while browsing and is exactly what I had in mind.

Czarbecue 01-22-2018 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hinds15 (Post 3938101)
I like that idea also mainly because it's not greatly affected by wind just have to figure a way to diy with no welder.

For $25 you can't beat the price... and just need a hole saw and a drill.

https://www.hunsakersmokers.com/prod...-control-guide

Hinds15 01-22-2018 11:11 AM

I don't know why I thought it would be more expensive. Even today the wind is around 15mph so the hunsaker is probably my best bet.

DRMSMKER 01-22-2018 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hinds15 (Post 3938101)

I found this while browsing and is exactly what I had in mind.

This is basically what the the big poppa kit comes with. one on each side for 8 holes total.

Blue Kettle 01-22-2018 12:37 PM

I know for a lot of people on here their name is mud, but that new 18" Barrel House Cooker also has an intake located all the way on the bottom of the barrel. It slides (rather than rotating like the hunsaker). It seemed like a pretty smart design.

el luchador 01-22-2018 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blue Kettle (Post 3938161)
I know for a lot of people on here their name is mud, but that new 18" Barrel House Cooker also has an intake located all the way on the bottom of the barrel. It slides (rather than rotating like the hunsaker). It seemed like a pretty smart design.

there are thousands of uds with the intake on the side and they have no problems.

also, for those of us who cook direct over the coals the intake on the bottom is a direct path for drippings to get on the floor below the cooker.

Its not a bad design but I'll pass.

As Dadsr4 suggested, 4 or 5 holes covered with magnets is as simple and as easy as it can get.

Hinds15 01-22-2018 07:04 PM

Any down sides to using the drum upside down. My Weber lid fit the bottom a little snug but it fits. Drum is unlined and was used once for coconut oil

el luchador 01-22-2018 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hinds15 (Post 3938404)
Any down sides to using the drum upside down. My Weber lid fit the bottom a little snug but it fits. Drum is unlined and was used once for coconut oil

mine is upside down and it makes it a heck of a lot easier to clean.also, when the lid rusts I can just replace a lid instead of a whole drum.

potential downside -its only happened once- i was cooking direct and I guess the food was not directly over the coals. the fat dripped down and I saw some coming out the bottom of the drum.

Hinds15 01-22-2018 07:53 PM

I was thinking about it not sealing good because the plastic/foam gasket needs to come out. Lowes has some silicone door and window gasket that's good up to 400 degrees. A strip or 2 of that may help seal it up or just some good old high temp rtv.

el luchador 01-22-2018 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hinds15 (Post 3938439)
I was thinking about it not sealing good because the plastic/foam gasket needs to come out. Lowes has some silicone door and window gasket that's good up to 400 degrees. A strip or 2 of that may help seal it up or just some good old high temp rtv.

do you mean sealed from air getting in, or from liquid getting out.

I havent had a problem with air. I can close all my vents and the fire dies in short order.

Hinds15 01-22-2018 09:14 PM

Just the grease from food. I have some weber legs left from another build and wondering if I can make them work.

Edit: just the axle and wheels

el luchador 01-22-2018 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hinds15 (Post 3938498)
Just the grease from food. I have some weber legs left from another build and wondering if I can make them work.

Edit: just the axle and wheels

the silicone should work.