The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Brethren Bashes (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   The 2020 Texas BBQ Brethren Spring Bash Planning (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=277653)

pjtexas1 03-14-2020 12:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lighter-Fluid (Post 4283129)
Unfortunately we've decided not to make the trip. Not out of concern for us personally, but with the uncertainty of the virus and it's possible impact on a 7 months pregnant DIL we're not willing to take the chance. Y'all have a great time, post lots of pics and let us know if Smitty comes in hot!

Keep everyone safe! I have a 4 month old granddaughter. We are being really careful.

I know some medical professionals that were saying last week that they had zero concerns. This week they are like our hospitals are at a 2. Next level is 3 and that includes mandatory body bags be stored all over the hospital. Not really sure what that means.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Sid Post 03-14-2020 06:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Happy Hapgood (Post 4282850)
Looks like your quarantined to Texas. I'm "breaking" quarantine 13 miles to the state line. :laugh: Come on Man!

Quote:

Originally Posted by ssv3 (Post 4283048)
$42 roundtrip and non stop. :mrgreen: i'm tempted since they cancelled two events that I was supposed to attend.

Personally, I think right after the BASH is a good time to travel as airfare will be dirt cheap and hotels will be empty and plentiful too. That dream trip for many is financially viable now but, fear is holding people back. You still need to use some common sense but, for many people is a reasonable thing to consider. An overabundance of caution has its own drawbacks too IMHO. :wink:

I look at it with the eyes and head of an engineer who has done my fair share of honest detailed data analysis and limited experience as a former entry-level EMT with a sister that teaches nursing. In terms of RELATIVE RISK, I'm personally more concerned about other things. Yes, Wuhan / Coronavirus is serious and unpleasant if you get it. It is unlikely to be fatal for most people (I don't consider myself elderly and, I'm not immuno-compromised either). I say this as someone who lived through Camphlobacter Jujuni with basically only electrolytes and some non-specific low-level antibiotics. I was extremely fit and lost ~40%~50% of my extremely lean muscle mass but, recovered fully after fighting the infection for two weeks with another two weeks to put on enough muscle mass to walk a flight of stairs again, which was a huge change from hiking with nearly a 100 pounds on my back!

Whether anyone feels the need to self-quarantine after the bash is a totally different topic! :laugh:

Sid Post 03-14-2020 06:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pjtexas1 (Post 4283288)
Keep everyone safe! I have a 4 month old granddaughter. We are being really careful.

Yes, plenty of caution around the young ones is important as they are more vulnerable than most of us to bad outcomes from Wuhan / Coronavirus.

Quote:

Originally Posted by pjtexas1 (Post 4283288)
I know some medical professionals that were saying last week that they had zero concerns. This week they are like our hospitals are at a 2. Next level is 3 and that includes mandatory body bags be stored all over the hospital. Not really sure what that means.

If you look at the number of people dying from this compared to flu, it is hard to understand the panic outside of small pockets of poor containment, especially in the USA. The bigger risk for the vast majority of medical facilities is the lack of support equipment to handle large patient loads.

On the flip side, just because you have a sore throat, running nose and, body aches does not mean you have an active case of Wuhan / Coronavirus. My sister has these symptoms and stayed home from work but, hasn't even bothered to go to her doctor. Is she a Wuhan spreader? Probably not as her exposure is most likely common FLU and unlike the person who coughed on her is staying home.

Hotch 03-14-2020 11:54 AM

https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/i...milies/mod.gif Just 6 DAYS till the 2020 Texas BBQ Brethren Spring Bash https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/i...milies/mod.gif

So grab your camp chairs, get your cooler out and get ready to have a great time at the Bash!!
I'll be there between 7:00 am 8:00 am to get my Shirley setup.
I'll bring the Cabo!
I hope the liquor store has more stock than the grocery stores do!
:mrgreen:

Hotch 03-15-2020 08:50 AM

Well if the rain will hold off the morning I'll fire up the Honda and bring Shirley around front to the garage to get ready for the Bash!
:mrgreen:

https://i.postimg.cc/rm5X5QNw/2017-09-05-005.jpg

Sid Post 03-15-2020 09:33 AM

Looking good so far!

Hotch 03-16-2020 09:05 AM

Well on the hunt this morning for a handful of items we need for our cooks at the Bash!
Will suit up at 09:30 and hit the road! :mrgreen:

ronbrad62 03-16-2020 10:55 AM

I am a strong possibility to attend. My wife is in total agreement for me to fly out and back. On a side note, she asked to review my life insurance policy. Hmmmmmm.
Seriously, she said she knows I would have a ball, so I will have a definite answer later today.

Hotch 03-16-2020 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ronbrad62 (Post 4284362)
I am a strong possibility to attend. My wife is in total agreement for me to fly out and back. On a side note, she asked to review my life insurance policy. Hmmmmmm.
Seriously, she said she knows I would have a ball, so I will have a definite answer later today.

I may need to bring an extra camp chair or two!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hotch 03-16-2020 01:37 PM

https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/i...milies/mod.gif Only 4 DAYS and 18 Hours till the 2020 Texas BBQ Brethren Spring Bash https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/i...milies/mod.gif

So let's do a quick roll call on who and with how many will be attending the Bash.
Please go to the sign up sheet link in my signature line today and bring it current!!

By doing this everyone will know:
Who and how many will be there.
How many cookers we will have to cook on.
What you are bringing and or going to be cooking.

How much stuff we need to cook.

Also if you would let us know if you can bring serving gloves, paper towels, solo cups, paper plates, forks, spoons and all the other stuff I may have missed.

The State is ramping up their cleaning of the restrooms (public spaces) at the parks but I would still bring some Lysol Disinfecting wipes and TP for trips to the restrooms.

Lastly, if you are or think you are sick please take care of yourself at home and we will see you next time.

I would like to see everybody have a great time and go home safe and in good health.

Thanks! :mrgreen:

Hotch 03-16-2020 01:49 PM

90% Successful this morning. Only major item left is the Cabo!! Going to get that later today hopefully.

Hotch 03-16-2020 03:37 PM

I'll be honest. I'm getting a lot of pushback from my family today.

I may have to make the call today or tomorrow on weather to postpone the Bash.

frognot 03-16-2020 04:09 PM

Being as I work in a large hospital in Dallas have decided not to attend. My primary area to work is low risk but am entering an environment where potential to exposure is higher than normal.

Y'all be safe out there!

ronbrad62 03-16-2020 04:41 PM

I just saw a story about the city of Dallas looking to implement restrictions and guidelines regarding the Coronavirus. Trump wants everyone to restrict gatherings to 10 or less. :doh:

Hotch 03-16-2020 04:42 PM

Well guys I'm gonna call it and postpone the 2020 Texas BBQ Brethren Spring Bash.

I've asked a few people I trust and knowledgeable somewhat about things like this.
I believe it would be prudent to just postpone it for later this Spring.
If it was just me I would be there but it's not.
It's all of us and I would hate to have one of us take ill with the virus when attending the Bash and possibly pass it on to their family at home.

Please call, text or email the other guys in case they don't see this post.

I hope you understand.