The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Ugly Drum Smoker (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23436)

Mark 05-08-2009 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DDave (Post 920015)
Like I said . . . reinventing the wheel. How are you going to get back in there to reload the wood? And having to reload all the time thoughout say a 17 hour brisket smoke is really going to be a pain.

I'm not knocking you, brother, truly I am not. Just trying to save you some frustration.

Read this.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=43943

All you need to know to build it.

THIS thread is what I would call "drum theory". It is a very worthwhile read. Yes it does take a long time but then so does smoking a brisket. Both are worth the time spent.:biggrin:

And yes, you can grill with these thin

Dave

You add more wood through a device I call a door. Yes using wood forgoes any similarity to RONCO technology.

LT72884 05-08-2009 03:19 PM

thanx guys. Sorry for the miss communication and rudeness of my post. I was not trying to do that. Just mis typed what i wanted to say

Yeah i will be using 4 x 3/4 incj intake holes using a ball valve for one of them and plugs for the others. I could use magnets to

timmy7649 05-08-2009 03:34 PM

nice uds. good luck on your cook.

DDave 05-08-2009 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark (Post 920056)
You add more wood through a device I call a door. Yes using wood forgoes any similarity to RONCO technology.

Ah yes . . . a door . . . I have heard of those. :biggrin:

My bad anyway, I got you mixed up with a different poster. It sounds like you have a very different purpose in mind than the basic UDS. I shall read more carefully next time.

Dave

Weiser 05-08-2009 08:27 PM

A Door in a UDS is no longer a UDS.
Forget that crap and follow the instructions.
Otherwise go build whatever ya want.
It won't be a UDS. You'll have to come up with a new name
for the contraption.:wink:

Weiser

Dave, this is in no way directed at you. I agree with ya.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DDave (Post 920136)
Ah yes . . . a door . . . I have heard of those. :biggrin:

My bad anyway, I got you mixed up with a different poster. It sounds like you have a very different purpose in mind than the basic UDS. I shall read more carefully next time.

Dave

N8man 05-08-2009 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark (Post 920056)
You add more wood through a device I call a door.

ROFLMFAO!!!!:biggrin:

JTank70 05-08-2009 09:21 PM

A lot of work for sure.

6 Attachment(s)
Oh Masters of the Drum.

Do you guys think this looks good to go now for seasoning or should I burn it One more time?

It held concentrated mango juice.
It had a light tan liner in it and it burned out nicely on this first burn. I then wire brushed it, washed it with soapy water, brushed it again, the wiped out all the residue with denatured alchohol. phew alot of work.

Do i have to tally up the cost of the beers I drank to get me throught this when I figure the cost of the drum?:eek: $$$$$$$$$$$$$

If it is good to go, what temp and for how long and how many times should I season It before cooking?

I think I am just gonna paint the outside with flat black grill paint. Should I paint the outside before or after seasoning?

I think I read somewhere that someone here just seaswoned the outside of their drum instead of painting it. How do you think this would work? I might be interested in this method instead.

Thanks again guys

Barbarian 05-08-2009 09:26 PM

3 Attachment(s)
hey LT,
I was going to post the "bible tutorial" link but Dave beat me to it. I understand your frustration with going completely through the UDS bible, but there is very good stuff in there and it tells you about the failed mods so you hopefully do not have to go through the same problems that others did because they tried to re-invent the wheel. I am guilty of a failure, but my mod was not in the bible but it is now.

Here are a couple other thoughts for you. The easy no weld way to put the intakes in (the shower socket is great for this), my 12" thermo just below the lower grate held nice and level with a hole through the bolt mod and the way I did my grate bolts so that they would be flush on the outside of the drum.

Beerwolf 05-08-2009 11:00 PM

I sure am glad someone came up with the 12" thermometer mod... I put one on my son in law's drum with the drilled bolt mod.. its the catzazz and about 1/3 the cost of the old "stubby" thermometers

Jerry... what are the parts you are using for the flush nuts deal? Im sure they are over the counter items, but Im not wrapping my brain around them at moment.

Radical Rick 05-09-2009 01:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beerwolf (Post 920284)
I sure am glad someone came up with the 12" thermometer mod... I put one on my son in law's drum with the drilled bolt mod.. its the catzazz and about 1/3 the cost of the old "stubby" thermometers

Jerry... what are the parts you are using for the flush nuts deal? Im sure they are over the counter items, but Im not wrapping my brain around them at moment.

the 12 inch thermo mod is a great sounding mod, but I would also recommend a temp gage so you'll know what temp your cooking your meat. there is a difference when cooking a butt to say 190 using a 200 degree heat vs 190 using a 300 degree heat. If I am wrong please say so! :icon_blush:

Beerwolf 05-09-2009 08:10 AM

[quote=Radical Rick;920312]the 12 inch thermo mod is a great sounding mod, but I would also recommend a temp gage so you'll know what temp your cooking your meat. there is a difference when cooking a butt to say 190 using a 200 degree heat vs 190 using a 300 degree heat. If I am wrong please say so! :icon_blush:[/quote

You kind of lost me on that one... the 12 inch thermo is used as a temp gauge to monitor cooking temps (i.e. how hot the fire is) A thermo on the meat seems to be a matter or preference as 190 on one butt will not necessarlly yield identical results from butt to butt

DDave 05-09-2009 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Weiser (Post 920210)

Weiser

I know it wasn't directed at me.:biggrin: And I'm glad you also posted what I was thinking.:biggrin:

Dave

Norcoredneck 05-09-2009 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Weiser (Post 920210)

Weiser

Whoa Pilgrim,
I am very knowledgeable about the type of drum smoker I build. I have made changes, some work work some don't. Won't call myself an expert but willing to share my knowledge. What exactly is a UDS? It is a culmination of ideas that has been shared on this forum. Some have doors, hatches, pans, box's, baskets. Truth be known a UDS like Moink is Brethren birthed term. You will see it on many forums, blogs, articles. The first few UDS's were by Model Maker, Big Mista, and others. JGH 1204 cioned the phrase. To me an Ugly Drum Smoker is a homemade cooker made from a drum period.

Truth be known what most pigeonhole as a true UDS is actually a BDS clone, some modified some not. To jump on the band wagon and chastise someone for posting an idea in this thread is wrong. It is what it is because of ideas people contributed along the road. Although long, it is worth the read. It helps one understand what ideas have been tried and what the posters results were. Long time posters in the thread (including myself) get a little testy when every 3 weeks the same stuff comes up. It is pretty evident that they didn't put in the time to read the thread because the same stuff gets rehashed over and over. In my advice I have given is always build a simple one, get cooking on it, eat some great BBQ and build another and out cool everyone on that drum. Pass your basic drum on to another friend and spread the love of BBQ.

Norco

jtwisted13 05-09-2009 04:34 PM

^^^^ what Norcoredneck said... i read through the whole thread twice...

i finally finished mine a couple of days ago... she took her maiden voyage today... the only thing i would do differently is to not wait so long to build the next one... i followed the KISS theory and it works great...

proof is in the pictures...

http://i43.tinypic.com/s2sg3r.jpg

http://i42.tinypic.com/34s5xs7.jpg

http://i39.tinypic.com/33f5h0i.jpg

http://i44.tinypic.com/20u1zcw.jpg

http://i42.tinypic.com/2myb4ms.jpg

Meat Burner 05-09-2009 04:34 PM

Good post brother Norco.

RI-Deadeye 05-09-2009 05:35 PM

!st UDS build

Well, I have gone through all 208 pages and I am ready to build. I have procured two Stainless steel drums and the necessary accessories to complete both builds. I am using the KISS method of construction and utilizing my fabrication skills. The two UDS's will be the finishing touches on phase one of my Horseshoe Stadium.

JD McGee 05-09-2009 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RI-Deadeye (Post 920580)
Well, I have gone through all 208 pages and I am ready to build. I have procured two Stainless steel drums and the necessary accessories to complete both builds. I am using the KISS method of construction and utilizing my fabrication skills. The two UDS's will be the finishing touches on phase one of my Horseshoe Stadium.

WOW! SS drums...nice! I can't wait to see these puppies...:biggrin:

LT72884 05-09-2009 08:21 PM

So i have read ALOT today and found a couple of items i need to make sure of. First one is zinc coated bolts vs SS. All i have is zinc coated/plated (according to label) bolts and nuts. HD wants 5$ a hit for a 2 inch SS bolt at the location near me. I really dont feel like getting sick from zinc poisoning. Any one research this. I have noticed it is a 50 50 battle. some sya its not gonna hurt, others say it will. Has there been a final conclusion made on this?

thanx

Norcoredneck 05-09-2009 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LT72884 (Post 920740)
So i have read ALOT today and found a couple of items i need to make sure of. First one is zinc coated bolts vs SS. All i have is zinc coated/plated (according to label) bolts and nuts. HD wants 5$ a hit for a 2 inch SS bolt at the location near me. I really dont feel like getting sick from zinc poisoning. Any one research this. I have noticed it is a 50 50 battle. some sya its not gonna hurt, others say it will. Has there been a final conclusion made on this?

thanx

If it is what you got to use burn with torch and wire brush. Avoid fumes.

Weiser 05-09-2009 09:00 PM

No Expert here Norco. In fact, most everything I know about these things
has derived from this thread and your contributions to it.

I love experimenting just as much as the next guy, but a door?
Please. Point me to a post on this board where a door has been successfully employed.
This is taking MOINK/Moink to a new level.

Sorry that you may have been offended by my earlier comments
even though I wouldn't classify them as being chastising.
That was not in the context that my comments were offered.:wink:

Weiser

Quote:

Originally Posted by Norcoredneck (Post 920545)
Whoa Pilgrim,
I am very knowledgeable about the type of drum smoker I build. I have made changes, some work work some don't. Won't call myself an expert but willing to share my knowledge. What exactly is a UDS? It is a culmination of ideas that has been shared on this forum. Some have doors, hatches, pans, box's, baskets. Truth be known a UDS like Moink is Brethren birthed term. You will see it on many forums, blogs, articles. The first few UDS's were by Model Maker, Big Mista, and others. JGH 1204 cioned the phrase. To me an Ugly Drum Smoker is a homemade cooker made from a drum period.

Truth be known what most pigeonhole as a true UDS is actually a BDS clone, some modified some not. To jump on the band wagon and chastise someone for posting an idea in this thread is wrong. It is what it is because of ideas people contributed along the road. Although long, it is worth the read. It helps one understand what ideas have been tried and what the posters results were. Long time posters in the thread (including myself) get a little testy when every 3 weeks the same stuff comes up. It is pretty evident that they didn't put in the time to read the thread because the same stuff gets rehashed over and over. In my advice I have given is always build a simple one, get cooking on it, eat some great BBQ and build another and out cool everyone on that drum. Pass your basic drum on to another friend and spread the love of BBQ.

Norco

Mtnsmoke 05-09-2009 09:28 PM

Quote:

To me an Ugly Drum Smoker is a homemade cooker made from a drum period.
Ding, ding,ding we have a winner. Now can we get back to the build info this thread is famous for.

JTank70 05-10-2009 10:12 AM

Finished My UDS

7 Attachment(s)
Well My UDS is finally done!

Finished it yesterday.

I Had to wait 2 weeks after getting the barrel to burn it due to Fire danger being class 4 or 5 for those 2 weeks. (just my luck)
Once I got it burned out things went a little better but man barrel cleaning/brushing is tough, hard work.

I used a vent cap on the exhaust and an old metal drawer knob on the lid. I use the knob to pop the lid loose and then grab the lid by the exhaust and the cap allows the lid to hang nicely on the side of the drum.

Other build notes include two ¾” intakes with brass nipples/caps. One 1” intake with 18” riser and ball valve. Stainless steel bolts for the grate to sit upon with chrome nuts on the outside. Painted with the standard flat black hi-temp grill paint.

I oiled her up with pam and put the heat to her. She is seasoning nicely. It was windy yesterday but I caught the temps on the way up and she did good in the 240* to 255* range for about 3 hours steady. Then I opened up all the vents to see what she could do and it seemed to level out and hover right around 300*. All in all she ran for about 5 hours. When I shut her down she was stone cold in less than an hour.

Can’t wait to cook on it! It’s chicken thighs, drums and a fatty for mothers day!!! It’s gonna be rainy and windy here. (again, just my luck)

I am posting another thread in a little bit with a few questions on the cook. Swing by there and lend a brother a hand with his first smoke ever. I will be posting that one after I do a few things for mother JTank.

Thanks to everyone here for the “Bible” and all the Ideas in it. Special mention to Barbarian for help on my Charcoal Basket. And to h20loo for The advice on going up a size for an intake with a riser.

Heres the pics to prove it really happened!!

capri man 05-10-2009 10:17 AM

looks great!!:eusa_clap now lets see some meat pron!!
:mrgreen:

Dr_KY 05-10-2009 10:37 AM

Beautiful! I agree let's see some animal in there. :)

mranum 05-10-2009 11:06 AM

Dang- only took me a weeks worth of reading to get all the way through this.:tongue: Lots and lots and lots of great info on what does and doesn't seem to work.

Now I just wish I would have taken notes:icon_sad

Hopefully I get started on mine next week.

JTank70 05-10-2009 11:44 AM

Didn't I read in this thread somewhere that the actual temp in the drum is slightly different than the side mounted thermo reads?

Mine has a 3 1/2" probe and is 1/2" or less below the grate.

Thanks.

Norcoredneck 05-10-2009 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JTank70 (Post 921202)
Didn't I read in this thread somewhere that the actual temp in the drum is slightly different than the side mounted thermo reads?

Mine has a 3 1/2" probe and is 1/2" or less below the grate.

Thanks.

In my opinion shoot for 200 on side gauge and that will gets me @230 center grate. I clock my thermometer, that is I put the 200 at the 12 o'clock position so I can quickly read from a distance and know how it is doing.

bproffer 05-10-2009 03:46 PM

I got my drum all seasoned yesterday/today. As I have never cooked on a UDS, I did a dry run using some hickory chunks and a 10lb bag of Royal Oak lump. After 18 hours, I noticed the temps dropped from 225-230 to 195-200. Opened her up and gave the coal basket a good shake and now I'm back in business. I still had 1/3-1/2 the lump left in the box. These things are sweet.

Hopefully I'll have my first UDS pron later this week.

LT72884 05-10-2009 08:21 PM

so i take it that i have to season it first before i cook on it? or will one cook season it for me. And wtf is a fatty LOL hahaha

thanx

Weiser 05-10-2009 08:30 PM

2 Attachment(s)
WTF is this?
Can't really call it a UDS, nor can you call it
a BDS Clone.
I'm open to all suggestions. :razz:

Weiser
I experiment a bit too.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Norcoredneck (Post 920545)
Whoa Pilgrim,

Norco

JTank70 05-10-2009 08:37 PM

Is that some kind of box built around a smoker? Or is it actually THE smoker itself?

I am New to this stuff, puzzled but intrigued.

Weiser 05-10-2009 08:53 PM

Tanker, I'm confused too.
My Wife blames it on the Alzheimer's but I've had this problem all of my life.
Ya, it is kind of a box built around some kind of Smoker.:confused:
I don't mean to be elusive here but that is all I can really divulge till it is done later this week.
Photos of the build will be posted.

Weiser

Quote:

Originally Posted by JTank70 (Post 921595)
Is that some kind of box built around a smoker? Or is it actually THE smoker itself?

I am New to this stuff, puzzled but intrigued.

LT72884 05-10-2009 08:56 PM

its a snow cone maker

Weiser 05-10-2009 09:18 PM

Hot Air corn popper.

Weiser

LT72884 05-10-2009 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Weiser (Post 921638)
Hot Air corn popper.

Weiser

DAMN IT, that was my first guess

Norcoredneck 05-10-2009 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Weiser (Post 921583)
WTF is this?
Can't really call it a UDS, nor can you call it
a BDS Clone.
I'm open to all suggestions. :razz:

Weiser
I experiment a bit too.

Everybody likes a good experiment
Some work, some don't, some admit it, some won't
http://www.myunusual.com/Pix/Hobbies...0car%20002.jpg

http://www.dinosaurtheory.com/spruce_goose.jpg

LT72884 05-10-2009 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Norcoredneck (Post 921688)

wow an f-50 made of wood. Dang. My friend owned a lambo and Ferrari shop. It sucked for him because he had to buy every car that rolled onto the lot for insurance reasons.

Phubar 05-11-2009 04:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JTank70 (Post 921145)
Well My UDS is finally done!

Finished it yesterday.

I Had to wait 2 weeks after getting the barrel to burn it due to Fire danger being class 4 or 5 for those 2 weeks. (just my luck)
Once I got it burned out things went a little better but man barrel cleaning/brushing is tough, hard work.

I used a vent cap on the exhaust and an old metal drawer knob on the lid. I use the knob to pop the lid loose and then grab the lid by the exhaust and the cap allows the lid to hang nicely on the side of the drum.

Other build notes include two ¾” intakes with brass nipples/caps. One 1” intake with 18” riser and ball valve. Stainless steel bolts for the grate to sit upon with chrome nuts on the outside. Painted with the standard flat black hi-temp grill paint.

I oiled her up with pam and put the heat to her. She is seasoning nicely. It was windy yesterday but I caught the temps on the way up and she did good in the 240* to 255* range for about 3 hours steady. Then I opened up all the vents to see what she could do and it seemed to level out and hover right around 300*. All in all she ran for about 5 hours. When I shut her down she was stone cold in less than an hour.

Can’t wait to cook on it! It’s chicken thighs, drums and a fatty for mothers day!!! It’s gonna be rainy and windy here. (again, just my luck)

I am posting another thread in a little bit with a few questions on the cook. Swing by there and lend a brother a hand with his first smoke ever. I will be posting that one after I do a few things for mother JTank.

Thanks to everyone here for the “Bible” and all the Ideas in it. Special mention to Barbarian for help on my Charcoal Basket. And to h20loo for The advice on going up a size for an intake with a riser.

Heres the pics to prove it really happened!!

Congrats Tank!
Really looks good!
Hope it works as well as it looks good....probably is!
Hopefully I have both of my drums ready by beginnig next month.
I have that date set because it's my birthday then.
Wanna have a big food pron party on!
Here are some pics of yesterday were we cut the barrels open.

Herbert

ytsejam 05-11-2009 04:16 PM

so i am planning on firing up my uds for the first real cook. last week i fired it up, and just played with the air, and got a fill for things, then threw a couple fatties/chicken wings on for a few hours.
Now, I got 2 butts going on, gonna make my famous, award winning tamales :-D.

Until now, i always used my ecb, and have made some good stuff. I know the characteristics of that thing like the back of my hand, on account of using it for 10 years now. since this is my first big thing on the usd, im a little apprehensive/excited.

I've always been a mop every hour kind of guy. but i think i am gonna skip this on account of the temp spike when i lifted the lid on the uds. Also, i am gonna try to wrap in butcher paper instead of foil, on account of i am almost out of foil, but have mucho paper on hand, and in this economy, don't want to spend any money.

At any rate, this is just my presmoke ramblings. I plan on taking bunch of notes and pics. so stay tuned

N8man 05-11-2009 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ytsejam (Post 922430)
so i am planning on firing up my uds for the first real cook. last week i fired it up, and just played with the air, and got a fill for things, then threw a couple fatties/chicken wings on for a few hours.
Now, I got 2 butts going on, gonna make my famous, award winning tamales :-D.

Until now, i always used my ecb, and have made some good stuff. I know the characteristics of that thing like the back of my hand, on account of using it for 10 years now. since this is my first big thing on the usd, im a little apprehensive/excited.

I've always been a mop every hour kind of guy. but i think i am gonna skip this on account of the temp spike when i lifted the lid on the uds. Also, i am gonna try to wrap in butcher paper instead of foil, on account of i am almost out of foil, but have mucho paper on hand, and in this economy, don't want to spend any money.

At any rate, this is just my presmoke ramblings. I plan on taking bunch of notes and pics. so stay tuned

From time to time I mop my Pork Butts during Smoke Sessions on my DrumPit, you just have to plan for it, shut down your air intakes 5 minutes before mop time, lift that lid and get in there and out as quick as you can.
Leave air intakes shut down for another 5 minutes then open it back up to where you had it before and the temp spikes will be almost nonexistent.

ytsejam 05-11-2009 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by N8man (Post 922437)
From time to time I mop my Pork Butts during Smoke Sessions on my DrumPit, you just have to plan for it, shut down your air intakes 5 minutes before mop time, lift that lid and get in there and out as quick as you can.
Leave air intakes shut down for another 5 minutes then open it back up to where you had it before and the temp spikes will be almost nonexistent.

maybe i will try that, we will see how things go. I have come to grips with things, if i don't get to mop it.
I have been planning on going fat cap down too, to help insulate from the heat. do you flip your meat any. I wasn't planning on it, due to opening the lid and the temp rising, but in the back of my mind i think maybe i should. :confused:

dbeast420 05-11-2009 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ytsejam (Post 922462)
maybe i will try that, we will see how things go. I have come to grips with things, if i don't get to mop it.
I have been planning on going fat cap down too, to help insulate from the heat. do you flip your meat any. I wasn't planning on it, due to opening the lid and the temp rising, but in the back of my mind i think maybe i should. :confused:

The last ones I did ran for the whole time cap down with no adverse affects

sbramm 05-11-2009 05:20 PM

i ran my newest drum this weekend and the temp just kept climbing on the break in cook. 2 holes with 3/4" nipples and one 1". used the magnet cover mod. have a weber grill lid for the top. used about 20 KF comp briquets for the starter and never got it below 270. every time i opened the lid it just kept climbing.... ribs turned out dry but tasty.

just bought a propane weed burner and gave it a shot at the drum and it was great. coals fired right up and hit 180F and was easy to control to 230F. then closed the intakes and the outlet and it was dead in about 30 minutes.

will use n8's closing the intakes plan going forward. just seems that the drums get some O2 and they take off.

LT72884 05-11-2009 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sbramm (Post 922489)
i ran my newest drum this weekend and the temp just kept climbing on the break in cook. 2 holes with 3/4" nipples and one 1". used the magnet cover mod. have a weber grill lid for the top. used about 20 KF comp briquets for the starter and never got it below 270. every time i opened the lid it just kept climbing.... ribs turned out dry but tasty.

just bought a propane weed burner and gave it a shot at the drum and it was great. coals fired right up and hit 180F and was easy to control to 230F. then closed the intakes and the outlet and it was dead in about 30 minutes.

will use n8's closing the intakes plan going forward. just seems that the drums get some O2 and they take off.

SoEzzy told me a trick bout this. 1 chimney is = to like 300*F
a half chimney is like 250*F
and a 1/4 chimney is around 200-225*

i bet if you find him he will tell you.

sbramm 05-11-2009 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LT72884 (Post 922508)
SoEzzy told me a trick bout this. 1 chimney is = to like 300*F
a half chimney is like 250*F
and a 1/4 chimney is around 200-225*

i bet if you find him he will tell you.

thanks lt.... i couldn't remember where i saw that.... very useful. i thought i had about 1/4 chimney but obviously didn't have appropriate intake control.

so my error on temp control was.......

........ a great excuse to buy a 3000*F torch that sounds like a jet!!!!!

cheap at harbor freight.....

LT72884 05-11-2009 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sbramm (Post 922535)
thanks lt.... i couldn't remember where i saw that.... very useful. i thought i had about 1/4 chimney but obviously didn't have appropriate intake control.

so my error on temp control was.......

........ a great excuse to buy a 3000*F torch that sounds like a jet!!!!!

cheap at harbor freight.....

yeah im gonna have fun using the chimney with me first uds build. I dont want to buy a torch. LOL mainly because i need money for school

JTank70 05-11-2009 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Weiser (Post 921607)
Tanker, I'm confused too.
My Wife blames it on the Alzheimer's but I've had this problem all of my life.
Ya, it is kind of a box built around some kind of Smoker.:confused:
I don't mean to be elusive here but that is all I can really divulge till it is done later this week.
Photos of the build will be posted.

Weiser

Well, I'll be waiting,to see this one for sure. Hope you are taking plenty of pics. I am really wondering now.

JTank70 05-11-2009 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phubar (Post 921784)
Congrats Tank!
Really looks good!
Hope it works as well as it looks good....probably is!
Hopefully I have both of my drums ready by beginnig next month.
I have that date set because it's my birthday then.
Wanna have a big food pron party on!
Here are some pics of yesterday were we cut the barrels open.

Herbert

Herbert thanks. I cooked on it yesterday for mothers day. http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=61462

I cant wait to see your drums. They are nice and clean on the inside. I am gonna find one or two of those.
Wire brushing was a real pain. Figuratively and literally.

Take lots of pics. Especially when the party is on

JT

Weiser 05-11-2009 10:24 PM

Tomorrow is photo day Tank, just after I get this new lid to fit.
What a PIA! I ground on the thing for at least four hours today.
Would have been easier to have started from scratch.
Take your lid with you!

Anyway, have folks coming in from Boston and Houston on Thursday to eat Brisket, Beans and drink Beer.
I hope this thing is ready in time.:|

Weiser

Quote:

Originally Posted by JTank70 (Post 922654)
Well, I'll be waiting,to see this one for sure. Hope you are taking plenty of pics. I am really wondering now.

ftwbbq 05-12-2009 12:04 AM

I think this is an epic thread!...it took me 3 days to get through, I will be starting my 1st UDS this weekend . Ill post up some pics when its all air tight and runnin' right.