The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Ugly Drum Smoker (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23436)

OEF5 10-04-2017 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Czarbecue (Post 3881133)
This is what comes with a $450 UDS:

*New 55 gal Drum - Powder Coated single color of your choice $55 for me
*Charcoal Basket - 16 pound capacity
*3" Professional Adjustable Thermometer with upgraded 4" probe
*Custom Cool Touch Spring Handle $20 for me
*One Cooking Grate
*Digital Thermometer Probe Port $15
*Three Intake Ports
*4 All Steel Casters No clue on cost, I didn't go with casters

The exhaust is just 8 holes drilled around the lid.


See my updates in Red, I've looked into powder coating and that's only $55 for the powder coat, not the time for sandblasting or prep. The place I checked was $125 and hour for that so for powder coating one, on top of the $180 I already have in it that doubles the cost to $260. All of the prices that I put in red would be upgrades to my smoker. If I had someone ask me to build them something like this, it would be in the $400 range.

I'm actually going to have one done in powder coat for my daughter as a graduation present and totally upgrade the heck out of it, glow in the dark Tel Tru, additional things on the outside for her college and sorority the fancy spring handles. I figure it's going to cost me $300 or more just for that build with only those upgrades.

Czarbecue 10-04-2017 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PorkinButts82 (Post 3881137)
Got a pic of said $450 UDS? A rock solid UDS can be built for under $150, maybe even $100 depending on how much of a deal getter you are.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

This thing looked so basic I thought it would be comparable to a PBC.

https://images.craigslist.org/00e0e_...Js_600x450.jpg

https://images.craigslist.org/01111_...7_1200x900.jpg

OEF5 10-04-2017 12:00 PM

I wouldn't pay $1 for that, Cowboys suck :heh::heh:

Czarbecue 10-04-2017 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OEF5 (Post 3881156)
I wouldn't pay $1 for that, Cowboys suck :heh::heh:

I agree. It will take your brisket to the stall and just give up.

Nuco59 10-04-2017 05:41 PM

Wonder if Jerry Jones gets his cut of all those cowboy UDS sales? I wouldn't drop dime on the fella or anything but he ought to know that Jones has lots of lawyers who might call him up and say "hey".

Paint scheme and logo not withstanding - $450 is not a super high a price to pay. I'd lose those cheezy risers tho'

SmokerKing 10-04-2017 09:15 PM

$500 My cost - BUFORD UDS;

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/640...922/hL84tZ.jpg

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/640...924/g673Du.jpg

el luchador 10-05-2017 01:06 AM

2 Attachment(s)
guys ive been racking my brains trying to figure out a way to have a uds stick burner.

what do you guys think of this idea? the drum is sitting on bricks and would slide off for cleaning
sorry abt poor sketchup skills. downloaded it two days ago

ebijack 10-05-2017 03:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by el luchador (Post 3881519)
guys ive been racking my brains trying to figure out a way to have a uds stick burner.

You can purchase a door made to fit a 55 gal drum and mount it.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=231293
https://www.bbqsmokermods.com/produc...wsm-qcdr22.htm
Or make one yourself. Note: you will need alot more intake and exhaust than what is required for smoking using coal/wood to burn wood splits. Some folks run with the door open as their intake control. I use my intakes below the door. 4" exhaust is ideal for getting to 800+*.
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/640...922/6XWZx8.jpg

Nuco59 10-05-2017 05:47 AM

That wood fired UDS could be a fun project. Building the fire box separately and plopping your drum section right on top is pretty novel. How much do you plant to shorten the drum so it's not too tall? I've seen folks piece together sections of drums- it doesn't look too bad. Good point is you don't have to worry as much about sealing the leaks back up as you would with charcoal burning UDS.

Keep figuring, planning and drawing- it could turn into a very cool cooker.

el luchador 10-05-2017 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ebijack (Post 3881529)
You can purchase a door made to fit a 55 gal drum and mount it.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=231293
https://www.bbqsmokermods.com/produc...wsm-qcdr22.htm
Or make one yourself. Note: you will need alot more intake and exhaust than what is required for smoking using coal/wood to burn wood splits. Some folks run with the door open as their intake control. I use my intakes below the door. 4" exhaust is ideal for getting to 800+*.
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/640...922/6XWZx8.jpg

thanks for that pic. I have seriously considered that, using a full diameter baffle or two between the fire and the meat. Im not sure how it would work but that would be the easiest method.
I was thinking put the door right at the bottom lip of the barrel so one can open it up and sweep out the ash.

thanks for sharing that pic. is that perchance your build?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nuco59 (Post 3881546)
That wood fired UDS could be a fun project. Building the fire box separately and plopping your drum section right on top is pretty novel. How much do you plant to shorten the drum so it's not too tall? I've seen folks piece together sections of drums- it doesn't look too bad. Good point is you don't have to worry as much about sealing the leaks back up as you would with charcoal burning UDS.

Keep figuring, planning and drawing- it could turn into a very cool cooker.

thanks a bunch man. I was planning on going 18 inches for the height of the drum so its not too tall.

thank you man. I want to figure this out. theres got to be an inexpensive way to burn wood with the uds :)

ebijack 10-05-2017 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by el luchador (Post 3881587)
thanks for that pic.
I was thinking put the door right at the bottom lip of the barrel so one can open it up and sweep out the ash.
thanks for sharing that pic. is that perchance your build?

Yes that is one of my builds.
The access door has to reach well above the fire basket in order to easily add/adjust logs. Sweeping out coals is easy with
https://www.menards.com/main/housewa...1706210&ipos=9
and dump ashes where ever you want. Very easy.
I burn alot of wood in my vertical UDS. That is what I use it for the most. I have other "smokers", one being an offset.
Questions, just ask.

el luchador 10-05-2017 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ebijack (Post 3881609)
Yes that is one of my builds.
The access door has to reach well above the fire basket in order to easily add/adjust logs. Sweeping out coals is easy with
https://www.menards.com/main/housewa...1706210&ipos=9
and dump ashes where ever you want. Very easy.
I burn alot of wood in my vertical UDS. That is what I use it for the most. I have other "smokers", one being an offset.
Questions, just ask.

AWESOME.
that's like me asking my boy "if you want Pizza, just ask" . the answer is always HEck yeah. :biggrin1:

so heck yeah I do have questions.
burning just wood, what kind of bafflage do you have between the fire and the meat?

what temps do you generally cook at?

do you put logs in the barrel or get it to embers outside the barrel and then put the embers in the barrel?

if you have a baffle, how high up is it?

you made a cutout of the barrel. and then it looks like you surrounded the opening with some steel - what gauge and width?

These are just the beginning questions. I will have MOAR!!! :biggrin1:

THANKS

ebijack 10-05-2017 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by el luchador (Post 3881631)
AWESOME.
that's like me asking my boy "if you want Pizza, just ask" . the answer is always HEck yeah. :biggrin1:

so heck yeah I do have questions.
burning just wood, what kind of bafflage do you have between the fire and the meat? I have 3 bolts that can hold another grate with deflector. But I don't use it.

what temps do you generally cook at? 275-750*

do you put logs in the barrel or get it to embers outside the barrel and then put the embers in the barrel? splits, same I use for my offset.

if you have a baffle, how high up is it? 15" from the bottom if I remember right.

you made a cutout of the barrel. and then it looks like you surrounded the opening with some steel - what gauge and width? I used some 1/8X3/4" and rolled to the shape of the drum. Tack weld. You could use some sheet metal 1" wide and do the same. I haven't seen where what I used makes a difference.

These are just the beginning questions. I will have MOAR!!! :biggrin1:

THANKS

No problem.

Czarbecue 10-05-2017 11:20 AM

Ugly Drum Smoker
 
Correct me if I am wrong but isnít that just an elaborated vertical smoker at that point?

Czarbecue 10-05-2017 11:21 AM

This is pretty awesome. :clap:

Quote:

Originally Posted by SmokerKing (Post 3881475)



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:59 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
2003 -2012 © BBQ-Brethren Inc. All rights reserved. All Content and Flaming Pig Logo are registered and protected under U.S and International Copyright and Trademarks. Content Within this Website Is Property of BBQ Brethren Inc. Reproduction or alteration is strictly prohibited.