The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Ugly Drum Smoker (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23436)

bbq lover 03-21-2009 11:25 AM

looks like a good idea

Mark 03-23-2009 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thawley (Post 882934)
Needs more wheels...

I was thinking more like putting it on bobcat tracks

Mark 03-23-2009 12:36 PM

chinesebob wrote but apparently deleted the following
Mark is the true spendthrift. If he could forge the metal himself he would. Wood is the only thing for him mostly because it's free. Of course I'd do the same thing if I could figure out how to make my own chunks smaller than 6 inches without destroying one of my saws.
I don't know why you deleted this Bob. I'd like to encourage people to burn wood instead of charcoal. Yes; even in a UDS. It's been quite some time since we discussed wood chunking methods.

Where should I start? In a new thread?

Pua'a Kuka 03-23-2009 05:52 PM

Mark, do you still get the long burn time? I have Kiawe wood (mesquite) available on a consistent basis.

Mark 03-24-2009 08:35 AM

No: You got to tend the fire. What you want to do is establish a nice bed of embers then just feed it chunks.

jgh1204 03-24-2009 05:37 PM

Upright Drum Smoker?

Dr_KY 03-24-2009 05:55 PM

Browser? lol

bbqhead 03-24-2009 05:57 PM

How do these UDS's work in cold Minnesota weather?

randy

h20loo 03-24-2009 07:56 PM

Outside temp isn't a problem for the drum. You may want to put upswepts on your intakes to keep them out of the snow drifts. You also may want to insulate your barrel
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=54715

Norcoredneck 03-24-2009 08:06 PM

Ask Bubba, hear it get's cold in his neck of the woods. But take into consideration the hot air he blows when standing around bragging about himself while cooking.

sbramm 03-25-2009 06:23 PM

wow... it took since saturday but i finished the entire thread! gonna/gotta get a drum and get a uds done. have a wsm and thought that was the shizzle but no longer. must... have... drum....

cheers.......

Phred 03-26-2009 12:59 PM

I bought a used drum for $20 that had corn syrup in it. It has the tan paint liner in it. I read about 39 pages of this thread and didn't find an answer to my question so here's my question. When you burn out the inside paint will it crack & peal off or do you need to sand it off after the burn?

Thanks,
Phred

sfbbqguy 03-26-2009 01:20 PM

Phred...Pretty sure you're still going to need to do the wire wheel exercise on the inside after the burn.
Need to be down to bare metal beofre the seasoning run.

Phred 03-26-2009 03:46 PM

Well, I'm now up to page 100 and it looks like I will have to take wire wheel to it. Thanks.

Thawley 03-26-2009 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sfbbqguy (Post 886849)
Phred...Pretty sure you're still going to need to do the wire wheel exercise on the inside after the burn.
Need to be down to bare metal beofre the seasoning run.

This is the sure, safe, commonly accepted advice... Too much work for a $20 drum – IMHO.

The low-effort – Thawley approved – method is to get the paint to just peal off the inside. For that you need a LOT of heat. You'll never get enough from a fire built inside the drum. The fire just can't get enough oxygen in there for a really REALLY hot burn.

I burned the Ultimate Ugly Drum Smoker™ from the outside in. Just got me a genuine HF weed burner, a full tank of propane, one of them nonflammable Budweisers and put the hurt on it. Once cooled the paint flaked right off with a stiff wire brush. And I had another beer.

Unless you're after that oh-so-desirable antique patina, it's probably best to paint it before winter.

http://www.thawleyphoto.com/gallery/...tml/UDS-11.jpg

N8man 03-26-2009 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thawley (Post 887027)
Unless you're after that oh-so-desirable antique patina, it's probably best to paint it before winter.

Love That Red Patina Look Your Drum Has!!!!:-D

sfbbqguy 03-26-2009 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thawley (Post 887027)
This is the sure, safe, commonly accepted advice... Too much work for a $20 drum – IMHO.

The low-effort – Thawley approved – method is to get the paint to just peal off the inside. For that you need a LOT of heat. You'll never get enough from a fire built inside the drum. The fire just can't get enough oxygen in there for a really REALLY hot burn.

I burned the Ultimate Ugly Drum Smoker™ from the outside in. Just got me a genuine HF weed burner, a full tank of propane, one of them nonflammable Budweisers and put the hurt on it. Once cooled the paint flaked right off with a stiff wire brush. And I had another beer.

Agree...too much work. Not a job I would wish on anyone that's for sure. If you have the opportunity to torch then torch.
Bottom line is you're looking for the most efficient way to get to bare metal.
Good luck and remember to show picks!

1130home 03-26-2009 09:47 PM

Propane costs money.
Free wood does not.
I have burned out 5 drums with the tan liner.
Burn some wood.
Burn somemore wood.
Look and realize you forgot about fire.
Burn some more.
Nice long hot...........fire and most of the liner will be gone.
I have noticed where there are flakes, there is still liner left.
Where smooth black, no liner.
Wire the flakes and good to go.
Average burn 1-3 hour havin fun.
Average wire wheel experience, inside and out. 1 hour
Have fun

Norcoredneck 03-26-2009 09:52 PM

Trouble with a burn like that in a city environment is a visit from the fire Dept for sure.

1130home 03-26-2009 10:08 PM

I guess that could be a problem, also do not burn drum within 5 feet of house, brick or not. Soffit and fascia tend to warp/buckle :)
So I've heard......

MS BBQ 03-26-2009 11:16 PM

White plastic fencing seems to warp too....not that I ever did it....no pictures, so I guess it didn't really happen. :shock:

Thawley 03-27-2009 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Norcoredneck (Post 887241)
Trouble with a burn like that in a city environment is a visit from the fire Dept for sure.

Yeah... Life is a little different here in SoCal.

sbramm 03-27-2009 10:04 AM

ok, what would others do: be patient and wait for a score on stainless lined drum or rush out and get a regular ol' lined drum right away and burn it out? i have a wsm but i also have issues with being patient.

cheers......

schoonch 03-27-2009 12:20 PM

Burning it out is half the fun.

Mark 03-27-2009 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Norcoredneck (Post 887241)

As long as you've got a hot dog on a stick hanging over the fire, it's a BBQ.

Thawley 03-27-2009 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sbramm (Post 887537)
ok, what would others do: be patient and wait for a score on stainless lined drum or rush out and get a regular ol' lined drum right away and burn it out? i have a wsm but i also have issues with being patient.

Me too. And spending money.

BURN it...

bbq lover 03-27-2009 02:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
like this stainless is nice but very hard to cut and drill

Thawley 03-27-2009 02:57 PM

What's that chrome box on the side?

JD McGee 03-27-2009 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bbq lover (Post 887723)

Is that a pellet poopin' UDS? :-P

STX Cue 03-27-2009 03:08 PM

Buy it and burn it...no need to wait. I didn't even take a wire brush to mine. I burned it, burned it again, and took the burner to it. If all of that didn't get it off, it wasn't coming off at 225.

Barbarian 03-27-2009 03:23 PM

Or Sbramm go online and buy a new drum that is unlined. If you are careful and not let it get to hot during a cook the outside paint should be fine.

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/items/4GY29

stiffy 03-27-2009 04:56 PM

Finally read it all..

Well read it all, quite a read started on Tuesday joined last night so I could post today and finished reading today, my UDS is already done I actually found this thread after it was pretty well done off of just some pictures I had seen. I had the lid made for it it has a 2 3/8' OD pipe for an exhaust three 1 1/4" holes with magnets for intake, and a rectangle exp metal box for the lump, two grates, one is 5.5" from top other 10.5" from top.

I did a test burn yesterday and it worked great, ran a little hotter than I would have liked, but I think it was because my charcoal grate was over the 3" recommended height it was at like 4 1/4".

I kno I kno I'll put pics up soon and pics of the two bostons I am doing Sunday, smoker is at work camera is at home which is why I can't add pictures now.

STX Cue 03-27-2009 06:36 PM

Looking forward to seeing the smoker, stiffy.

Weiser 03-27-2009 09:13 PM

Amen Brother!

Weiser

Quote:

Originally Posted by STX Cue (Post 887763)
Buy it and burn it...no need to wait. I didn't even take a wire brush to mine. I burned it, burned it again, and took the burner to it. If all of that didn't get it off, it wasn't coming off at 225.

Thawley 03-28-2009 01:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stiffy (Post 887853)
I had the lid made for it it has a 2 3/8' OD pipe for an exhaust...

:eek: OMG... Not the 2 3/8" OD pipe!!!! It's supposed to be 2 3/8" ID pipe...

Might as well start over. Welcome anyway.

EatonHoggBBQ 03-28-2009 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bbq lover (Post 887723)

Stainless steel is more of a gummy type of metal not harder. Run your drill at a lot lower speed than you would for mild steel.

BoarHawgRebel 03-28-2009 09:12 AM

Hey guys.
Im new to the board and just thought Id jump into the discussion.
I just scored 2 lined food grade barrels that held vegetable oil for $8.00 a peice.
One is for my smoker and one is the neighbors burn barrel.
Anyone know what I can do for a lid?
They didnt come with one..
As soon as I come across some expanded metal, we're gonna start on this bad boy.
:-D

Norcoredneck 03-28-2009 09:21 AM

Here under parts. Just hunt a used weber down. I take it they are closed head? Some have ground/cut where it is rolled/crimped and salvaged the lid. Wait if you see the liner it is probably an open head. Remember if you get one do not heat it too much as they warp.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#55-gallon-drums/=175x2x

JD McGee 03-28-2009 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BoarHawgRebel (Post 888295)
Hey guys.
Im new to the board and just thought Id jump into the discussion.
I just scored 2 lined food grade barrels that held vegetable oil for $8.00 a peice.
One is for my smoker and one is the neighbors burn barrel.
Anyone know what I can do for a lid?
They didnt come with one..
As soon as I come across some expanded metal, we're gonna start on this bad boy.
:-D

I use the lids from old 22 1/2 inch Weber kettles...they fit perfectly! :razz: You might want to loan your neighbor your barrel to burn out that liner for ya too...:lol::lol::lol:

bspencer 03-28-2009 01:44 PM

Just started my USD

Did the burn today. Hoping to try the powerwasher vs. crawing in with the drill and steel brush attachment.

Weiser 03-28-2009 03:04 PM

2 Attachment(s)
No reason to crawl in.
I made this from 3/8" all-thread with a couple of nuts and washers.
Getting to the bottom of the drum was easy.
It is about fourteen inches long.

Weiser

sbramm 03-28-2009 03:29 PM

greetings,

for those who have done the uds, would like to know the following if you had to do it all over:

1) buy a new unlined barrel, make it, drink beer, cook and be done.
2) get a reasonably good barrel, burn it, drink beer, grind it, drink beer, paint it, drink beer, cook and be done.
3) get a marginal barrel of unknown origin, smell it, decide it's ok, burn it, drink beer, grind it, drink beer, paint it, drink beer, cook and be done.

i'm lazy, impatient and want to get this done. however, would like the input of those that have been down this path prior.

cheers.........

Meat Burner 03-28-2009 03:35 PM

The last two I went with new drums....sooooo much better!!!!

Norcoredneck 03-28-2009 03:47 PM

New drums are typically @ $80. Make it quick, no mess, no tickets, no hassle's. Way to go in my opinion.

sbramm 03-28-2009 03:58 PM

new seems to make more sense to me given i have precious little free time. so now, what source is best? grainger is expensive $130 plus shipping.... any links for new/refurb unlined barrels? i am sure there are some listed in the last 179 pages but having gone through it once, i .... well... am lazy.

cheers....

Meat Burner 03-28-2009 04:08 PM

Google, yellow pages, environmental companies,....make some calls bro.

Norcoredneck 03-28-2009 04:09 PM

It's all regional. I always post McMaster because I can will call it.

Crüe-B-Cüe 03-28-2009 04:49 PM

I bought a new drum from a local supplier and a cheap $39 weber clone from sears. Used a deheader, drilled a few holes and was in business in a couple of hours. Another good source for drums is a livestock feed supplier.

1130home 03-28-2009 05:32 PM

My secret supplier of free lined drums is from a candy factory. I have noticed most places do not return messages. Coca-cola.....bakery.........machine shop............
I would seriously call as a drum recycleing impersonator. Just to find out what they do with their drums.
Most of the time they get a shipment once a month all at once. Use product and crush for scrap. At least around here. I ended up with 24 drums per month for free if i needed that many. I took 7. Clamps lids all included.
Good Luck

sbramm 03-28-2009 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1130home (Post 888586)
My secret supplier of free lined drums is from a candy factory. I have noticed most places do not return messages. Coca-cola.....bakery.........machine shop............
I would seriously call as a drum recycleing impersonator. Just to find out what they do with their drums.
Most of the time they get a shipment once a month all at once. Use product and crush for scrap. At least around here. I ended up with 24 drums per month for free if i needed that many. I took 7. Clamps lids all included.
Good Luck

now that's good....!

"hello, i represent the haul-away empty drum company. i wish to recycle your unwanted drums, barrels or other unused containers for use in recreational food manufacturing. i will arrange for disposal/removal of said items free of charge. at least until i have as many UDS as my neighborhood can tolerate!!"