Jucy Lucy

PnkPanther

is Blowin Smoke!
Name or Nickame
Adam
This is for throwdown going on right now

Being from MN, I decided to do a Jucy Lucy. This is probably closest MN has to a signature dish (MN has a pretty decent foodie scene, the BBQ scene is, umm, growing but still behind others)

There is some debate here in MN about the original, the 5-8 and Matts bar. Both have been featured on travel channel, but there are plenty of places that serve them.

Many places do wide varieties of Jucy, in fact when I make them I usually use a mix of swiss or montery jack and Bleu cheese.

For this, I went with the classic, American cheese. Here is one of two restaurants to claim original. If you want my thoughts on other establishments in MN, happy to share

http://mattsbar.com/

You might think it's just a cheeseburger with cheese in middle, big whoop. Putting cheese in middle creates a different texture, beef fat melts into cheese, cheese melts into burger, creating a jucy burger with gooey cheese. I normally wouldn't cut down the middle, but for this..

When cheese starts to ooze out, they're done. I probably needed another minute, but I didn't want all cheese to seep out, a real risk if not properly sealed. Also, I really wish I would had a flat top, as I think it just does better for this type of burger. Anyways, was a good meal (I was originally going to make fries, but didn't want to make mess)

Last edited:
Those look great, Adam. I've seen the American Cheez variety on the telly, but I really like the idea of your swiss/other + bleu combo... maybe with some sautéed onions... Oh, mama.

I'd put a hurting on one of those, especially with the pickles!

Nice! :thumb::thumb: I havent made one of those in four or five years...something is wrong with me!

I could tell you were a fellow Minnesotan because of the way you spelled Jucy Lucy. You even have the correct spelling of Jucy with the correct American cheese. Anything other than American Cheese is "Juicy". Your burger looks fantastic.

I know a couple of other people that need their Lions Tap fix when in town.

Well, being Minnesooota, you do have couple more. There's tater tot hotdish, and the ever popular lutefisk.

But I'd hit your Jucy Lucy any day.

Back