The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Food Handling General Discussion (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Group Discussion #5 Cutting boards (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17986)

bbqjoe 05-25-2006 10:49 AM

Group Discussion #5 Cutting boards

What is your preferred cutting board?
Why?
What else do you know about cutting boards?

kcquer 05-25-2006 11:23 AM

HDPE for raw and cooked meats (non-porous), wood for veggies and breads.

Arlin_MacRae 05-25-2006 12:15 PM

I've got a huge plastic one that allows me to prep a lot of meat at once, but my favorite is a small one made from Corian.

And I clean them after each use with Comet to kill the nasties.

cmcadams 05-25-2006 12:45 PM

I use wood. It's best on my knives and naturally inhibits bacteria growth, or so I'm told. I've also heard that the plastic boards, once scored, trap bacteria so that you can't really get them clean.

I use wood, but different boards for different types of foods.

BigDaddy 05-25-2006 02:15 PM

I second what Curt said, and I try to clean with diluted bleach after cutting raw meat.

BigDaddy

www.davidheffner.com

Dakaty 05-25-2006 02:37 PM

We have a nice set of Quisinart nylon/plastic cutting boards that now have a bunch of knife scoring marks in them, which I'm sure must trap bacteria and germs. I would think that wood would also absorb stuff.

I have seen the cutting board protective "sheets" that are disposable. Has anyone used these? I may give them a try, but as many times as I wash and reuse my cutting boards, they may be too expensive.

big brother smoke 05-25-2006 02:55 PM

I use color coded boards i.e. brown = cooked meats; red= raw;
yellow = raw poultry, etc. Bleach and soap to clean.

CharlieBeasley 05-25-2006 05:06 PM

I use wood and plastic but like the bamboo cutting board. I understand the wood does not carry the bacteria as badly as the plastic.

tigger 05-25-2006 05:47 PM

I use them all, wood, bamboo and plastic. I grab the one that whatever I'm cutting up doesn't hang off the edges. However, I have not succeeded in keeping all the diced onions on the board now matter how big it is.

Rockaway BeachBQ 05-25-2006 08:45 PM

I use wood exclusively. I have an 18"x24" maple wood John Boos Board that is on my Kitchen island at all times (so no one does something stupid like cut on the maple top of the Island). Then a selection of smaller boards, my favorite being a bamboo board from Shun.

The Maple Board had started to split at the ends during the winter, but those have closed up now (same with my Pizza peel). The bamboo board seems to need less maintenance. I probably oil my boards every 3 or 4 months as opposed to the 6 week reccomended intervals.

At my school and most restaraunts they use plastic or some sort of hard rubber, and your knife really digs in to those. I have seen slivers of the board come up from the tips of filet knifes when fabricating fish.

A good wood board can be sanded down when it wears out or starts to dish. Plastic are just garbage at that point.

Sledneck 05-25-2006 09:41 PM

I think i have a piece of butcher block left over from a job that is
2'-0" X 7-0" X 1 1/2" thick. If anybody round here wants a piece cut off of it let me know the size. Its brand new in the box

bbqjoe 05-25-2006 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sledneck
2'-0" X 7-0" X 1 1/2" thick. If anybody round here wants a piece cut off of it let me know the size. Its brand new in the box

Can you stuff that in an envolope and send it to me?
*looking around for stamps*

kcquer 05-25-2006 10:39 PM

Quote:

A good wood board can be sanded down when it wears out or starts to dish. Plastic are just garbage at that point.
That's what I like about HDPE, it sands to new condition just like wood without the porous, bacteria hiding quality of wood.

rbsnwngs 05-26-2006 03:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sledneck

hey if you lug 2x3 of that out to islip ill take it. or i can just caome and get

BobberQer 05-26-2006 04:30 AM

I'd be more than happy to take a piece off your hands.. thanks, Steve