Rib cook on the kettle.

JasonS

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I don’t mind firing up the kettle for just one rack of ribs. These ribs are St. Louis cut spares from Sprout’s. I did a basic trim and applied a combo of these two rubs.

29068731167_83214c02d1_z.jpg

Quality wood chunks from Orange County.

43100120895_09cae26a1d_z.jpg

Set my snake/fuse up with a 3x2 of Weber briquettes and a combo of chunks I broke down a bit.

44006132871_07c6e0ae8b_z.jpg

Kettle temp is stable and ribs are ready to go on.

43100113185_c8dc4fd026_z.jpg

Two of the three bottom vents completely shut and the third ½ open, with top vent completely open. Temp ultimately settled at 250*/260* for duration of cook.

43100109615_4e9b939902_z.jpg

After about 2 hours or so.

44006122501_3c42b26ea8_z.jpg

Pretty much done after a 5 hour cook.

44006116631_d3d8207934_c.jpg

Yup, sample is good to go, ribs are done! I had a few “samples” and saved the rest for the next day.

30137412968_64121950af_c.jpg

It was nice to be able to heat them back up on the grill and really enjoy them the next day, with some homemade macaroni salad I made.

43287420464_9bcbae2faa_b.jpg

The kettle did a fantastic job for this cook!

Great looking ribs and a very fine looking vintage Weber kettle. It is hard to beat a Weber kettle as an all around outdoor cooker/smoker and with some care they seem to last. Thanks for posting.

Fantastic job!
I usually use fire bricks, because I'm too lazy to count out briquettes, but there are many who post here with questions about using the snake method. So if I could ask a few questions, so those people could be directed to this post?
That looks like three wide on the bottom, with 2 wide on the top, 9 briquettes long? You said 5 hours, how many briquettes were left after the cook?
How many coals did you start?
And I put the thickest side of the meat towards the coals, with the started coals at the thickest end of that side, so it get the most heat at the start. Is that what you do, also?
Thank you.

Thanks for the positive comments folks, much appreciated!

Fantastic job!
I usually use fire bricks, because I'm too lazy to count out briquettes, but there are many who post here with questions about using the snake method. So if I could ask a few questions, so those people could be directed to this post? That looks like three wide on the bottom, with 2 wide on the top, 9 briquettes long? You said 5 hours, how many briquettes were left after the cook? How many coals did you start? And I put the thickest side of the meat towards the coals, with the started coals at the thickest end of that side, so it get the most heat at the start. Is that what you do, also?
Thank you.

Yes, it was a 3x2 snake. I started it with 10, fully lit briquettes, which I added to what is pictured above. I believe there was about 2 rows left, after removing the ribs after 5 hours. It could have burned for another hour at least. I use the same 3x2 on my 26", with almost identical results.

Like you, I put the thickest part of the meat towards the fire. Sometimes, I'll put some foil partially under the meat and mold it to create a basic shield from the heat as well. When I do that, It's just barely under the meat and angled away, so the smoke can still do it's job.

Back