The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Competition BBQ (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   vacuum sealing after injecting (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=156527)

rooftop bbq 03-18-2013 11:50 PM

vacuum sealing after injecting

We've been wrapping our meats tightly in plastic wrap after injecting. We recently got some nice vacmasters. Has anyone vacuum sealed after injecting. Does it pull the injection back out of the meat at all?

cpw 03-19-2013 07:51 AM

Don't they make those little vacuum marinators that you can hook up to the vacuum sealer? The point of those is to suck the marinade into the meat. I would think the effect would be the same if you're doing it in a bag vs. doing it in a bowl with a lid.

moocow 03-19-2013 08:10 AM

I do my briskets and butts at every contest. Works Great.

Slamdunkpro 03-19-2013 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cpw (Post 2413549)
Don't they make those little vacuum marinators that you can hook up to the vacuum sealer? The point of those is to suck the marinade into the meat. I would think the effect would be the same if you're doing it in a bag vs. doing it in a bowl with a lid.

It doesn't work like that. Unless you are using a chamber vacuum or a rigid container when you draw air out of the bag the atmosphere presses down and forces the bag around the meat. The pressure remains the same inside and outside the bag. With a chamber vac or when using a pressure vessel (rigid container) the meat will actually expand and open up a little due to the difference in pressure.

Jaskew82 03-19-2013 12:14 PM

I just wrap the meat tightly in plastic wrap then inject. Helps prevent the inject from squirting everywhere. Also seems to keep the injection in the meat - though I am probably just imagining that.

big matt 03-19-2013 12:20 PM

We've done it but it's a pain in the rear to keep the juices from getting sucked into the tray..we use ziploc blue bags(xxl)and dump our extra injection in there and roll it up tight...so the meat is sitting completely submerged in it.

cpw 03-19-2013 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slamdunkpro (Post 2413648)
It doesn't work like that. Unless you are using a chamber vacuum or a rigid container when you draw air out of the bag the atmosphere presses down and forces the bag around the meat. The pressure remains the same inside and outside the bag. With a chamber vac or when using a pressure vessel (rigid container) the meat will actually expand and open up a little due to the difference in pressure.

So what's happening isn't that the marinade is getting sucked into the meat, it's that the meat is getting slightly expanded so the marinade can get into it easier.

Makes sense....reminds me of science class when they'd put the marshmallow peep in the vacuum chamber.

Slamdunkpro 03-19-2013 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cpw (Post 2413884)
Makes sense....reminds me of science class when they'd put the marshmallow peep in the vacuum chamber.

Same effect