The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Oakridge BBQ Habanero Death Wings (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=116783)

BluesDaddy 09-24-2011 10:55 AM

Habanero Death Dust wings on the kettle. I've got ever things smoking as well, so may not be able to really hit that last super hot step, but we'll see. Also used the Death Dust as the second sprinkling on my ribs before foiling. Can't wait!

SuperQue 09-24-2011 04:52 PM

It's just plain ol' fun mentioning Habanero Death Dust to my co-workers. I can't wait until I get my hands on it. Thanks Mike.

PatioDaddio 09-24-2011 05:33 PM

I took delivery of #18 today. On tap tonight: Homemade Habanero and Bacon Sausage. I'll be using spare rib trimmings, a little pork sirloin and uncured center-cut bacon.

Oh, and the Death Dust, of course.

John

Bikini BBQ 09-24-2011 08:10 PM

WOW, looks great, can't wait to use the "death dust".

HOG WILD BBQ 09-25-2011 10:12 AM

Made my mouth water!

Mister Bob 09-25-2011 10:58 AM

Awesome wings, I'll definitely try that one. Great pics BTW! :thumb::thumb:

plethoraofpinatas 09-26-2011 10:14 AM

My order arrived on Saturday and I couldn't resist putting a pinch on my tongue....

KABOOM that was some flavor! I normally shy away from habanero spices and sauces because I only get the heat, never any really good flavor. With the Oakridge BBQ rub I tasted chiles, paprika, and sugar up front, then when the celery salt started to come through the habanero heat started to rise. The heat was strong but not more than I expected. The real surprise was the flavor profile, it was better than any habanero spice/sauce i've ever had. I can't wait to grill some Habanero Death Wings this weekend!

kcmike 09-26-2011 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by plethoraofpinatas (Post 1799738)
My order arrived on Saturday and I couldn't resist putting a pinch on my tongue....

KABOOM that was some flavor! I normally shy away from habanero spices and sauces because I only get the heat, never any really good flavor. With the Oakridge BBQ rub I tasted chiles, paprika, and sugar up front, then when the celery salt started to come through the habanero heat started to rise. The heat was strong but not more than I expected. The real surprise was the flavor profile, it was better than any habanero spice/sauce i've ever had. I can't wait to grill some Habanero Death Wings this weekend!

Thanks! That's exactly what I was aiming for. I too have had enough with all the "all heat no flavor" products out there. I'm thrilled that it sounds like we hit the mark with this little special project...

Thanks!
Mike

By the way... you were dead-on about the celery and salt, however since we would never use a pre-blended celery salt in our products, what you were tasting was fresh celery and sea salt in just the right proportions... :becky: :thumb:

shares 09-27-2011 12:44 AM

I made wings using this method this past weekend. I didn't have the HDD on hand, but it's the process that intrigued me - wings that look sauced without the hassle and mess of saucing? That's brilliant!

For wing rub, I like to take scrap savory rubs that I don't otherwise plan on using, and add Chipotle powder for taste and heat. I'm going to do a lot more testing of this method in the near future as my initial results were very impressive.

Bikini BBQ 09-27-2011 07:43 AM

I made some wings at work Sunday night, BAM they were a big hit ! Gonna make more next week, they had just the right amount heat and tingle, no problem & great taste. Gonna double the amount of dust next time, great flavor Mike !

Scott

1FUNVET 09-27-2011 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by plethoraofpinatas (Post 1799738)

Got mine in today and did the same thing with a pinch on the tongue.I agree with the descripton of the flavor profile. Think you have a winning combo of flavors. I just might have to order another one.

kcmike 09-27-2011 10:28 AM

EatMoreHeat.com Just Reviewed our new Habanero Death Dust!!

EatMoreHeat.com just did a video review of our new Death Dust on YouTube...

Check it out!

http://youtu.be/yqCmaVDau-Y

silverfinger 09-27-2011 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kcmike (Post 1800853)
EatMoreHeat.com just did a video review of our new Death Dust on YouTube...

Check it out!

http://youtu.be/yqCmaVDau-Y

Hey Mike,
I just watched the video, looks like your off to a great start with the rub you created. I still have not opened my package of death dust since Im the only one in my home that likes spicy like that. I think IM going to wait for my son-inlaw to show up and cook wings with it like you did. One question for you Mike. Would you cook them wings any different on an old Kaman smoker?

inv3ctiv3 09-27-2011 11:39 AM

I just made an order from you Mike but couldn't order the HDD :( Let me know when it's available!

likeadeere 09-27-2011 12:33 PM

WOW. those look delicious, I can't wait to buy some of that!