The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   MAK Group Buy (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=279141)

Sid Post 02-27-2020 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TravelingJ (Post 4276493)

No kidding. This Coronavirus is really screwing with Apple. The office bought me a new macbook pro, and it's been delayed with no ETA in sight ) =

Quote:

Originally Posted by rwalters (Post 4276497)
Wowsers... yeah, this virus sure has half the world scared to death. The first case was just reported in my area... and of course the evening news is blowing the story through the roof. Better wipe that MacBook down with bleach wipes when it eventually arrives.

Cornovirus is a real problem in crowded areas, especially with high travel rates but, unreasonable panic is a real concern as well.

Try buying a lead vapor face mask ... :mad2:

Lets see, I live in rural <insert remote rural area here> and I put my TINFOIL HAT on to fight it. I know! Lets buy all the 3M filter cartridges we can find. Oil resistant, GREAT! Aresenic and asbestos resistant, GREAT! Only have XL size paper masks available, BETTER THAN NOTHING!

When you see people wearing paper masks in public in rural TEXAS, things are skewed out of reason. I get relative risk but, I'm more concerned by being hit by a car from a distracted driver than catching Cornovirus from a neighbor that hasn't traveled outside of East Texas for 6 months and the state for a year or two. :mad2:

I would like to think they are protecting me/us from the FLU :sick: but, sadly that wasn't the case, at least with the people I ran into. Masks for the FLU while in public, NO WAY but, for a fear of a pandemic that isn't here, SURE!

rwalters 02-27-2020 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbrass (Post 4276523)
Had an idea that might make them sweeten the deal...if everyone in the purchasing group committed to one social media post per month for a year (cross-posted on Twitter, Instagram and Facebook), we would essentially create an influencer marketing program for them. We would all become MAK brand ambassadors during a time when companies like Weber and Treager are spending a ton on advertising. They need help with their advertising and something like this could go a long way in doing that for them.

To do this. The purchasing group would need to provide their numbers of followers across all networks to show what the impact would be.

Depending on our numbers, could easily justify an additional 20% discount.

If you a guys all agree, I could help put this story together (I lead Advertising for a large Fortune 500 company).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MAK seems to be one of those quiet, focused companies that does not do much advertising. It seems their primary marketing strategy is their existing customer base (the MAK family). Whether they want to invite the MAK family into the role of “social media influencer” would obviously be up to them. They kind of already have a social media influencer group in the fact that there are MAK family members (MAK owners) in groups/forums that are regularly interacting with the BBQ community and showing the “goods” visually and through written word.

No harm in asking though :)

Sid Post 02-27-2020 08:46 AM

M Grills is another one! Pretty quietly making a really good product that serves a niche of the BBQ/Smoker world.

Whether MAK or M Grills really want to go big-time SOCIAL MEDIA and all the hype and overhead is an unknown to me. A huge spike in demand that dies off has killed many a successful small "Mom and Pop" business.

mbrass 02-27-2020 08:49 AM

Again, it was just an idea. We don’t have to do that. But, companies pay good money for social media influencers, and it wouldn’t be much work on our end, so...led me to that idea.

To Ed’s comment, as an influencer you wouldn’t talk about the deal you got. You would talk about how great the cookers are and further spread the gospel making people think twice before getting a Smokefire or anything else.

Social media is a powerful tool, which is why companies spend hundreds of millions of dollars advertising on the different networks.

rwalters 02-27-2020 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbrass (Post 4276562)
Again, it was just an idea. We don’t have to do that. But, companies pay good money for social media influencers, and it wouldn’t be much work on our end, so...led me to that idea.

To Ed’s comment, as an influencer you wouldn’t talk about the deal you got. You would talk about how great the cookers are and further spread the gospel making people think twice before getting a Smokefire or anything else.

Social media is a powerful tool, which is why companies spend hundreds of millions of dollars advertising on the different networks.

Absolutely! I have a few buddies that are brand ambassadors for Traeger. Traeger pours a lot of resources into their social media influencer program... no arguing with that.

Crispy Bacon 02-27-2020 09:18 AM

I just wish MAK would make more videos of their product in action. Several years ago they did that. It was nice seeing what it could do. It’s only gotten better & they should showcase that!

Now. Not to be a jerk but we’ve kind of gotten off topic. It would be nice to get an actual head count as to who is interested. That way we know if it’s feasible for possible buyers & MAK.

Mike Twangzer 02-27-2020 09:26 AM

Dang !!! ALL THIS HYPE ..... WTH .... I'd like to see the $$$ ...thx
p.s. .... hope this isn't a grease fire trap and the pellets don't slide .:-D

SweetHeatBBQnSC 02-27-2020 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rwalters (Post 4276566)
Absolutely! I have a few buddies that are brand ambassadors for Traeger. Traeger pours a lot of resources into their social media influencer program... no arguing with that.

MAK said who needs influencers when they have rwalters out here cleaning up for them!

rwalters 02-27-2020 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SweetHeatBBQnSC (Post 4276585)
MAK said who needs influencers when they have rwalters out here cleaning up for them!

Just a really happy MAK owner buddy... that’s it :)

Johnny in L.A. 02-27-2020 10:31 AM

I am in on a group buy! Lurker Johnny from Santa Monica, CA here. I appreciate this site and all you Brethren. I've been out of the game because of a backyard remodel, and will be moving from a KBQ wood-fired convection oven smoker and an 18" kettle to a MAK and a nice gasser.

I'd like a 2* with cabinet door, full upper grate (unless 3/4 size would be better for me, I won't often cook for a big crowd), accessory hanger, grill cover, and MAK Mobile. This comes out to some pretty big $$ so any discount would be welcome!

rwalters 02-27-2020 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny in L.A. (Post 4276597)
I am in on a group guy! Lurker Johnny from Santa Monica, CA here. I appreciate this site and all you Brethren. I've been out of the game because of a backyard remodel, and will be moving from a KBQ wood-fired convection oven smoker and an 18" kettle to a MAK and a nice gasser.

I'd like a 2* with cabinet door, full upper grate (unless 3/4 size would be better for me, I won't often cook for a big crowd), accessory hanger, grill cover, and MAK Mobile. This comes out to some pretty big $$ so any discount would be welcome!

Hey buddy! Nice to see you pop in :)

KevinJ 02-27-2020 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny in L.A. (Post 4276597)
I am in on a group buy! Lurker Johnny from Santa Monica, CA here. I appreciate this site and all you Brethren. I've been out of the game because of a backyard remodel, and will be moving from a KBQ wood-fired convection oven smoker and an 18" kettle to a MAK and a nice gasser.

Get the full size upper grate, the bottom grate is actually made up of 2 half grates, if grilling you can use the full size upper as your bottom grate (fits perfectly) and the 2 half grates as an upper grate. I do this quite often when grilling or doing reverse sears. For MAK 1 Star users you need to have the flame zone insert which come with the 2 grates that run side to side instead of front to back.

Baychilla 02-27-2020 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KevinJ (Post 4276631)
Get the full size upper grate, the bottom grate is actually made up of 2 half grates, if grilling you can use the full size upper as your bottom grate (fits perfectly) and the 2 half grates as an upper grate. I do this quite often when grilling or doing reverse sears. For MAK 1 Star users you need to have the flame zone insert which come with the 2 grates that run side to side instead of front to back.

If you have the full size upper grate in place and load both levels to the gills how hard is it to get to the areas at the back of the cooker covered by the upper grate?

Jrogers84 02-27-2020 01:46 PM

do we have discount amounts here?

rwalters 02-27-2020 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baychilla (Post 4276641)
If you have the full size upper grate in place and load both levels to the gills how hard is it to get to the areas at the back of the cooker covered by the upper grate?

I’ve been doing it for over 4 years and have personally found it to be fairly easy.