The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Best Fire? (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=40934)

TALEG8R BBQ 04-15-2008 03:44 PM

Best Fire?

I have a NBBD. What's the best way to get to temp - chimney worth of lump or K? Once @ temp & fuel burning down, how much should I add - another chimney? I figure a fist size chunk or two of wood every time I add fuel to maintain temp.

Would it be ok to add a chimney worth of lump or K to a pile of "raw" or would that waste or slow down the time to get the chamber up to temp?
I'm leary of adding "raw" K on top due to the fumes - am I correct?

Just trying to hone in w/ less trial & error..... thanks in advance for your input!

Pipin' Pig 04-15-2008 04:10 PM

In my bandera I used to put one chimney in and wait for it to come to temp and then regulate with the dampers to maintain my target temp (usually 230-235). I find it much easier to shoot for and maintain the lower temp. I would try to keep a fire of lump going about the size of a large cereal bowl adding about a half chimney of lump and one hw chunk when I couldn't keep the temp from dropping with my dampers.

I have since gone to a charcoal basket approach and will add a full chimney at the start to get the temp to target and then fill the entire basket with unlit lump right on top of the lit. I spread some chips or a few chunks from one end of my basket to the other and then close the dampers down to almost nothing. This will have me running at target for about 2 hours before the temp starts to drop.

With each addition after that, I rake the coals to one end of the basket (usually the one closest to the cooking chamber) and then repeat pouring the fresh lump on top of the newly raked coals and again spreading the chips/chunks along a line from one end of the basket to the other.

I get even better control now with my stoker using this method and a modified damper end that is completely taped up with aluminum tape except for my fan adapter.

Divemaster 04-15-2008 04:34 PM

I would stay away from raw 'K'... I just don't like the smell...

On the other hand, I've never had a problem with using raw lump.

Pipin' Pig 04-15-2008 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Divemaster (Post 614492)
I would stay away from raw 'K'... I just don't like the smell...

On the other hand, I've never had a problem with using raw lump.

I can't comment on using "k" period. I am not a big fan. I can tell when someone uses K and especially Match light and I don't think that a good thing. I am not a fan of chemically flavored Q

watertowerbbq 04-15-2008 08:25 PM

Shane,

I have a WSM and I always cook with some raw K on the bottom and hot coals on top. I adjust the number of hot coals I put on top depending on what I'm trying to do. Last weekend I pul a chimney of raw on the bottom and 1 1/2 chimney's of hot on top and it lasted for 9 hours.

I've never had someone tell me that they could taste that it was Kingsford, but maybe some people have more acute taste buds.