Does turbinado burn easier if ground down?

rikun

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Hi there,

I know Turbinado sugar won't burn as easily as regular or brown sugar, but is it only because of larger grain size?

I feel that it's hard to apply an even coating with a rub that has Turbinado in it. Also the larger grains tend to fall off pretty easily.

So I'm thinking of grinding my Turbinado down into smaller grains, but will it then behave as brown sugar regarding burning?

I don't think it would burn easier but it would have more burning if that makes sense.

I only use Turbinado in my rubs if I'm going to use sugar, if you can find the Florida Crystals brand it is a finer grind than other brands. Don't know about burn temp but I don't see why that would change.

I grind my own in a coffee grounder to get it the finer size I want. Only takes a minute. never had any burned sugar taste, etc using it.

From what I understand white sugar won't start burning until about 350 degrees, so unless you're cooking hotter than that, or over direct heat, I wouldn't worry about sugar burning, regardless of what kind you use.

I've been using turbinado sugar in my rub for about a year now, and for some reason on the last batch i decided to grind it down, same with the kosher salt too. I didn't notice a change in the texture or flavor of the meat, so I think it worked well, good flavor and an even coating, give it a shot!

Thanks,

Gave it a shot with brisket and found no difference whatsoever :-D

Maybe on shorter cooks the finer texture will help the rub to form more even bark.

Back