The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Rib Rack Angle (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=150888)

dmprantz 01-05-2013 11:08 AM

Rib Rack Angle

I'm curious about the use of rib racks. I've had a couple, but am far from an expert. Is it "better" to have the ribs sit at a 45°-60° angle rather than perpendigular to the grate? If so, why? Which angle would you recommend? I asked about racks in the comp forum, and was told one thing to be careful of is the racks taking off rub. Does one or the other configuration help reduce that? How much space would you recommend between the racks? Does any of this matter between spare and back ribs? I guess what I'm getting at is, if I was going to build the "perfect" rib rack, how should it be designed from a geometric standpoint?

dmp

caliking 01-05-2013 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmprantz (Post 2317701)
I'm curious about the use of rib racks. I've had a couple, but am far from an expert. Is it "better" to have the ribs sit at a 45°-60° angle rather than perpendigular to the grate? If so, why? Which angle would you recommend? I asked about racks in the comp forum, and was told one thing to be careful of is the racks taking off rub. Does one or the other configuration help reduce that? How much space would you recommend between the racks? Does any of this matter between spare and back ribs? I guess what I'm getting at is, if I was going to build the "perfect" rib rack, how should it be designed from a geometric standpoint?

dmp

I'm interested in what folks have to say. I have not used rib racks because I haven't found any that seem to be long enough so that the racks won't flop around. Does the rub run off with juices/rendered fat when using a rack? If you build one, we wanna see it!

yakdung 01-05-2013 11:32 AM

IMHO I have used several types, and have never been able to taste the difference in the final result.

dmprantz 01-05-2013 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by caliking (Post 2317729)
Does the rub run off with juices/rendered fat when using a rack? If you build one, we wanna see it!

The complaint I heard was the rub coming off from contact with the rack when moving the ribs around. Hence why there should be space, and why I think perpendicular may be better for that purpose, or 60° may be better than 45°.

dmp

thirdeye 01-05-2013 12:01 PM

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...uation005a.jpg

The Dave Klose racks I use are very roomy and are slightly angled, which comes in handy when spraying, and reduces the amount of head room I need in my BDS's. To avoid scraping off rub, I start off with the thick side up, sometimes after they shrink up a bit I turn in the racks and sometimes not.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...2/b0aa2307.jpg

dmprantz 01-05-2013 12:04 PM

Thanks. If you ever feel so inclined, I'd love to know the dimensions. Overall length and height, angle of the racks, and space between them. Definitely doesn't look like 45°.

dmp

thirdeye 01-05-2013 12:40 PM

All the stats and the logic behind the design are on page 23 of the Klose catalog. Looks to be a 20° angle and the size is 11 X 9-1/2 X 5. There is a typo on the description, the diameter is 3/16" stainless rod, not 3/32".

I got mine when they first came out for $25. They are now $40 which is still a good deal. I do hobby welding and I can't make them myself for that.

Sizzl 01-05-2013 12:53 PM

When I used rib racks, I had to keep flipping them 180 because the top would cook faster. Now i don't use rib racks. I just stack them on top of one another and let their juices marry while using the hot and fast method...

Sent from my GS3 via Tapatalk 2

VoodoChild 01-05-2013 02:51 PM

:wacko::wacko::wacko::tongue::tape::tape: Nice Rack ! :tape::tape::tape::tape::tape: Just wanted to say it !!!:tape::tape:

dmprantz 01-05-2013 03:43 PM

Thanx for the info and the pointer. FWIW, what he calls a 20° to the side is what I would call a 70° angle, from the grate. It's all perspective. I'm wondering though if 11" isn't too short. I've had slabs that are 20" pre-cooked, and I'd want to keep them all seperate.

dmp

Bludawg 01-05-2013 04:29 PM

The angle of the dangle is proportionate to the heat of the meat.

westy 01-05-2013 06:06 PM

Would one need to adjust if upgraded to the new fangled dangle angle?

Sent from my SPH-D710VMUB using Tapatalk 2

thirdeye 01-05-2013 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmprantz (Post 2317978)
Thanx for the info and the pointer. FWIW, what he calls a 20° to the side is what I would call a 70° angle, from the grate. It's all perspective. I'm wondering though if 11" isn't too short. I've had slabs that are 20" pre-cooked, and I'd want to keep them all seperate.

dmp

Here is a different perspective.... the grate on this cooker is 18" diameter, so these ribs are in the 16" to 18" range.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...2/e785affc.jpg

dmprantz 01-05-2013 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thirdeye (Post 2318337)
Here is a different perspective.... the grate on this cooker is 18" diameter, so these ribs are in the 16" to 18" range.

So two 18" slabs of ribs next to each other in an 11" rack. What keeps the 3" on either sidew from flopping over on the next slab? I've had it happen. Put differently, I've I'm not working on a 18" BGE/WSM, etc, is there any reason why I wouldn't want a rib rack to be 20" instead of 11", as long as it was "short" enough for the ribs to catch it?

dmp