The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Ugly Drum Smoker (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23436)

OferL 02-24-2022 01:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nuco59 (Post 4554529)
Me? I'd forego the dial type thermometer totally. I'd suggest a 2 probe digital thermo- use one probe for grate temp and one for your protein. The dial type looks cool but there is always a temp differential from the drum side to the middle- as much as 50degrees F or 10 degrees C. Sure, you can figure out what that difference is...but you will be needing a 2 probe digital to determine that soooo.

I agree. Just drill two small holes for the probes.

Shiv 02-25-2022 02:19 AM


Shame on me!
That tel-tru doesnt appeared on my amazon!!
Ive filtered international sellers and i forgot!
Shippings from uk are now a robbery since brexit.


I like the Maverick, but surely I forgot it outdoors for months!

Im now reading a thread about this:
https://www.amazon.es/Inkbird-Term%C...en%2C76&sr=1-3

Thanks!

OferL 02-26-2022 11:51 AM

Inkbirds are great. I have one for some years.

Fraser 02-28-2022 04:07 PM

Howdy!
Reading [I]entire[I] thread, I think I’m somewhere in 2009…..
Ok, really dumb question (I don’t think anybodys asked): rather than burn, why not use epoxy stripper? Then the wire brush, scotch brite, car wash thing, etc.
Live in city and already on FDs $hit list.
Seem to remember a post about using a citrus stripper but don’t think it got any traction.

Nuco59 02-28-2022 05:41 PM

Maybe it was tried- you are only up to 2009 after all :grin:
You might get a few more years and realize everything that could be tried, had been tried.

TBH- I think a lot of it it had to be a matter of what kind of liner you had to remove. Some methods worked better than others - some did not work at all. In either circumstance, it seems that a good burn out was suggested to burn out 1)whatever was missed by the chemical and 2) the nasty azz chemical itself.

my vote: find a drum with NO liner- crack a Miller High Life and enjoy the good times.

Shiv 03-16-2022 08:08 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Ok, finally I had all bought/made.

This is what Im ready to do:

Air inputs: 4 x 1in (3 cap + 1 valve)

Smoke output: 6 x 1 inch holes regulable output. (attached img)

2 racks (about 5" from top and 9" from top)

1 diffuser / water pan (about 13" from top 4" to the lower rack)

The charcoal basket is made 30cm diameter (11.8") x 40 cm (15.7") expanded metal.

2 holes for temp probes (I have this: https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/s...d.php?t=297352)


Should it work?
In 2 weeks Im going to the village to make & test it.

LongTong 03-16-2022 03:36 PM

Mods
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shiv (Post 4559276)
Ok, finally I had all bought/made.

This is what Im ready to do:

Air inputs: 4 x 1in (3 cap + 1 valve)

Smoke output: 6 x 1 inch holes regulable output. (attached img)

2 racks (about 5" from top and 9" from top)

1 diffuser / water pan (about 13" from top 4" to the lower rack)

The charcoal basket is made 30cm diameter (11.8") x 40 cm (15.7") expanded metal.

2 holes for temp probes (I have this: https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/s...d.php?t=297352)


Should it work?
In 2 weeks Im going to the village to make & test it.

It will work just fine but for me, I would:

Shorten the basket. 12" is more than enough.

I would re-think your output to something with a stack(s) for better flow...

Otherwise, enjoy building and cooking....

Kaptain Kadian 03-16-2022 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fraser (Post 4555787)
Howdy!
Reading [I]entire[I] thread, I think Im somewhere in 2009..
Ok, really dumb question (I dont think anybodys asked): rather than burn, why not use epoxy stripper? Then the wire brush, scotch brite, car wash thing, etc.
Live in city and already on FDs $hit list.
Seem to remember a post about using a citrus stripper but dont think it got any traction.

I just built a drum smoker with a drum that had a whitish cream colored food grade liner in it. I sprayed it down with the oven cleaner stuff from Sam's and let it sit with the lid on. It scraped right out with a razor blade

OferL 03-17-2022 05:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shiv (Post 4559276)
Ok, finally I had all bought/made.

This is what Im ready to do:

Air inputs: 4 x 1in (3 cap + 1 valve)

Smoke output: 6 x 1 inch holes regulable output. (attached img)

2 racks (about 5" from top and 9" from top)

1 diffuser / water pan (about 13" from top 4" to the lower rack)

The charcoal basket is made 30cm diameter (11.8") x 40 cm (15.7") expanded metal.

2 holes for temp probes (I have this: https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/s...d.php?t=297352)


Should it work?
In 2 weeks Im going to the village to make & test it.

Instead of 6 x 1 inch holes regulable output I'd use one 2" with a stack and a lid just for sutdown. You don't want to regulate the outgoing smoke as it might smother the fire and cause black smoke. You want a free flow. 2-3" is enough.

Shiv 03-17-2022 06:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LongTong (Post 4559366)
It will work just fine but for me, I would:

Shorten the basket. 12" is more than enough.

I would re-think your output to something with a stack(s) for better flow...

Otherwise, enjoy building and cooking....

Quote:

Originally Posted by OferL (Post 4559457)
Instead of 6 x 1 inch holes regulable output I'd use one 2" with a stack and a lid just for sutdown. You don't want to regulate the outgoing smoke as it might smother the fire and cause black smoke. You want a free flow. 2-3" is enough.


Thank you!

The fire box is made with a precutted expanded metal sheet, I thught it will be ok if it fits inside. Im waiting to test it to cut it or not.

The output is a diy daisy wheel, like weber, but bigger.
Its a lot easier to me to make 6 x 1" holes than 1 x 2" or 3"
If it is small, Ill just open the small or big holes of the lid.


I'll probably end up buying or making something like this:
https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/wGwAA...csE/s-l400.jpg
But im not ready now to pay 50 bucks for it (with shipping to Spain)


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:30 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
2003 -2012 BBQ-Brethren Inc. All rights reserved. All Content and Flaming Pig Logo are registered and protected under U.S and International Copyright and Trademarks. Content Within this Website Is Property of BBQ Brethren Inc. Reproduction or alteration is strictly prohibited.