The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Wing rub question (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=216445)

rickv14623 08-24-2015 03:00 PM

Wing rub question

Have seen several threads about this but.....
Some folks have mentioned using Old Bay as a chicken rub. How did that work out and what flavor profile of sauce (if any) worked well with it?

TIA

Bludawg 08-24-2015 03:56 PM

old bay is real good on chicken or anything for that matter. Sauce I like Heinz 57 steak sauce with butter,lemon and some cayenne with it.

USMC 08-24-2015 04:09 PM

I use Old Bay garlic and herb on my wings. I like buffalo wing sauce made with Frank's Red Hot, butter, and Lee and Perrins Worcestershire. Lots of different recipes for it on the web.

MS2SB 08-24-2015 04:24 PM

I do almost the exact same thing as USMC and have people asking for the recipe every time.

Wing Sauce
1/2C Franks
1/3C butter (This is the ratio on the back of the bottle)
2TBS ACV
3-4 cloves garlic minced
1-2 shallot minced or 1/4 yellow onion

Melt the butter then sweat the garlic and shallot or onion until soft but not yet brown. 5-10 minutes on low.
Add vinegar and Franks, cook for 10-15 more minutes on low.
At this point you can add a little molasses to sweeten it up and take some of the edge off if you want.

IamMadMan 08-24-2015 04:58 PM

for rubs I use Oakridge Habernaro Death Dust on hot wings, and Oakridge Competition Chicken on the others.

I'll smoke till about half done and crisp on the grill or in the fryer to finish.

For sauces I use straight Franks without the butter or margarine for my hot wings (with HDD).

Crushed pineapple, garlic, and teriyaki sauce for pineapple/teriyaki wings.

So many more choices including BBQ Sauce.....

mwmac 08-24-2015 05:14 PM

Another vote for HDD. Just stocked up with a 2 lb order. Simple and delicious!

rickv14623 08-24-2015 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MS2SB (Post 3337894)
I do almost the exact same thing as USMC and have people asking for the recipe every time.

Wing Sauce
1/2C Franks
1/3C butter (This is the ratio on the back of the bottle)
2TBS ACV
3-4 cloves garlic minced
1-2 shallot minced or 1/4 yellow onion

Melt the butter then sweat the garlic and shallot or onion until soft but not yet brown. 5-10 minutes on low.
Add vinegar and Franks, cook for 10-15 more minutes on low.
At this point you can add a little molasses to sweeten it up and take some of the edge off if you want.

Sounds interesting, about how many pounds of wings will that sauce?