The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Ugly Drum Smoker (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23436)

mmmmeat 10-02-2011 01:43 PM

Ugly Drum Smoker - YouTube

Posted from my fancy android fone!!

smokingj 10-02-2011 02:07 PM

Hey folks.

Going to be starting my 1st build soon and have 2 questions:
1. Is there a search function on this site? That way I can search instead of having to ask a question that's probably been answered 1000 times.
2. Is it ok to run a square firebox instead of a round one inside a drum? I was thinking of a 12x12x8 square for my unit.

Thanks for the help/input.

Rodney 10-02-2011 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mmmmeat (Post 1805198)
Ugly Drum Smoker - YouTube

Posted from my fancy android fone!!

Nice vid! :thumb:

Capozzoli 10-02-2011 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smokingj (Post 1805212)
Hey folks.

Going to be starting my 1st build soon and have 2 questions:
1. Is there a search function on this site? That way I can search instead of having to ask a question that's probably been answered 1000 times.
2. Is it ok to run a square firebox instead of a round one inside a drum? I was thinking of a 12x12x8 square for my unit.

Thanks for the help/input.

There is a search function its on the tool bar at the top center.

I use square fire baskets and they work great.

Mr. Bo 10-02-2011 06:01 PM

After today I can attest that the round ones are a booger to roll the way you need it to!

smokingj 10-02-2011 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Capozzoli (Post 1805298)

Figures it would be right in my face:redface:
Thanks for the help.

Rodney 10-02-2011 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Bo (Post 1805352)
After today I can attest that the round ones are a booger to roll the way you need it to!

That's probably 'cuz you rolled it the wrong way, just like I did! LOL! (See my video in my signature). If you orient the diamond shapes vertically instead of horizontally, the opposite of how I did it in my video, it's roughly 4.2 times easier to bend. I know this because I did a stress analysis with my CAD software in order to see exactly how much harder I had made life for myself. :thumb:

By the way, I used 9-gauge x 3/4" flattened expanded sheet.

-Rodney

Sly-one 10-03-2011 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Capozzoli (Post 1805298)

I guess I'm just plain stooopid because I still don't see a search feature, in the middle up top or anywhere else.

I have a square basket, and it works great. :thumb:

Paul Worth 10-03-2011 08:27 AM

I scored five closed top drums used to hold hydraulic fluid this weekend, $20 each. Very nice drums and easy to clean. The old hot water and Tide trick cleaned them right up. I'll probably burn them anyway (Fire! Fire!) just to be safe. If you are in the south Georgia or north Florida area and need one, let me know and I'll put you in touch with the guy. He has two to three per week (Volvo heavy equipment mechanic). Should be time for end-of-season sales on grills soon.

1FUNVET 10-03-2011 08:30 AM

I have a square basket that is 14x14x12. Works great.

Mr. Bo 10-03-2011 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rodney (Post 1805463)
That's probably 'cuz you rolled it the wrong way, just like I did! LOL! (See my video in my signature). If you orient the diamond shapes vertically instead of horizontally, the opposite of how I did it in my video, it's roughly 4.2 times easier to bend. I know this because I did a stress analysis with my CAD software in order to see exactly how much harder I had made life for myself. :thumb:

By the way, I used 9-gauge x 3/4" flattened expanded sheet.

-Rodney

Wish I'd seen this first!

Rodney 10-03-2011 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Worth (Post 1805727)
I scored five closed top drums used to hold hydraulic fluid this weekend, $20 each. Very nice drums and easy to clean. The old hot water and Tide trick cleaned them right up. I'll probably burn them anyway (Fire! Fire!) just to be safe. If you are in the south Georgia or north Florida area and need one, let me know and I'll put you in touch with the guy. He has two to three per week (Volvo heavy equipment mechanic). Should be time for end-of-season sales on grills soon.

Those Weber knock-offs sold at Wal-Mart are a good source for a lid and a grate, and IIRC, they're around $30 when they're NOT on sale! CHEAP!

-r

smokingj 10-03-2011 09:01 AM

Sly it's at the very bottom of the page.

Mr. Bo 10-03-2011 02:18 PM

I just typed this into the form, "expanded metal cooking grates", hit search and absolutely nothing happened. Is it just me?

Pappy 10-03-2011 02:28 PM

Worked for me.

Use google custom search near the bottom.