The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Competition BBQ (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Your WORST Box Ever! (What Not to Turn in!) (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=51042)

ZBQ 10-23-2008 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC_Bobby (Post 764315)
DQ'd? Shouldn't you have just received a taste 1 and tenderness 1 from any judges that were not able to get a sample?

Well, I guess it wasn't DQ'd.....it might as well have been.....we recieved 1's across the board for appearance and all 1's from the one judge that didn't get a sample.

The reps went strictly by the book and were very proffesional about it.

I never have figured out why you should recieve 1's for appearance for having
2 ribs that are not completely cut apart. I don't see it being an appearance issue because you can't tell that they aren't completely cut through by veiwing it for appearance. Just when the judge is removing a sample.

On the other hand, I fully understand and agree with recieving all 1's from the judge who didn't recieve a sample.

I guess it's just punitive in nature, no other legitimate reason that I can think of.

But, the rules is the rules............Live and Learn.......

I hope someone else can learn what NOT to do from my mistake.........

From the KCBS rules........#12

Quote:

Judges may not cut, slice, or shake apart to separate pieces. (If there is not
enough meat for each judge to sample, the shorted judge(s)
will score a one (1) on all criteria, and the judges having
samples will change the Appearance score to one (1).)

Solidkick 10-23-2008 12:15 PM

Great fun!

I've changed computers since we started competing in 2004, but I have the pics saved on a disk....give me a bit to find them.....I think I've got a few doozies to share....:eek::oops::mrgreen::wink:

Unlike Scottie, whos NEVER had a bad box, I can't say that for the Bellys! :twisted:

paydabill 10-23-2008 12:46 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Here you go - First contest WOW!

The ribs actualyl placed 12th - the pork was 32 out of 35 and the Brisket was 34 (someone got DQ).

MMM tasty.

Plowboy 10-23-2008 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paydabill (Post 764617)
Here you go - First contest WOW!

The ribs actualyl placed 12th - the pork was 32 out of 35 and the Brisket was 34 (someone got DQ).

MMM tasty.

You remember our first KCBS contest... Marshall 2002. What a dismal showing.

paydabill 10-23-2008 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Plowboy (Post 764640)
You remember our first KCBS contest... Marshall 2002. What a dismal showing.

That's because you did not show until 3:00 am to cook, and if I remember right, you left the propane hose in the hot box.

Other than that it was a good time.

Redaero 10-23-2008 05:35 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This was from a backyard contest in Brookline, NH this year. Our very first. Things have gotten better since then (I hope).

The Pickled Pig 10-23-2008 07:11 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Thankfully, we didn't take pics of our entries for the first 4 years else these wouldn't qualify as our worst. :shock:

SloppyQ 10-23-2008 07:26 PM

Hey Jeff show them Sloppy Creeks DAL pork from the Royal.

Bigmista 10-23-2008 07:27 PM

Ummm...what animal is this from?

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/at...1&d=1224807036

Bigmista 10-23-2008 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SloppyQ (Post 764923)
Hey Jeff show them Sloppy Creeks DAL pork from the Royal.

Just curious, why does your avatar say Backwoods Smokers but there are none listed in your signature?

ammoore 10-23-2008 07:30 PM

Oh Yeah...top this

This past weekend I wasn't paying attention and somehow a rubber glove was left in my rib box....:icon_sick

The_Kapn 10-23-2008 07:36 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Great thread!

Chad is gonna kill me, but here goes!
Our very first FBA comp at Mulberry in 2004.
We were expecting to win it all! :oops:

I am especially proud of those ribs. :wink:

And, if I remember correctly, we were 13th of 31 teams with these entries. :-D

We have learned a lot since then.

All joking aside, the ONLY comp experience that we had was one event where Dave went to NY and cooked with Phil in the real early days of the BBQ Brethren comp teams.
That is why we now recommend "mentoring", "classes", "judging", and any exposure that a team can get before laying it on the line!!!!

Like I said---great thread!!!

TIM

The Pickled Pig 10-23-2008 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bigmista (Post 764925)

That would be some not so award winning yardbird.:icon_bugeyed

Midnight Smoke 10-23-2008 10:09 PM

Great thread all. Makes me feel a little more comfortable knowing that if I ever got a chance to compete and really screw it up, just move on and try again.

Plowboy 10-24-2008 12:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Pickled Pig (Post 764994)
That would be some not so award winning yardbird.:icon_bugeyed

My attorneys will be contacting you about using the term Yardbird in association with that box. :cool:

Disclaimer: The product displayed in the above picture is not endorsed by Plowboys BBQ or Plowboys Food, LLC. :wink: When preparing BBQ, please drink responsibly.