The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Ugly Drum Smoker (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23436)

Tattooque 01-07-2012 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scottjess (Post 1906723)

that'd be it!

handsareme 01-07-2012 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pappy (Post 1906713)
Install a UF watertight conduit nut in the side of mine it has a rubber grommet in the middle so your leads don't get chafed. It can be seen above the shelf. You can get them at Home Depot or Lowes.

http://i968.photobucket.com/albums/a...UDS/uds016.jpg

http://i968.photobucket.com/albums/a...tconnector.jpg

Thanks, my local Ace doesn't have them that small so I'm gonna have to wait until I head to the city.

As for the temp idea, my thermometer isn't actually all that long, maybe going into the barrel, at most, 4". I thought it was hotter in the middle, so if it's reading 225, wouldn't it be hotter? Or am I completely wrong?

Pappy 01-08-2012 06:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by handsareme (Post 1906784)
As for the temp idea, my thermometer isn't actually all that long, maybe going into the barrel, at most, 4". I thought it was hotter in the middle, so if it's reading 225, wouldn't it be hotter? Or am I completely wrong?

I use a short one. Didn't care for the long turkey thermometers.

I also use a 16" clay pot base from HD as a diffuser, then I cover it with foil to keep it clean and catch any drippings. I didn't like it dripping into the coals. When I am finished smoking I close the vents and let the fire go out. I can then reuse what is left over from the cook.

kevine 01-08-2012 10:02 PM

Almost done...

I'm just about done with my first UDS (thanks to all of the great info on this site....THANK YOU!) Here's a couple pictures of my progress to date.

I saw some postings and other threads saying that you do NOT need high heat paint, since the temp should not go above 400 degrees. Just wanted to get an idea from others how their regular paint UDS' are doing?

Also, I wanted a certain logo, but it would be too hard. So after painting it one solid color, I was considering mounting a vintage tin sign to the outside. Any issues anyone can think of if I do this?

brickie 01-08-2012 10:17 PM

My paint after many cooks is holding up fine. You'll be fine as long as you don't get some roaring fire going in the UDS.

As for the logo,just curious what logo do you think is too hard to do?

brickie

kevine 01-08-2012 10:36 PM

Marine Corps flag...I wanted to paint the UDS red, and then put the eagle globe and anchor with the UNITED STATES MARINE CORPS banner underneath, just like the flag...

kevine 01-08-2012 10:36 PM

On second thought, I may just paint it red, and in large yellow letters, just put U S M C on it...easy and cheap!

Paul Worth 01-09-2012 08:14 AM

Congratulations on a nice KISS UDS!

I used a metal valve stem (minus the valve) for the thermometer hole. It's a perfect fit and it's chrome plated.

http://images.oreillyauto.com/parts/...xts/15-416.jpg

The 1/2" water-tight Halex conduit connector is perfect for the digital probe wire.

I also did my charcoal basket like yours, using the lower "water pan" grate to hold the upside-down basket for grilling. I had to add some more intake holes at the new charcoal level to get good grilling temperatures. Now it works great.

brickie 01-09-2012 08:23 AM

Like the tire valve. How much did it cost?

Brickie

rrlmch 01-09-2012 09:54 AM

Venison snack sticks in UDS

Has anyone done venison snack sticks on the UDS. From what I have read the temps start pretty low. Can you do this. I am half way through my build and am very interested in the snack sticks. Any info greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Paul Worth 01-09-2012 10:14 AM

The tire valve stems are sold in pairs for about $5 around here. Just remove the actual valve and the turkey fryer thermometer is a perfect fit.

NU2QN 01-09-2012 11:24 AM

Started Build on Tuesday, Cooking on Sunday

I started building my UDS on Tuesday after work. I had it 75% complete an seasoned by Thursday night planning on a lot of cooking for the weekend. The wife pulled the "I want to go to the coast" card on me Friday morning. So much for smoking. However I didn't miss out on the food. Mo's Authentic Hickory Pit BBQ in Pismo beach has some of the best Pulled Pork Sandwiches. We got home early enough on Saturday for me to get the few things I needed to complete the UDS and Boston Butt for a trial run on Sunday. Everything turned out great. I took some picture of the finished product that i will post later. Here are some pics of my UDS.

Attachment 60002

Attachment 60003

Attachment 60004

Attachment 60005

Attachment 60006

Attachment 60007

Attachment 60008

Thanks for all the input on this sight. Very helpful!!!

crappiemike 01-09-2012 03:42 PM

I just made 4lbs. of jerky on my uds,cut a rump roast into 1/4 inch strips and seasoned and refrigerated overnight.Used two racks one upside down on the other to hold the strips and smoked for four hours at 150 to 165 degrees.Had to have my 2inch single air intake almost totally closed to maintain the temp....The handles on the upside down rack holds it about 2 inches above the lower rack..

Lawdog's Smokewagon 01-09-2012 05:10 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by kevine (Post 1907943)
I'm just about done with my first UDS (thanks to all of the great info on this site....THANK YOU!) Here's a couple pictures of my progress to date.

I saw some postings and other threads saying that you do NOT need high heat paint, since the temp should not go above 400 degrees. Just wanted to get an idea from others how their regular paint UDS' are doing?

Also, I wanted a certain logo, but it would be too hard. So after painting it one solid color, I was considering mounting a vintage tin sign to the outside. Any issues anyone can think of if I do this?

I used regular Rustoleum thinned with 15% acetone and sprayed 2 coats. It has held up perfectly. I used a magnectic Alabama Logo on the front and it has done fine too. I know a few on here have done the vinyl wrap for more elaborate looks. And they seem to work good.

El Ropo 01-09-2012 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NU2QN (Post 1908522)

I hope you burned out the dreaded red liner inside that drum! :doh::tape: