-   Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses. (
-   -   Liability Insurance (

kghart 07-29-2013 01:18 PM

Liability Insurance
This past May I pulled a temporary vending permit from my HD and event insurance to "test the waters" selling PP sandwiches at our local hardware supply. Sold out two hours early the first day and an hour early the second. Now I'm looking at getting my permanent health permit and liability insurance to continue vending and do some catering.

I'm getting quotes on $1,000,000 in liability coverage between $1300 -$1700. This seems high since I've seen comments on this forum that insurance could run between $500 - $700.

Does this seem out of line to anyone else?

Pyle's BBQ 07-29-2013 02:08 PM

Is that quote for a year or for 6 months? Are you going to just do this during the summer months? Those quotes don't sound too out of line.

marubozo 07-29-2013 07:09 PM

Seems pretty close, at least from what I've seen in my area.

I carry a $1M per occurrence, up to $2M per year policy that covers liability at my restaurant, plus outside vending, and that runs me close to $1,900/year. But I also have additional endorsements for damage I cause to spaces rented out to me at an event, extended coverage for employees driving non-company cars, etc.

So if you're looking for liability insurance that strictly covers vending, those prices don't seem too out of line. Some of the really low quotes you may find people talking about might be basic umbrella policies, not necessarily commercial liability policies.

themidniteryder 07-29-2013 10:11 PM

Out here in the land of the money hungry and over regulation, I was quoted $850 for a 1mil GL to cover catering for a year. Vending, so far I have grabbed at a per event basis @ $90 per event. I did find a policy recently for a cater that covered a 1 time event (banquet hall, food liability, halls commercial prep kitchen, the whole event) for $90 based on 175 attendance. It may be different where your at, but here it seems catering and vending are considered 2 separate liabilities and require different policies.

LostNation 07-30-2013 04:34 AM

Insurance is cheap in VT, I pay $400 per year and other then the 1M-2M coverage all my equipment, signage, trailer and my pit

kghart 07-30-2013 12:43 PM

This if one year and I'll be catering year round (hopefully) but only vending a couple times a month during the warmer months. I don't plan to do fair/festival type vending. Just setup in a local parking lot and sell sandwiches.

caseydog 07-30-2013 01:12 PM

It may be that business insurance for food related businesses cost more, because of the food poisoning risk.

I pay about $750 a year for $2-million in liability for my professional photography business.


Pyle's BBQ 07-30-2013 02:09 PM

Hijack on.

CD, does your insurance cover the car if you are driving it to a site?

Hijack off.

caseydog 07-30-2013 02:14 PM


Originally Posted by Pyle's BBQ (Post 2571195)
Hijack on.

CD, does your insurance cover the car if you are driving it to a site?

Hijack off.

No. The car owners are responsible for that. It is a weird setup.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:20 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
2003 -2012 BBQ-Brethren Inc. All rights reserved. All Content and Flaming Pig Logo are registered and protected under U.S and International Copyright and Trademarks. Content Within this Website Is Property of BBQ Brethren Inc. Reproduction or alteration is strictly prohibited.