The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Smoker Blasphemy (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=104606)

southernsmoker 04-16-2011 07:00 PM

Smoker Blasphemy

Ya know We've had a Lang for a few years and I'm getting weary of the grind with the long long long hours of stokin the fire. We're thinking of converting to propane...what do ya think? Anyone out there that has done it? Pros & Cons please..

thillin 04-16-2011 07:02 PM

Have you thought of building a charcoal basket and maybe getting a Guru or other draft system?

gtr 04-16-2011 07:27 PM

Don't know about the propane, haven't done it, but I will say that the process is supposed to be enjoyable - whatever gets you there, do it!

Gore 04-16-2011 07:37 PM

I have no idea how you manage in that climate. Must be feeding it continually. If it were me, I'd make the switch.

El Ropo 04-16-2011 10:18 PM

Someone has to say it.... UDS?

pahutchens 04-16-2011 10:22 PM

I converted my ECB to a propane....:rolleyes: was happier... :redface:
till I built a UDS:-D

LT72884 04-16-2011 10:50 PM

I have a ECB propane to! havnt used it yet but i have had food from propane smokers and it was GOOOD!

a southern pride cooker to be exact!

Smoothsmoke 04-16-2011 11:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thillin (Post 1612514)
Have you thought of building a charcoal basket and maybe getting a Guru or other draft system?

This with a charcoal basket should do the trick.

southernsmoker 04-17-2011 03:47 AM

Thanks guys for your comments. :thumb:

I have a "gassmoker.com" conversion kit, and wondering before I install it if it will create enough heat for the Lang 84? It's supposedly 112,000 btu's with the taps wide open. It's supposed to but just trying to find anyone with actual experience.

Muzzlebrake 04-17-2011 10:22 AM

friends dont let friends switch to propane!

In all seriousness why not take a look at different kind of cooker instead of doing a conversion. There are plenty of cookers in the same price range as your Lang that will give you long unattended cooks without having to use gas. Check out the Cookshack, Backwoods, or Stumps lineups for some ideas

Wampus 04-17-2011 11:21 AM

As a lover of all things charcoal and wood smoked.....I HAVE to agree with Muzzlebrake here.....

There HAS to be a viable alternative to going to gas outright. You, yourself, called it "blasphemy" right out of the box!!!

Not giving you grief. And I also agree with Gore....those climates up there in the Great White North have GOT to be some kind of challenge. Only you know for sure.....but MAN......say it ain't so.....:tsk::rolleyes::heh::becky:

che22879 04-17-2011 11:26 AM

I say switch to propane. I started smoking with my 55 gallon drum grill but like you I was constantly attending to the fire. I got a propane smoker and I love that thing. I can go spend time with my friends and family while I'm smoking and not worry about the fire going out or getting too low. I just put more wood chips when needed and I'm good to go.

Cook 04-17-2011 11:51 AM

Bank your coals...or make the switch...whatever makes you happy...screw everyone else.

Gore 04-17-2011 12:08 PM

If it were for personal use, I'd agree with everyone else and build a UDS or get a ceramic. I got mine primarily so I could Q in the winter. For commercial use though, I think you're really fighting an uphill battle. You also have to consider your customer base. Are they really going to care? I would bet probably not. Do you have any competition?

southernsmoker 04-17-2011 03:22 PM

Yep, it's a difficult decision, keeping the fire going in the cold vs warmer climes isn't a big issue, it's pretty well the same regardless of the season. I'm thinking that with propane I could better utilize the cooker. Take a pig roast for example, smoking it makes the skin is inedible, possibly with higher heat at the end from lp will change that? I don't know I'm guessing until I try it, that's partially why I'm posting.
I could use it as an oven for cooking other items that would not be appropriate with smoke, maybe grilling as well. The kit just set’s in place, no drilling no welding, no mods making it a permanent fixture. I do like the depth of flavour that all wood brings so it could be quickly switched.
I guess I'm going to have to try it. I'll keep you posted in the meantime your comments are very welcome. :thumb: