The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Moving to fast (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=262496)

Eric In STL 07-11-2018 06:56 PM

Moving to fast

Soooooooo fellow brethren, what do you do when you realize you moved to fast without fully thinking this through. what am i referring to u ask, stick burning. for me, it's too much work tending to the fire, trying to keep temps up. I started with WSM 18, then went to a 22 for more space. I then got bit by the smoke bug, i purchased the original O C wrangler and added the O C over and under, not sure what i was chasing, so i sold all i had and purchased an O C Smokehouse. I then added a custom built reverse flow Fat Daddy smoker while not even using the Smoke house. You guessed it, i even added a wsm 18 again. Finally i realized that stick burning is not for me, after going through much money to get to this point. I was content when I 1st started with just my WSM's, stick burning took my joy away, chasing something i already had, great BBQ!!!!! :doh:

Burnt at Both Endz 07-11-2018 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric In STL (Post 4031080)
Soooooooo fellow brethren, what do you do when you realize you moved to fast without fully thinking this through. what am i referring to u ask, stick burning. for me, it's too much work tending to the fire, trying to keep temps up. I started with WSM 18, then went to a 22 for more space. I then got bit by the smoke bug, i purchased the original O C wrangler and added the O C over and under, not sure what i was chasing, so i sold all i had and purchased an O C Smokehouse. I then added a custom built reverse flow Fat Daddy smoker while not even using the Smoke house. You guessed it, i even added a wsm 18 again. Finally i realized that stick burning is not for me, after going through much money to get to this point. I was content when I 1st started with just my WSM's, stick burning took my joy away, chasing something i already had, great BBQ!!!!! :doh:

We've almost got Smitty talked into a pellet pooper, you had better watch out.:thumb:

jermoQ 07-11-2018 07:01 PM

$50 for the Smokehouse...

That is frustrating. Having fun is the most important part. If you lost it, downsize or throw a big party:razz:

Happy Hapgood 07-11-2018 07:09 PM

Welocme back to the fold.

Signed, Proud WSM owner.

medic92 07-11-2018 07:22 PM

I love my Meat Monster, but I'm constantly looking at other smokers and thinking about getting another one. One day an Ole Hickory will have me salivating and the next an FEC will get me thinking about a change.

The only thing that keeps me from being you is a checking account that politely informs me I'm keeping what I have for the foreseeable future.

Eric In STL 07-11-2018 07:23 PM

Jermo,$50, c'mon maaaannn!!!!!!!

Eric In STL 07-11-2018 07:27 PM

Medic, my account was talking to me, i was hard headed, now i gotta sell for less than i paid, just to try and recoup. :mad2:

pjtexas1 07-11-2018 07:34 PM

That's sounds like a roller coaster ride. Were you trying to keep too tight a temp on the stick burner or just didn't like feeding sticks every 30 minutes?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

medic92 07-11-2018 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric In STL (Post 4031103)
Medic, my account was talking to me, i was hard headed, now i gotta sell for less than i paid, just to try and recoup. :mad2:

I'm hard headed too, but my wife also chimes in with the checking account and that helps penetrate the thickness of my skull.

Then again, I'm only 2 1/2 hours away from St. Louis. Could I interest you in a smoker? :becky:

Eric In STL 07-11-2018 07:37 PM

Medic, i am much stronger now

el luchador 07-11-2018 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric In STL (Post 4031080)

Good morning.

I say that because now you are "woke".

Eric In STL 07-11-2018 07:39 PM

Pjtexas, both, I really had no idea what i was getting into. It has been a very expensive lesson :oops:

Eric In STL 07-11-2018 07:41 PM

Amen El, Amen

sudsandswine 07-11-2018 07:45 PM

I cooked on various devices, mostly charcoal based, for over 10 years before I made the jump to a stick burner, and while I still do and probably always will have some charcoal fueled cookers, theres no going back for me from a stick burner. :thumb:

pjtexas1 07-11-2018 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric In STL (Post 4031117)
Pjtexas, both, I really had no idea what i was getting into. It has been a very expensive lesson :oops:

Yeah, it's not for everybody. It gets romanticized to some extent but you have to love playing with fire.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk