The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Ugly Drum Smoker (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23436)

inv3ctiv3 02-07-2011 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smokeyw (Post 1539697)
The three nipples are for varying hotter temperatures. The more nipples you open, the hotter it will burn. You use the valve to fine tune. I almost always run mine with 2 nipples closed and the valve about 3/4 open. This will give me about 250 degrees. If I want to run over 300 I have to remove another nipple cap.

Ah thank you very much!

SkinnyVinny 02-07-2011 04:04 PM

Hi all, quick update, I got my barrell sandblasted by someone in my area for around $30 dollars.

My question is, do I still have to grind the thing or am I good to go? The inside of the drum appears to be bar metal now, but feels very gritty, I'll go to the car wash and give it a spray once the weather warms up.

But i'm good to go ya? Sorry if i sound a bit paranoid, I really want some good Q but I gotta put the family's health first!

smokeyw 02-07-2011 04:16 PM

If it is down to bare metal, give it a wash job and fire it up :thumb:

blackdog043 02-07-2011 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkinnyVinny (Post 1539842)
Hi all, quick update, I got my barrell sandblasted by someone in my area for around $30 dollars.

My question is, do I still have to grind the thing or am I good to go? The inside of the drum appears to be bar metal now, but feels very gritty, I'll go to the car wash and give it a spray once the weather warms up.

But I'm good to go ya? Sorry if i sound a bit paranoid, I really want some good Q but I gotta put the family's health first!

Your good to go, to really tell, wipe a small spot with a wet rag, it should start to rust. The grit is probably the residue from sand. Before you wash it out drill your intake holes or all of them if you want to. After you wash it out, spray with a cooking spray so it doesn't rust up on you, then do your seasoning burn. Good luck with it, they're great smokers.

otterpop 02-07-2011 06:15 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Well I finished most of my 1st UDS build on Saturday and fired it up at 8 a.m. Superbowl Sunday to smoke some ribs and wings for the game. I guess I found out how little I know about smoking, when compared to grilling. I didn't really know what temperature I was hoping to stabilize at, but guessed at 275°, and couldn't really nail it down. After 5 hours between 250° and 275°, the flavors were great but the meat a bit dry and not moist enough. So I learned a lot, but need to learn more. What temp should I be targeting?

Here's a few pics of my project. Also, when it rained, I got sooty water dripping off the lid and onto the sides of the drum. It was an old Weber lid, maybe I need to clean the inside of the lid, or is it normal to get drips like that?

inv3ctiv3 02-07-2011 09:59 PM

Ok I test fitted my weber kettle lid and it fit perfectly, I just gotta get the tops off the drum!

IDODSICK 02-09-2011 03:00 PM

Firing my first UDS butt now after reading 350 some pages. Kept it a simple design 3 3/4 inlets with fridge magnets. Basket made from an old well tank. 22.5 inches above charcoal grate is my cooking grate. Going to add a second grate 1 inch below top. Cut off the bead to fit a weber lid nice and snug. Had a little problem this morning getting some random lump my wife bought, so i threw the butt in the oven and refired some KF, shes chuggin along at 230 now. I am without computer after a power surge but will post pics soon. On a side note i purchased my barrel from a pawn shop in MN on Ebay. $30 delivered to my door. Had the pesky red liner. Nothing a couple burns and a few hours with a wire wheel couldnt manage. Thanks for the support.

inv3ctiv3 02-09-2011 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by otterpop (Post 1539948)
Well I finished most of my 1st UDS build on Saturday and fired it up at 8 a.m. Superbowl Sunday to smoke some ribs and wings for the game. I guess I found out how little I know about smoking, when compared to grilling. I didn't really know what temperature I was hoping to stabilize at, but guessed at 275°, and couldn't really nail it down. After 5 hours between 250° and 275°, the flavors were great but the meat a bit dry and not moist enough. So I learned a lot, but need to learn more. What temp should I be targeting?

Here's a few pics of my project. Also, when it rained, I got sooty water dripping off the lid and onto the sides of the drum. It was an old Weber lid, maybe I need to clean the inside of the lid, or is it normal to get drips like that?

One problem I see with the ribs was they look totally un trimmed and it looks as if maybe you left the membrane on?

blackdog043 02-09-2011 03:27 PM

Quote:

The drips down the side are normal, I just wipe it down when I'm done, it get's the worst of it off.

Trim the spares and remove the membrane. The trimming's are thinner and will cook faster. You might have just left them on to long. Did you do the bend test on the ribs, to see if they were done? I do my ribs @ 225-250.

The wings look good to me, if they were dry, maybe just cooked to long. Hard to get a good temp on them, I just go by color. Thats why you need some extra to sample as their cooking.

Edit: What size probe is on the thermometer? Is it 12" or on the side and did you check it for accuracy.(boil test)

IDODSICK 02-09-2011 06:56 PM

Oh yeah! Mustard injection sauce, 8.5 hrs, MONEY!!! My wife was licking the cutting board. One flare up to 275 after glazing, but got it right back in 230's. Best cooker yet.

Thunder's Wife 02-09-2011 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by inv3ctiv3 (Post 1540192)
Ok I test fitted my weber kettle lid and it fit perfectly, I just gotta get the tops off the drum!

Let me know how you got the tops off. Got two drums, sight unseen. Said "with lids", so I assumed REMOVEABLE lids. No welding torch here and I don't think my electric can opener is big enough!!

otterpop 02-10-2011 04:08 PM

inv3ctiv3 & blackdog043,
thanks, you're both right, the ribs were right out of the package not trimmed and membrane not removed. I need to study up on that. My lovely bride said "no need" but clearly this is my project so I'll trim and remove next time. Also, I think I went too hot and too long (that's what she said!). Will shoot for the 225° - 250° range next time.
Tried regular soap and water to remove the soot drips without luck, so going to simple green next.

Paul B 02-10-2011 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thunder's Wife (Post 1542448)
Let me know how you got the tops off. Got two drums, sight unseen. Said "with lids", so I assumed REMOVEABLE lids. No welding torch here and I don't think my electric can opener is big enough!!

There are a number of ways to do it. Sawzall, jigsaw, chisle and hammer, help from a neighbor, local welding shop. You get the idea......

Good Luck,

Paul B
SS UDS

bover 02-11-2011 12:54 PM

Just picked up three drums for $25 each and hope to start working on building my first UDS this weekend. Got a buddy that's a sheetmetal worker that will be fabricating the coal basket for me so this shouldn't involve much more than drilling a few holes. Pictures will definitely be posted.

For what it's worth the inside of these drums have been blasted clean with steel shot, have locking lids, and are in great shape. If you're in the KC area looking for a source, look up Consolidated Container Company down by Kemper Arena. Highly recommended.

Wampus 02-11-2011 01:04 PM

Quote:

is it normal to get drips like that?

Yup. Give's it CHARACTER!!!:thumb:
I don't plan on ever cleaning mine!:becky:
http://i840.photobucket.com/albums/z...b/IMG_1270.jpg