The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Ugly Drum Smoker (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23436)

SSNSOCALFAN 11-21-2009 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by QuietOne (Post 1092107)
4500 posts damn that's a lot of reading.

it's worth it

stevemiller 11-21-2009 09:00 PM

250 pages and the drum is done

My drum is finished and have done my first cook

http://i743.photobucket.com/albums/x...Picture169.jpg

http://i743.photobucket.com/albums/x...Picture176.jpg

http://i743.photobucket.com/albums/x...Picture167.jpg

first pulled butt:lol:

http://i743.photobucket.com/albums/x...Picture172.jpg

Phubar 11-21-2009 09:01 PM

Looks Ugly enuph to me Ssnsocalfan!

Phubar 11-21-2009 09:05 PM

Pretty looking drum SteveMiller!
What's in the boxes in the 3rd pic on the top left,the graphic designs look like Delft's blauw"!:-D

tubadude 11-21-2009 09:13 PM

Now that is an awesome lookin' cookin' machine!!!

stevemiller 11-21-2009 09:25 PM

thanks everyone

I could not have done it with out the brotherhood. the boxes are ceramic floor tile

Blackened 11-22-2009 12:00 AM

Nice job! I've been thinking about putting a shelf on mine..

SSNSOCALFAN 11-22-2009 12:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phubar (Post 1092236)
Looks Ugly enuph to me Ssnsocalfan!

Thx Bro i'm waiting for a good coat of rust LOL!

big.burlinski 11-22-2009 08:14 AM

Good Job Ssnsocalfan! Glad to see you got it going, before me I might add! I'm still burning and grinding on drum.

Meat Burner 11-22-2009 09:09 AM

SSN, very nice drum you built. Pork looks great. There is a great brother in Kauai, HI on this forum. No clue where that is in relation to you. He's a drum head. You could do a "member search" and drop him a line. Great guy!

Norcoredneck 11-22-2009 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Meat Burner (Post 1092457)
SSN, very nice drum you built. Pork looks great. There is a great brother in Kauai, HI on this forum. No clue where that is in relation to you. He's a drum head. You could do a "member search" and drop him a line. Great guy!

About Keale
Location Kauai, HI
Occupation food service manager
Interests spending time with the kids, wife, Golf and fishing
Signature To Eternity and Beyond!
UDS
Weber kettle, (refuse collector mod.)
Food Cabinet Smoker(cob web mod.)
"crest of a breaking wave" thats my name...

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/member.php?u=4478

big brother smoke 11-22-2009 09:38 AM

This thread has over 1/2 million views, wow!

Norcoredneck 11-22-2009 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by big brother smoke (Post 1092470)
This thread has over 1/2 million views, wow!

399,000 are from Country, cuz he secretly wants one. :twisted:

QuietOne 11-22-2009 10:51 AM

Looks great Steve, next time I'm down, likely July 2010, I'll have to stop in for some Q.

What did you use for your exhaust? I'm running just a 6.5 cm hole (2.5 inches) My open top drum had no bung holes.

big.burlinski 11-22-2009 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bevo (Post 1091861)
Big B, If you ever decide to build another...Which you will because one of your friends will want one. There is a place here in DFW that has new and unlined drums. The place is called Dallas drum, this is where I purchased mine. A piece of mind goes a long way!

Thanks Bevo. i had called them and balked at the $48 for a new unlined drum, but if I have it to do over again I will probably go that way. I'm spending my spare time instead of money now I guess :-P

I did one burn with pallet wood but didn't get to go as long as I wanted to because I kept hearing sirens :mad:

I guess I'll keep working with the weed burner now instead.

Right now my whole drum is much darker inside and coated with soot so it's kind of hard to tell if it's down to metal or not. I can use the wire wheel to get all the way down to shiny again, and it's not flaking and leaving a fine powder now like it was before the burn. Nearly all the paint on the outside has flaked off already except for a couple of spots.

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/i...l/P1010143.jpg

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/i...l/P1010146.jpg

I think I'll give it one more good session with the weed burner and whatever doesn't burn then isn't going to burn at the normal temps this thing will see. And don't forget this one had what is probably the BPA lining that probably won't hurt anything but my endocrines.

Of course I am always open to suggestions or comments :-D

For the Weed Burner folks, what kind of time frame are we talkin' here, I hit the whole top section down to and including the first ring all the way around for probably 15-20 min already and this is still what it looks like after I washed it with a 409 type cleaner, its called Greased Lightning.

Right now I'm going to watch some football and perform another timed rust test :-P

stevemiller 11-22-2009 01:49 PM

quietone

sound great. I will pore a cold one on ya. My ex. is just 2 in pvc in the bung hole via a mail adapter. I would feel like I died and went to heaven to bring my muzzle-popper up to your part of the world to hunt.Please let me know, it sounds great. Steve

ShrediMaster 12-02-2009 08:23 AM

nOOb here...! Been reading this thread for 4 days (still not done yet) and think I have enough info to get started...! Have a local place here with brand spankin' new open top drums with bare metal insides for $63...! Have already purchased all other mats for the build. They come already painted externally, will probably need to repaint after seasoning with high temp paint... Will let you al know how it goes.

Thanx to EVERYONE for the wealth of knowledge stored in in this forum...!

Typically 12-02-2009 08:43 AM

unless you are using your UDS as a fire pit you should be alright with normal spray paint. the drum doesn't get white hot during normal cooking.

ShrediMaster 12-02-2009 02:43 PM

Okay, good news and bad news. Good news = the price was wrong for the drums; I can get open lid drums for $27!!! Bad news = they were finished inside and out!. I thought I was gonna have to find a way to burn them but the company I bought them from is a drum company. They told me to bring it back and they will ball blast it to the metal for me for free! They also said that they will blast them for me from now on if I give them a heads up of what I need! They will also dehead a closed top drum I have sitting around and ball blast that for me, too...! My work week starts tomorrow, so I'll have to wait until Monday to get my drums and start building...

Smokin' D 12-02-2009 04:54 PM

Sounds like a good place to have nearby. Good luck with the build and as always show us some pics when you're done!

A question, If they are a drum co, couldn't you get the barrels before the inside liner is applied as opposed to having it bead blasted off?

roneder 12-02-2009 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bbq Bubba (Post 556766)

Awesome looking drum. Can't wait to start building mine!

Burt 12-02-2009 10:43 PM

Newbie got his barrel!

3 Attachment(s)
Hello!

...my first post to this thread (and bbq-brethren.) :icon_blush:

Truly epic thread! Thanks everyone! Nice barrel stevemiller!

After using most of Thanksgiving weekend (deep-fried a bird) to read every post, I'm "only" on page 260. :shock:

But, I have to report in that I have procured my used barrel. Woo hoo! :biggrin:

I made calls from work Monday (couldn't wait!), took a long lunch, and got my free barrel from the local soap/shampoo company.

Unlined, open-top, with lid+ring+bolt, only a soapy residue to wash out! :icon_cool

I also bought the step drill bits on Monday. I will begin in earnest Friday. Yes!

I still can't get over the dedication to this thread! I would proudly wear the t-shirt, even though I don't know why so many of us feel compelled to read every word. Please, don't answer that. :wink:

Attachment 34456

Attachment 34457

Attachment 34458

Burt 12-04-2009 12:16 AM

More Parts!

1 Attachment(s)
Where the heck did all the pages from this thread go? :confused:

Here are more parts that I picked up today:

Attachment 34488

Drilling and washing barrel, assembly of coal basket tomorrow:!:

makizoo 12-04-2009 06:52 AM

For any north central Massachusetts bretheren looking for barrels, I just met this guy. <[email protected]> . Steve has 55 gallon used veggie oil drums (no liner) with tops cut off that fit a weber lid perfectly. Bought 2 last night.:wink:
sean

Stef 12-04-2009 09:30 AM

How much and where is he? :)

makizoo 12-04-2009 12:06 PM

He's in Westford and $25 ea

Stef 12-04-2009 12:27 PM

Interesting. I'm going to be in Westford tomorrow taking a class. I might need to pick one of those one up as a spare.

Burt 12-04-2009 08:30 PM

More Build Pron

4 Attachment(s)
Got out the power washer today, but not before writing down all the info on the barrel and reading all the labels. Turns out this D.O.T. non-toxic barrel contained upwards of 30% of a material that's considered toxic when vaporized at high temps.
No big whoop. Got out the can of acetone, gloves and paper towels and got rid of most residue. Also power washed off all the loose paint and loose rust.
Next, drill the bottom vent holes and do a high-temp burn-off.

Attachment 34533
What the heck is extra-strength acetone? That's totally bogus!

Attachment 34532
Found rust under what looked like good paint. Whatever survives the fire will become part of the primer coat, I guess.
Easy to see which side of the barrel faced the wall.

Attachment 34534
Trusty power washer.

The lid is kinda concave down, in towards the center and inside the drum. The inside center of the lid looks like it will turn into a condensation problem spot. I can either keep the meat from the dead center of the grill, or perhaps hammer that lid the other direction.
Any ideas or advice for reshaping that lid either flat or concave up?

Also got out the drill and wire brushes and got the inside of the lid cleaned-up pretty well. This is the before picture. Hopefully more shiny steel picts tomorrow.

ShrediMaster 12-06-2009 07:56 AM

Smokin D: Yes... they told me they would ball blast them for free if I requested it in advance. For some reason they said they can't sell them bare metal, and apparently the finish is part of the manufacturing process...

roneder 12-06-2009 10:34 AM

What is the 3-2-1 method you are referring to? Sorry if I missed it on an earlier post.

ShrediMaster 12-06-2009 01:45 PM

It's a cooking method = 3 hours to cook, 2 hours to cook wrapped in foil, 1 hour to finish... This is the simple version... There's info on the all over the internet.

Pole D 12-10-2009 05:04 PM

Having a hard time getting my drum clean. Burned it twice to the point that it was glowing on the outside. I can still see the $&#37;# red lining on about 50% of the inside.

Has anyone tried using a water soluble remover? Also thinking about taking a weed burner to it.

Thanks for any help.

Typically 12-11-2009 08:38 AM

did you drill the intake holes already? that'll help get that fire really roaring

Uncle Buds BBQ 12-11-2009 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pole D (Post 1108930)
Also thinking about taking a weed burner to it.

When I tried the ol' weed burner the flame kept going out due to lack of O2 inside the drum. I ended up paying a guy $20 to sand blast it.

IronStomach 12-11-2009 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Typically (Post 1109535)
did you drill the intake holes already? that'll help get that fire really roaring

Yeah, was wondering about that... if the intake holes on the bottom aren't there yet, the fire will be going up and not down -- fire feeds, it needs oxygen, no oxygen in one direction, no fire movement.

HumboldtSmokeBBQ 12-11-2009 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IronStomach (Post 1109572)
Yeah, was wondering about that... if the intake holes on the bottom aren't there yet, the fire will be going up and not down -- fire feeds, it needs oxygen, no oxygen in one direction, no fire movement.

I lit my fire with out drilling the holes....top of the drum is ready to go, bottom, still has the paint on it. I drilled the holes and I am going to burn again tonight after work. Then, my buddy is going to sand blast it for me. I will be doing a test run tomorrow, shoulder on Sunday.

sfbbqguy 12-11-2009 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Buds BBQ (Post 1109564)
When I tried the ol' weed burner the flame kept going out due to lack of O2 inside the drum. I ended up paying a guy $20 to sand blast it.

$20 well spent there! Most guys who use the weed burner do it from the outside but for $20 you can't go wrong with a sand blast.

HumboldtSmokeBBQ 12-11-2009 09:48 AM

OK, I have a question about your charcoal baskets.

My expando steel cube is the same on each size. I mean, I have noticed some charcoal baskets have wider spaced expando on the bottom then on the sides. I was thinking of just putting the same spacing expando on the bottom...is that OK?

I dont want to go buy another sheet of expando when I already bought one if I can get away with it.

I was thinking of going to my BBQ boneyard and using an old grate for the bottom? that might work as well, if i couldnt use the same expando I had been using.

Thanks!

Paul B 12-11-2009 09:52 AM

Just makes it eaiser for the ash to drop to the bottom. Otherwise you may have to bang the drum more often!!

Paul B

HumboldtSmokeBBQ 12-11-2009 10:07 AM

ok, If I bang the drum, will my food get covered in ash? if i use an old grate attached to my expando, will i go through more coals cause they are falling through as they get smaller??

T.R. 12-11-2009 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Buds BBQ (Post 1109564)

That's an excellent price. I paid twice that to get my drum sandblasted.

Stef 12-11-2009 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sfbbqguy (Post 1109593)
$20 well spent there! Most guys who use the weed burner do it from the outside but for $20 you can't go wrong with a sand blast.

No kidding, that's a deal. I had a guy quote me $130 to blast a drum. I declined his generous offer.

Paul B 12-11-2009 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HumboldtSmokeBBQ (Post 1109644)
ok, If I bang the drum, will my food get covered in ash? if i use an old grate attached to my expando, will i go through more coals cause they are falling through as they get smaller??

No..

Probably not, when they get small they are probably spent anyway.

Paul B

h20loo 12-11-2009 01:33 PM

Here's four tips for burning out a drum.
1. Use hardwood only- it burns hot, doesn't leave a sappy film and smells good.
2. The barrel doesn't have to be upright- it can be on its side and roll it
3. My favorite is to throw the barrels in a big ass brush fire- if you can get near it then its not big enough.
4. If burning near a shop with a compressor, then use a long nozzle air gun and help the fire where you need to- like a black smith. You can cherry any spot!

skid 12-11-2009 01:36 PM

Quote:

Having a hard time getting my drum clean. Burned it twice to the point that it was glowing on the outside. I can still see the $%# red lining on about 50% of the inside.

Has anyone tried using a water soluble remover? Also thinking about taking a weed burner to it.

Thanks for any help.

Burned mine three times and still had signs of the liner. Then it was wire wheel and sanding time.

Mark 12-11-2009 02:01 PM

Quote:

Having a hard time getting my drum clean. Burned it twice to the point that it was glowing on the outside. I can still see the $%# red lining on about 50% of the inside.

Thanks for any help.

The moral of the story is to stay away from drums with red linings.

redbandit98 12-11-2009 05:25 PM

after building my first uds and having to get that dang liner out, I have decided that in the future I will buy new. I can get new barrels for 50 bucks. Sure, I can get a used food grade barrel with liner for 3 bucks but to be honest...Im too farkin' lazy to do all that crap again. To me, (and Im cheap) it will be 50 bucks well spent.

Toploader 12-11-2009 05:53 PM

Its probably been mentioned in here before but have any of you tried Jasco or aircraft stripper to get the left over liner out? I would figure you could rinse it well and do another burn and be good to go. Plus if its not burning completely out with some of these big red hot fires its probly ok during the lower temps of a smoke. Just curious.

smily 12-11-2009 08:16 PM

ima try sanding the barrel like a cabinet i want to grind away

then FIRE !

:)

big.burlinski 12-12-2009 08:22 AM

I hear ya' brother. My sentiments exactly. I still have my second drum with the thin clear lining and I am dreading even starting on it. I can get new unlined ones for $48 here also.

If I do try another one I'll probably go strictly weed burner. I live too close to the FD and have a cranky old lady neighbor right next to me. It is kinda fun and the weather is right for it now! Of course when you factor in $17.99 for a tank of propane you are even closer to the $48 for a new one.

Quote:

Originally Posted by redbandit98 (Post 1110236)
after building my first uds and having to get that dang liner out, I have decided that in the future I will buy new. I can get new barrels for 50 bucks. Sure, I can get a used food grade barrel with liner for 3 bucks but to be honest...Im too farkin' lazy to do all that crap again. To me, (and Im cheap) it will be 50 bucks well spent.