The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Warped Propeller on my Weber 22.5" OTG (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=292164)

bbqgeekess 06-02-2021 12:45 PM

Warped Propeller on my Weber 22.5" OTG

I haven't really used my Weber 22.5" OTG all that much really .. maybe 30 cooks total over the past 6 years since I bought it. The Proller is warped bad and I can't reduce the airflow enough and it just gets tway too hot in side. It worked good at first when it was new.

So is this repairable? Isn't the stock one riveted in if I recall? do I drill them out and replace with an aftermarket propeller to fix it? How well do the replacements work? I'd like it as good as new or better.

Why did my propeller warp and how do I avoid this in the future? Do I simply not use it to clear ash and small bits of charcoal? Should I be pouring out the ash instead and perhaps spraying it with water hose?

Do I need to buy a new OTG? If so, how about say a Portable Kitchen instead? The design of PK seems nice and it doesn't look like any of the vents below can warp.

Just want soemthing that is reliable. I wish the OTG had vents on the sides like the WSM to avoid this propeller warp problem.

I'd apperciate any advice thanks :)

Jennifer

el_matt 06-02-2021 01:06 PM

Totally, and easily replaceable. Most stores with a good Weber selection will have them in stock. If I remember correctly, they are about $20. If you can't find it locally, you can always call Weber, their customer service is fantastic.

Matt

rque 06-02-2021 01:22 PM

You need Weber part 7444, 22.5” ash sweeper, $20 on Amazon. I bent my original and my last replacement as well. Not too happy about it but temp control isn’t awful. On another internet forum it was suggested that small unburnt pieces of lump can cause the sweepers to bend up when they get jammed in the vent holes. Not sure what to do about that.

mcyork28 06-02-2021 02:33 PM

I had to replace mine a while back. Very east to replace. I think the only tool required was a flat head screwdriver.

Greygoose 06-02-2021 04:29 PM

Good to know,,,,,
Mine is getting a lil flappy,,,,

HouseDoc 06-02-2021 04:48 PM

10 year warranty I believe, call Weber and ask. I have had great results.

bbqgeekess 06-02-2021 04:48 PM

I think in the future I'll just dump out all the ash/coals into my ash can rather than use the propeller to flush it. I'll just use prop for vent only.

bbqgeekess 06-02-2021 04:51 PM

Ordered the 7444 part thanks guys.

SMOKE FREAK 06-02-2021 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bbqgeekess (Post 4481851)
I think in the future I'll just dump out all the ash/coals into my ash can rather than use the propeller to flush it. I'll just use prop for vent only.

A little hand held broom would work well to sweep the ashes through the openings.

bbqgeekess 06-03-2021 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SMOKE FREAK (Post 4481865)
A little hand held broom would work well to sweep the ashes through the openings.

Okay, then I guess I could pick out the small charcoal pieces leftover by hand.

I think I used the propeller int he past to chop up little pieces of charcoal so they'd go through.. that's probably what warped it lol.

SmokyDick 06-03-2021 07:28 PM

I had to replace mine recently and it sure didn't come out easily. I had to dremel that thing off.

Chester 06-03-2021 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SMOKE FREAK (Post 4481865)

I use an old 4” paint brush. Works well for me.