The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Ugly Drum Smoker (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23436)

ebijack 08-22-2015 04:29 AM

Very Nice!

icebox114 08-22-2015 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jsmith (Post 3318722)
Icebox, love what you did for the adjustable shelf. Curious what you used and where I might be able to get it.

Thanks,

Jsmith, it's just vertical shelving strips with tabs that you just pinch into whatever slot height you want. I used three vertical strips evenly spaced 1/3 of the way around the drum, screwed in to the drum. The tabs were a little loose in the slots, so I had to "open" the tabs a little with a flat screwdriver. Tougher to pinch in, but once they're in, they're tight. One of my grills fits perfect on the slots, one is a little smaller diameter, and so I have to be careful when I put it in and grabbing meat off it, etc.

icebox114 08-22-2015 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jsmith (Post 3318722)
Icebox, love what you did for the adjustable shelf. Curious what you used and where I might be able to get it.

Thanks,

Sorry, Jsmith. I picked it up at Home Depot in the shelving aisle. I hit the strips and the tabs with the propane torch to burn off whatever coating is on also.

Jsmith 08-22-2015 05:19 PM

Thanks Icebox, ended up finding it at Home Depot but decided to go a different route. Thanks for the tip, I have a buddy that is going to use this setup so I'll pass it along.

Jsmith 08-22-2015 05:39 PM

UDS is ready

1 Attachment(s)
Hey everyone, after hours of well spent time on this forum, I was able to complete my UDS build and start a new hobby. Newbie at smoking so it will be a learning process but with the wealth of knowledge you have provided I have a feeling I'll pick up the basics pretty quickly. Thanks for all of you who have taking the time to share and I look forward to continue to learn from your experiences as well as my own. Now if you could please excuse me, I should probably get back to my craft beer while I sit outside soaking in the aroma of apple wood smoke and spare ribs :thumb:

Bob C Cue 08-22-2015 06:07 PM

Congrats on your build; looks great.
Don't forget the most important rule. You cannot eat anything from your first 5 cooks. Must flash freeze and ship to the last five Brethren who posted to this thread. They will make sure the food is safe and Brethren worthy.

Best of luck.

Jsmith 08-22-2015 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob C Cue (Post 3336281)
Congrats on your build; looks great.
Don't forget the most important rule. You cannot eat anything from your first 5 cooks. Must flash freeze and ship to the last five Brethren who posted to this thread. They will make sure the food is safe and Brethren worthy.

Best of luck.

Thanks Bob for looking out. I have seasoned it for probably a total of 20 hours and followed seasoning advice from previous posts. Had temps above 400 with lots of smoke and a variety of meats that were tossed. Though it has only been 3 cooks, do you think I am good to go with that amount of cook time. Original barrel was sand blasted and then I burned it out followed by a vinegar wipe down, oil spray and a thorough seasoning as mentioned above. Thought I was good based on what others have posted and would hate to toss a good meat but defianantly want to play it safe.

Once again I appreciate your concern and advice. Everyone on here has been great!

Bob C Cue 08-22-2015 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jsmith (Post 3336301)
Thanks Bob for looking out. I have seasoned it for probably a total of 20 hours and followed seasoning advice from previous posts. Had temps above 400 with lots of smoke and a variety of meats that were tossed. Though it has only been 3 cooks, do you think I am good to go with that amount of cook time. Original barrel was sand blasted and then I burned it out followed by a vinegar wipe down, oil spray and a thorough seasoning as mentioned above. Thought I was good based on what others have posted and would hate to toss a good meat but defianantly want to play it safe.

Once again I appreciate your concern and advice. Everyone on here has been great!

I guess you are ok then. I will authorize and one-time exemption from the rules as long as you agree to the following condition. You must create a new thread with details and pron of your next cook. Agreed?

Jsmith 08-22-2015 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob C Cue (Post 3336444)
I guess you are ok then. I will authorize and one-time exemption from the rules as long as you agree to the following condition. You must create a new thread with details and pron of your next cook. Agreed?

You're too kind! I guess with all that this site has given me, the least I could do is post my next cook! Thanks for the pass this time :wink:

silfox1 09-03-2015 09:34 PM

Need suggestions on smoking a brisket and doing a couple slabs of of ribs in the same smoke on my UDS

ebijack 09-04-2015 04:05 AM

How are you wanting to do your brisket. HnF or LnS? Do you have a grate that has the swing access panels? if so, you could possibly hang the ribs.

wdpope1 09-06-2015 03:36 PM

smoked a boston butt till bone was loose but it turned to mush by then ok taste wise and easy to shred but
I think I`ll stick with straight out butts
and as always it didnt last all night

blockhd 09-09-2015 07:14 AM

Hey, guys, i got a question! I'm on the bring of finishing my UDS, made out of 150l barrel. Somewhere between your 30 gal and 55 gal drums... Now, i dont have the thermometer or thermopen yet, since they are still being shipped to me... Do you think i can cook a slab of ribs without them? I have 4 3/4 pipes for intake. Can you give me any advice on how to cook without thermometer? :D

dadsr4 09-09-2015 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blockhd (Post 3351893)
Hey, guys, i got a question! I'm on the bring of finishing my UDS, made out of 150l barrel. Somewhere between your 30 gal and 55 gal drums... Now, i dont have the thermometer or thermopen yet, since they are still being shipped to me... Do you think i can cook a slab of ribs without them? I have 4 3/4 pipes for intake. Can you give me any advice on how to cook without thermometer? :D

You can use a cheap oven thermometer to learn what intake adjustments lead to a given grate temp.

SmokinJohn 09-09-2015 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jsmith (Post 3336259)
Hey everyone, after hours of well spent time on this forum, I was able to complete my UDS build and start a new hobby. Newbie at smoking so it will be a learning process but with the wealth of knowledge you have provided I have a feeling I'll pick up the basics pretty quickly. Thanks for all of you who have taking the time to share and I look forward to continue to learn from your experiences as well as my own. Now if you could please excuse me, I should probably get back to my craft beer while I sit outside soaking in the aroma of apple wood smoke and spare ribs :thumb:

Nice Build. Are we going to see you at the Bash in October?