The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   *** ADMIN NOTE *** NO PICS DIDN'T HAPPEN? I call BS! (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=77439)

Bacon_99 02-01-2010 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigabyte (Post 1165016)
Thankfully that butt is free of bark.

*gags* Man - now that doesn't really make me want to cook..... or eat for that matter.... :icon_sick

And please.... Don't post any phtos of butts with bark :roll: LMFAO

You guys crack me up.....

Beleive it or not - at work my network blocks all the pics on the site - but I still spend lots of time reading the posts because as good as pics are, I want to read tips, instructions and accounts of what someone did exactly so I can apply to my own cooks (being a beginner).... I often go right to the most worded, detailed post about a subject - although I admit a few pics do help the explanations along....

leanza 02-01-2010 05:57 PM

Moderation is good....I just need to practice some.

Rich Parker 02-01-2010 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chambersuac (Post 1164966)
You know, I can take ribbing for not posting pictures. What hacks me off is when someone complains that I didn't post enough pictures of a cook - or that the pictures were not high enough in quality.

I agree. It is also irritating when people say your photo isn't authentic.

leanza 02-01-2010 06:03 PM

How bout something a bit more subtle now and then like "Everything goes better with pics". Not harsh but to the point.

SmokinAussie 02-01-2010 06:05 PM

I really like putting in the photo's, but I have to admit that when I joined, I was a bit in awe of everyone and the things I saw posted. Actually, I still am.:icon_shy

I didn't want to immediately post something and find that it was just so ordinary etc...

Also, it IS a bit of a learning curve getting the photo's uploaded and looking good. It does take some time to gain confidence. I'd just recommend that we look after the new people. Anything under 100 posts and we should just encourage their participation... that's about how long it took me to get the hang of it....

Anything over 100 posts... we hammer them :twisted:

landarc 02-01-2010 06:15 PM

Even though I post pics, and do my best to make them look good, I really do try to make complete posts that work without the pics. If I boil up some ribs just for the heck of it, I can't see a reason to post, if I see a reason to post, then I want to include information as well. I will point out, from what I have seen, I am one of the few that has posted pics of cooks that did not work out also.

Teleking 02-01-2010 06:15 PM

I think the wife would have me commited if I took pics of food. IMO it all looks fake anyway like a food commercial that doesn't look the same when you go out to eat. Looks great in the pic, but disappointing in person. Just sayin.

Midnight Smoke 02-01-2010 06:17 PM

Here is a scenario, when I 1st joined and still did not understand the quality and knowledge of the people here. I posted some Pic's, not so great Pic's. Never had anybody cut me down for it. Besides learning to be a better cook my photography skills have increased.

February 2008...

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k6...Picture099.jpg

Today.
http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k6...cture779-1.jpg

CajunSmoker 02-01-2010 06:19 PM

Pics are great if you feel like you have something to show or tell, but after a couple hundred pork butt's you've kind of seen it all:icon_sick

I think we need a big old group hug:rolleyes:

but this is the Brethren and I know it would turn into a reach around:biggrin:

edit - sorry Terry, I wasn't talking about your butt;_)

landarc 02-01-2010 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CajunSmoker (Post 1165073)

but this is the Brethren and I know it would turn into a reach around:biggrin:

Now you have hurt Terry's feelings.

bbqbull 02-01-2010 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rick's Tropical Delight (Post 1164985)

i intentionally didn't take photos and did not post text or photos of some cooks because of the rant on here and in a personal blog saying posting photos for responses was lame and the responses were lame as well. i thought that was the whole purpose of qtalk. maybe i just don't understand.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1_T_Scot (Post 1165019)
I also have cut way back on posting about cooks. Take the time to take the pics then upload and do a write up. You get a bunch of views and no one says anything.
But forget to post the pictures and everyone jumps in/on.

Other forums (Non Food related) have a thank you button so if someone doesn't have anythign to say they can just leave a thanks.

See what happens when one veteran makes a comment?:roll:

Please post your pictures if you can.

BRBBQ 02-01-2010 06:25 PM

I remember when I was new. I got the "No pic didn't happen", heck got one last month I believe. Any way I don't post pics all the time because I have'nt found the book for dummies called, "How to post PICS"! I'm a dummy when it comes to computer things, and since I don't post pic's all the time, I forgot how I done it last time, So it becomes a pain in my BUTT!

palmcoastbob 02-01-2010 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by landarc (Post 1165068)
Even though I post pics, and do my best to make them look good, I really do try to make complete posts that work without the pics. If I boil up some ribs just for the heck of it, I can't see a reason to post, if I see a reason to post, then I want to include information as well. I will point out, from what I have seen, I am one of the few that has posted pics of cooks that did not work out also.

Do you boil your ribs in plain tap water or do you use bottled?:icon_devil

swamprb 02-01-2010 06:28 PM

I've been kicking the same idea around, but it isn't over food pics, but pit rehabs.

I'm in the middle of repairing ANOTHER vintage Japanese "Hibachi Pot" Kamado and was thinking whether or not to take pics of the progress? Do I need to add it to my earlier Kamado Restoration thread or start another? Does anyone give a chit? Same with my Bandera, I got it up and running- Grant (seattlepitboss) welded up some grates for me and used it for a Mega cook, and I haven't had a cook big enough to warrant firing her up!

What frustrates me is when someone posts about a problem they might be having with their pit or a build and don't say what type or brand cooker it is they are using?

Pics would be helpful!

landarc 02-01-2010 06:32 PM

I am in CA, bottled water for boiling...like duh!

I am with Brian on this, where images really matter is when people are asking for help, but, provide no information about what, how and where. Or a great job on something and there is no detail on what you are looking at or how it was done.

Midnight Smoke 02-01-2010 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CajunSmoker (Post 1165073)

I know exactly what you mean. Look at those 2 Pictures, one is clearer but they look generally the same. Seen one Butt you seen them all, at least in BBQ :wink:

MilitantSquatter 02-01-2010 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BBQchef33 (Post 1164915)
i dont think your post was taken offensively at all, and I also did not see it yet. :) So please dont think this came about from your posting.

The moderating team has been discussing this privatly for a few days. It was THEY who looked at it from several different perspectives and brought it out. When i read some of their comments, i realized it wasn't just me and now we say something. I'd like to publicly throw some kudos at them for being proactive and not let this just fester silently.

Don't sweat it Phil !!!!

Our moderator union is putting the finishing touches on our collecting bargaining terms for our new contract. :wink:

Seriously - Pics or vids are always nice.. but we just want this forum to remain a place where everyone feels that can participate, regardless of experience, equipment or technology capabilities (that includes my crappy pics !!) without feeling they will be called out.

Rick's Tropical Delight 02-01-2010 06:40 PM

i posted "no pix, didn't happen" on some face book walls. they defriended me.

NorthwestBBQ 02-01-2010 06:55 PM

Nice.

igolf2 02-01-2010 07:05 PM

Thank you! Sometimes I won't share a cook or recipe due to not having (for whatever reason) pictures.

Post em if ya got em but don't be afraid to post if ya don't.

Cracklin Jeorge 02-01-2010 07:17 PM

I am so glad I continued to read this thread, I was getting really confused for a while because for the first 2 or 3 pages there were no Pics and I wasn't sure this thread was really happening. Then I saw those HAMS and thankfully a short time later I saw that Pulled Pork which was a welcome relief.

Seriously, I'm new here and can honestly say this is the most happening BBQ blog on the net — pics or not. I had the privilege of meeting a few of you when Rick hosted a Mid Ohio Brethren Bash a while back and it was clear this goes well beyond bloggers with common interest. This is a family and I feel fortunate to have been welcomed in.

Thanks to everyone who makes this site happen!

ricksegers 02-01-2010 07:31 PM

Thank you oh great and powerful POOHBAH!!!!

Bbq Bubba 02-01-2010 07:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)
You know what they say....

NorthwestBBQ 02-01-2010 07:32 PM

Best thread ever.

swibirun 02-01-2010 07:38 PM

I think people have contributed some great information and thoughts about this subject here; however, I have to say that there is one very appropriate use of "no pics/didn't happen" that we should all continue to use and will not hurt someone's feelings.....

When one of us totally messes up (drops a fully cooked butt in front of hungry dogs, etc) and posts about it then someone cheerfully adds, "no pics/didn't happen":evil::biggrin:

NorthwestBBQ 02-01-2010 07:43 PM

Okay.

uziel5000 02-01-2010 07:52 PM

When I first found this forum, my first reaction was: "Wow, I wish there were no pics here." LOL

You see, one of the first threads I read was the "What not to turn in" sticky, and while many of the pics there are pretty obvious, some I just can't understand what is "wrong" in them (me being a newb and all). So if that is the worst in this group then I might as well give up.:icon_blush:

But I got over it. :biggrin:

D0ughB0y 02-01-2010 07:56 PM

/shrug Maybe because I'm from Jersey or perhaps something else, but I find the gentle ribbing that people give eachother over various things (including the no-pics-didn't-happen issue) to be comforting and one of the reasons that I enjoy the site.

It is the same treatment that I've gotten and given to my IRL friends as well as many of my corp. associates who I've developed good relationships with.

I can understand if it was heavy or harsh but from the first post in the cattle call with lots of support and welcome, I knew that this was a great place with great people... not a place that would tolerate people getting shredded left and right.

That's my four ha'pennys.

MilitantSquatter 02-01-2010 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by D0ughB0y (Post 1165255)
/shrug Maybe because I'm from Jersey or perhaps something else, but I find the gentle ribbing that people give eachother over various things (including the no-pics-didn't-happen issue) to be comforting and one of the reasons that I enjoy the site.

It is the same treatment that I've gotten and given to my IRL friends as well as many of my corp. associates who I've developed good relationships with.

I can understand if it was heavy or harsh but from the first post in the cattle call with lots of support and welcome, I knew that this was a great place with great people... not a place that would tolerate people getting shredded left and right.

That's my four ha'pennys.

Thanks Doughboy... Gentle, goodnatured ribbing is OK and part of the culture... but sometimes it can also be overkill or comes across as rude, demanding etc. Just need to look out for the membership base as a whole.

Meat Burner 02-01-2010 08:30 PM

It is actually extremely annoying when you post something and the next 10 responses is "NO PICS, DIDN'T HAPPEN". Jeeze people, quite beating the dead horse. Asking a question can sometimes be a hassle and not get valuable input and discussion. Thanks Poobah, it was time for that post. We all love pics but find another response...please!!!!

JD McGee 02-01-2010 08:39 PM

I'm as guilty as the next person for the pic ribbin...but Poob has a good point and I think we should all take it to heart...:cool:

This should make the Throwdown voting interesting...:twisted::lol:

Ok...now...:twisted:

Oh...hey...Norco's back! :biggrin:

Bbq Bubba 02-01-2010 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NorthwestBBQ (Post 1165225)
This thread makes me want to post some pics.

No details, didn't happen.

NorthwestBBQ 02-01-2010 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bbq bubba (Post 1165314)
no details, didn't happen.

:eusa_clap

Mlukewow 02-01-2010 08:56 PM

Thank you I ahve often not written about my cooks because I think pics are the best but hey I will start writing about it more!!!!

Boat-n-BBQ 02-01-2010 09:06 PM

Whoo, thanks because my pics arent very good anyway!
Like these chickens for example....:confused:

http://i683.photobucket.com/albums/v...8/100_0906.jpg

Seriously I'm with ya Phil :icon_bigsmil

landarc 02-01-2010 09:09 PM

I suggest you try smaller chickens.

Meat Burner 02-01-2010 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boat-n-BBQ (Post 1165360)

That's the pics I would like to see. A pic worth a thousand laughts. Good one bro!

D0ughB0y 02-01-2010 09:16 PM

Quote:

That muffin tin you're using seems to be working out well for you...

ThomEmery 02-01-2010 09:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The Kings says it did happen

D0ughB0y 02-01-2010 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThomEmery (Post 1165388)

that pic is NUTS!

swamprb 02-01-2010 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bbq Bubba (Post 1165314)
No details, didn't happen.

Shhhhh!

It's a secret, and I compete.

zydecopaws 02-01-2010 09:24 PM

Quote:

Dang, I would have like to see that chicken before you cut it up. Oh wait, no pics... :biggrin:

Seriously, there are times and places where "no pics, didn't happen" are ok. Q-Talk doesn't strike me as one of those places, especially if it keeps folks from posting. I haven't been posting a lot of my cooks in Q-Talk lately (even though I generally have pictures) as I spend a bunch of time writing them up in my blog, and rewriting them for Q-Talk can sometimes be a PITA. Bad on me, I suppose, but as others have pointed out, there are times when either the pics aren't that good or look an awful like those I posted last time I made that particular meal.

Now, back to the Woodpile where "no pics, didn't happen" is what keeps most of us out of more trouble...

Boat-n-BBQ 02-01-2010 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by D0ughB0y (Post 1165383)
That muffin tin you're using seems to be working out well for you...

Ya, and Myron thinks he was first!!!!

Boat-n-BBQ 02-01-2010 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThomEmery (Post 1165388)

Aww, I wish that didn't happen...:confused::eek::shock::confused:

cowgirl 02-01-2010 09:48 PM

Ha... Now I can post about my trip to the beach with some ribeyes, a grill and a bottle of rum. :biggrin: lol

landarc 02-01-2010 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cowgirl (Post 1165443)
Ha... Now I can post about my trip to the beach with some ribeyes, a grill and a bottle of rum. :biggrin: lol

Um...well...no pics didn't happen. Just sayin' :-P (see, I included the friendly smile so nobody can be offended)

zydecopaws 02-01-2010 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by landarc (Post 1165451)
Um...well...no pics didn't happen. Just sayin' :-P (see, I included the friendly smile so nobody can be offended)

No pics required for this one, let your imagination do all the work.

cowgirl 02-01-2010 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zydecopaws (Post 1165456)
No pics required for this one, let your imagination do all the work.

They were some danged fine looking ribeyes.... :wink::tongue::biggrin:

Midnight Smoke 02-01-2010 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cowgirl (Post 1165467)
They were some danged fine looking ribeyes.... :wink::tongue::biggrin:

Hay GrillFriend, I'll bet they were! :shock::wink:

Plowboy 02-01-2010 10:45 PM

I'm going to start posting in red so people take me more seriously.

While reading that, I was waiting for Phil to exclaim that someone spilt his Yoohoo.