New "extra hot" wood product...

Michigan BBQ Fan

Take a breath!
Reaction score
HI Brethern,

Just saw this come out from Jealous Devil...
https://www.amazon.com/Jealous-Devil-Hickory-Compressed-Hardwood/dp/B07W5BDGG9

It looks like an extremely hot burning compressed wood product. I've had good luck with the lump charcoal they make. Good size, clean and burns long with little ash. Interested to see how these work. I've used "compressed wood" from MojoBricks for flavor. I like them but I'm starting to transition back to more traditional hardwood options.

Anybody try these yet? Thoughts? Ideas?

Honestly, I'm not totally sure. Which is why I want to try it. My guess is they are designed to get way hotter than "normal" charcoal/wood. So, managed correctly, you have less need to open your smoker to change/load fuel.

Interesting product. When I moved away from hardwood I went with mesquite lump, then more and more brands of lump became popular. I sort of skipped over briquettes. 4 or 5 years ago I got into Long Burning Kingsford and really like the performance, but I layer them into lump. This might be something to check out.

I'm dying to find out how long they actually burn

and the best way to light, weed torch?

I'm dying to find out how long they actually burn

and the best way to light, weed torch?

Torch is their recommended way of lighting them. I'll find out how long they burn this Saturday.

I seen it said torch but I tried starter cubes laid 1 log 2 broken pieces of fire brick, I put 6 soaked cotton balls and light. Came back in 30 min. no dice just a little char, thru 8 more under it and it finally light. I let in run no lid in the kettle. A couple or so rs later I covered it with all vents open and went to bed. Nothing but ash in the morning. I was impressed how long it burned but I don't really know what I'll use them for. Maybe the santa maria...

Back