The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Ugly Drum Smoker (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23436)

zopi 09-28-2009 07:46 PM

Admiral craft food service supplies carries a 30 qt mixing bowl, which is
stainless, 7.5 inches deep and 22-5/8" in diameter....might with a little
rural engineering make a nice dome top...

Crazy Harry 09-28-2009 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zopi (Post 1039381)
Admiral craft food service supplies carries a 30 qt mixing bowl, which is
stainless, 7.5 inches deep and 22-5/8" in diameter....might with a little
rural engineering make a nice dome top...

web site? prices?

Wyley 09-28-2009 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crazy Harry (Post 1039459)
web site? prices?

Here you go....

http://www.waresdirect.com/products/...xing-Bowl40280

Paul

zopi 09-28-2009 10:12 PM

your google fu is weak...

http://www.admiralcraft.com/

it's under utensils..

Mark 09-29-2009 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by QuietOne (Post 1039370)
Gate Valve Versus Ball Valves. Does it make a real difference?

I can get more Gate Valves for free, I've scrounged the town pretty good for short throw ball valves, looks like any more I'm going to have to pay for, salvage price or new price and the two keep getting closer to each other. Seems now that people know I really want them and I'm searching high and low, suddenly there is a price attached. (I should have flown a little lower to get below the radar small town and all that.)

The plan is for 5 drums over the next 8 months. The first is going to be a totally basic. Then I'll start building in the "I wants to have"

No consensus or input on charcoal basket sizes?

Definately go for free. But I think you will find the flow characteristics of gate valves are a little more finnicky.

Tweedle 09-29-2009 08:49 AM

Yippie!

Ok this does not in any way contribute to this thread but I just finished reading it! It took almost a month of work days to get thru it. Would have been faster if it wasnt for the pesky "job" I have to do at work.

Now I have a couple questions....

1) Do you have to get the red liner out? and if so how?

2) How many holes go in the bottom for air flow?

3) How does the smoke get out ?

4) can you use a grill lid instead of the barrel lid?

5) is this hard to make?

Thanks for the info guys I'm eagerly awaiting your answers...

:roll::eek::lol:
(I hope you know I was kidding)

Wyley 09-29-2009 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zopi (Post 1039552)
your google fu is weak...

http://www.admiralcraft.com/

it's under utensils..

Really?

So that makes your fu what?, since your link provides neither a place he can buy, you have to be an authorized distributor, nor pricing. The link I provided answered both parts of his question, where to buy AND PRICE. I guess you missed the part of the website you linked to that says in great big letters, Authorized Distributers Click Here to Order Online. I doubt very seriously if he happens to be one.

Geez, try to do something nice for someone and get slammed by someone who thought they could do it better but failed.

Mark 09-29-2009 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wyley (Post 1039866)
Really?

So that makes your fu what?, since your link provides neither a place he can buy, you have to be an authorized distributor, nor pricing. The link I provided answered both parts of his question, where to buy AND PRICE. I guess you missed the part of the website you linked to that says in great big letters, Authorized Distributers Click Here to Order Online. I doubt very seriously if he happens to be one.

Geez, try to do something nice for someone and get slammed by someone who thought they could do it better but failed.

Bailff! Whack their pee pee's!

forestfire1 09-29-2009 01:13 PM

New UDS

1 Attachment(s)
I finally got my UDS built. Thanks all the bretheren, I took bits of everyones hints/tips and fumbled through it. Big thanks to JerryKR for his website.I have had several cooks in it now and it is fantastic. To test it I had a full load of Kingsford maintain 225 deg for 17 hours w/ the occasional coal basket shake.:shock:

I also have upgrades to come, wheels and casters, side table, bottle opener, etc.

I was also wondering if anyone else seems to have a build up of a tar-like substance on the lid and if so suggestions to minimize or clean it safely.

Thanks again.

Paul B 09-29-2009 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by forestfire1 (Post 1040194)
I finally got my UDS built. Thanks all the bretheren, I took bits of everyones hints/tips and fumbled through it. Big thanks to JerryKR for his website.I have had several cooks in it now and it is fantastic. To test it I had a full load of Kingsford maintain 225 deg for 17 hours w/ the occasional coal basket shake.:shock:

I also have upgrades to come, wheels and casters, side table, bottle opener, etc.

I was also wondering if anyone else seems to have a build up of a tar-like substance on the lid and if so suggestions to minimize or clean it safely.

Thanks again.

That's just the good oozes the eminate from you smoking endeavors!!!! Some like the buildup to help seal the lid to the UDS.

Just my take.....

Paul B

Mark 09-29-2009 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul B (Post 1040228)

That's just the good oozes the eminate from you smoking endeavors!!!! Some like the buildup to help seal the lid to the UDS.

Just my take.....

Paul B

Paul's right; it helps the lid seal to the drum. I wouldn't fret over it too much.

But mine isn't like tar. It's more like black/dry/flakey. About once a year I give it a quick de-scaling with a wire wheel on a angle grinder. It's a nasty job.

zopi 09-29-2009 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wyley (Post 1039866)
Really?

I was JOKING!...cripes...

almost any restaurant supply house can get them..no idea the price, as my local place doesn't carry them but by spec order...prolly about 30 bux if I had to guess...

Wyley 09-29-2009 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zopi (Post 1040270)
I was JOKING!...cripes...

almost any restaurant supply house can get them..no idea the price, as my local place doesn't carry them but by spec order...prolly about 30 bux if I had to guess...

Just a misunderstanding.

It's all good though.

MuddHonda 09-29-2009 06:13 PM

Can order a 22" grill $40 & grate $23 +$15-20 S&H,or but whole bbq for $129.99 and have a dome lid but I wanted a cheap smoker. So did any one use expanded metal 3/4".

forestfire1 09-29-2009 07:17 PM

Paul B and Mark, thanks for the hints. It seems to get so sticky that I can pick up the UDS by the lid before it opens. I will probably just scrape the edges every use for a preventitive. It could be the wood (2 lumps Hickory 1 lump Cherry) that Im using or it could be from cooking fatty meat. Not to worry as long as the meat keeps tasting good!:-D