The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   2013 Weber Jumbo Joe quality control issues... (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=155415)

Churrasqueiro Bob 03-05-2013 11:44 AM

2013 Weber Jumbo Joe quality control issues...

I bought the new Jumbo Joe a few days ago after reading some glowing reviews online. When I finished putting it together, I found that the lid or bowl was out of round and that the lid wouldn't fit without forcing it down which in turn made it stick hard enough to lift up the grill when I tried to remove it. Also, the lid rubbed pretty hard on the bracket for the lid holder, it would be scratched up in no time. Problem #3 is where the wire for the lid holder goes into the bottom of the kettle. It goes into the kettle at a sharp angle causing the washers to immediately chip the porcelain.

So I dismantle it, take it back to Lowe's and get another one. I open it in the parking the lot to check the fit of the lid. It fits fine in the position that it would be in while using the lid holder, but a bit out of round and sticking if you put it on in a different orientation. Ok, I decide that I can live with this. I go home and put the new one together and low and behold, I have the same issue with the lid holder bracket rubbing the lid and the wire fore the lid holder chipped off the porcelain the first time I closed it.

Have any of you who own this grill noticed any of these issues? Is this the norm or did I get one from a bad batch? The chipped porcelain really bothers me since it is a big chip, the size of the supplied washer that goes on the end of the wire to supposedly protect the grill bottom. And no matter what I do with the lid holder, it is going to rub the lid hard and in short order it will scrape off the porcelain and this area will rust along with the area where the wire bail enters the bottom of the grill.

Any input will be appreciated. I really don't feel like taking this thing apart again and returning it again. I have not used it yet just in case I do have to return it. I haven't called Weber yet, I wanted to see if anyone else has had these problems or if they just had a bad run. Thanks.

Trumpstylz 03-05-2013 11:48 AM

Are you putting the lid on wit the vents open or closed? If closed, that may be causing it to stick.

Churrasqueiro Bob 03-05-2013 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trumpstylz (Post 2394588)
Are you putting the lid on wit the vents open or closed? If closed, that may be causing it to stick.

It did it on the second one with no vents installed. On the new JJ you have to install the top and bottom vents yourself, they are not pre installed. I can live with that part, the chipped porcelain is what really bothers me.

Bluesman 03-05-2013 12:05 PM

Call Weber customer service and see what they suggest. I have found them to be very helpful. Let us know how it turns out.

Churrasqueiro Bob 03-05-2013 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bluesman (Post 2394609)
Call Weber customer service and see what they suggest. I have found them to be very helpful. Let us know how it turns out.

I am going to call them. I wanted to get feedback from anyone else who has one of these first. I'll keep the forum posted on what I find out.

Bluesman 03-05-2013 12:21 PM

One thing to keep in mind. Weber does not have serial numbers per se. They have year date codes. So even if they discovered an issue after the grills have left the facility, they would have no way of knowing were they were. This could have been, and most likely was, one continuous lot. These were most likely all shipped to a single Lowe's distribution center and then to the stores from there. I would imagine they will just send you a new unit with a return UPS slip to send yours back.

MisterChrister 03-05-2013 12:42 PM

I'm a big Weber fan, but I have to admit I'm pretty unimpressed with the build quality of the new big Joe. The screwed on lid handle, the bolt on vents, and overall fit and finish seems to be lacking on the ones I've seen/touched/felt. I really wanted to like it and buy one but I just can't get over what I've seen so far. I just hope they don't decide to cut corners like this on their larger models going forward......

Churrasqueiro Bob 03-05-2013 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MisterChrister (Post 2394667)
I'm a big Weber fan, but I have to admit I'm pretty unimpressed with the build quality of the new big Joe. The screwed on lid handle, the bolt on vents, and overall fit and finish seems to be lacking on the ones I've seen/touched/felt. I really wanted to like it and buy one but I just can't get over what I've seen so far. I just hope they don't decide to cut corners like this on their larger models going forward......

I forgot about the bolt on vents. These too seem to be prone to scratching the lid and bowl. No matter how much I fiddled with them, they still made pretty heavy contact and scraped.

1911Ron 03-05-2013 12:54 PM

My lid was out of round making it stick also, what i did was lock down the lid and let it sit. After a couple of days i unlocked it and it came open real nice.

Churrasqueiro Bob 03-05-2013 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1911Ron (Post 2394681)
My lid was out of round making it stick also, what i did was lock down the lid and let it sit. After a couple of days i unlocked it and it came open real nice.

What about the handle bail wire washers, do they gouge the side of the kettle? And does the lid rub harshly against the bail support bracket?

caliking 03-05-2013 01:46 PM

Call Weber. They will make things right for you. There is one guy, name starts with an M, who doesn't always know what he's talking about. But everyone else is super swell there.

KnucklHed BBQ 03-05-2013 01:55 PM

haven't seen or played with one yet but if there is one thing I know about Weber, their CS is top notch and will take care of you!

I'm not doubting you, but I find it kinda hard to believe that QC is that bad with the JJ's... If I remember right Weber randomly takes 1 grill an hour from the assembly line (after it's boxed up) and assembles it to make sure all parts are there and the fit & finish is good...

Call CS and let us know what the results are!

Churrasqueiro Bob 03-05-2013 03:17 PM

Customer service is closed due to inclement weather in their area. They will be open again tomorrow so I'll call back then. I just hope that someone else who has this grill here will let me know if theirs is the same.

prodano 03-05-2013 04:27 PM

2013 Weber Jumbo Joe quality control issues...

I had the same problem with the lid sticking but after I used it once or twice, it fits perfectly with no sticking now. I am not a fan of the vents as they are scraping the heck out of the lid, but am overall very satisfied with the grill. Small enough for portability but large enough for indirect grilling.

Churrasqueiro Bob 03-05-2013 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by prodano (Post 2394969)
I had the same problem with the lid sticking but after I used it once or twice, it fits perfectly with no sticking now. I am not a fan of the vents as they are scraping the heck out of the lid, but am overall very satisfied with the grill. Small enough for portability but large enough for indirect grilling.

Do the washers on the bail wire gouge the side of the bowl and does the bracket for the lid holder rub hard against the lid when you push it back? It seems to me that the bail wire is bent at sharp angle were it enters the bottom of the kettle causing the washer to twist and gouge the porcelain when it is locked into the notch on the lid holder bracket. Both of the grills I had were the same in this regard.