The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Ugly Drum Smoker (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23436)

Weiser 04-24-2009 10:21 PM

Hello....
The numbers stamped on the side of the drum, you Drummy!.
What are they?
A recent post within this thread, asserts that these numbers
are DOT numbers, and actually can tell you many things about the origins of the drum.

Help out your Brother's here and either take a good photo or just
post the stamping.

Weiser
PS: Please, don't make me come up there, I'll drink all of your beer! :mrgreen:

Quote:

Originally Posted by jtwisted13 (Post 910590)
all i know is it was a remanufactured drum...there was still cooking grease in it...lol

jtwisted13 04-24-2009 10:37 PM

i will post the codes tomorrow when i can read them..lol

but DOT numbers are different in canada than in usa???

Quote:

Originally Posted by Weiser (Post 910595)
Hello....
The numbers stamped on the side of the drum, you Drummy!.
What are they?
A recent post within this thread, asserts that these numbers
are DOT numbers, and actually can tell you many things about the origins of the drum.

Help out your Brother's here and either take a good photo or just
post the stamping.

Weiser
PS: Please, don't make me come up there, I'll drink all of your beer! :mrgreen:

masiewiz 04-24-2009 11:21 PM

Seasoning question.

OK Brothers in smoke,

I'm going to season my second UDS and I have 2 questions for the group.
1. Why do I need to season, what does seasoning actually accomplish?
2. Can I use shortening instead of peanut oil? I may be cooking for church and I'm concerned about allergies.

Alright one more question, any Idaho people here?

Masiewiz

Dr_KY 04-25-2009 12:31 AM

Use lard.

Thawley 04-25-2009 12:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by masiewiz (Post 910621)
1. Why do I need to season, what does seasoning actually accomplish?

Keeps it from rusting.

Quote:

2. Can I use shortening instead of peanut oil? I may be cooking for church...
It has to be blessed first.

dbeast420 04-25-2009 05:46 PM

I've got what appears to be the same #'s stamped in the side of my drum.

Here they are......

N1 A2/Y1.5/100/9

I'm curious to know what they mean too.

garyk1398 04-25-2009 06:58 PM

Thanks again fellas

3 Attachment(s)
Did my first cook on the UDS today (7.5 lb flat) Stated with the basket about 2/3 full with a combo of Kingsford Comp. charcoal, cowboy lump, cherry and pecan wood. With the ball valve wide open, it maintained a temp of 225*, with a cap opened it went to 275*. At the 7 hr mark, the probe slid in and out like butta with the internal temp reading 205*. Foiled and rested for 30 minutes and then sliced! Came out great very tender and moist. By the way cooked it with the fat cap up.

At the 12 hr mark I saw that the charcoal was still hot and decided to open all intakes to see how high she'd go. At 350* I closed it up to save whatever charcoal was left. I gotta image that it coulda went for another 3 hrs or so:shock:

Wondering why the smoke ring was so thin?

seattlepitboss 04-25-2009 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dbeast420 (Post 910966)
I've got what appears to be the same #'s stamped in the side of my drum.

Here they are......

N1 A2/Y1.5/100/9

I'm curious to know what they mean too.

N = UN specification (should say UN according to my sources)
1 = drum
A = steel (H would mean plastic, G for fiber)
2 = open head (1 would mean tight head or closed drum)
Y = Suitable for packing group II or III products (X would be I,II,III; Z would be only III)
1.5/100 = liquids up to a specific gravity of 1.5, drum must withstand pressure of 100 kPa
If the drum were made for transporting solids this part would be a number (kilograms) followed by /S
9 = should indicate year of manufacture, in this case probably 2009
any fields beyond this would indicate country of origin, manufacturer, etc.

I think drums with "100" are 20 gauge, drums with "150" are 18 gauge and drums with "175" or "200" are 16 gauge.

I don't know what "packing group" means, and the actual spec is proprietary.

seattlepitboss

bbqdude 04-26-2009 10:48 AM

My new smoker and the first cook...

3 Attachment(s)
I like to keep it simple.. For my first cook I bought some Tri Tip roasts from Costco, Turned out very good, even while cooking in the rain. Smoked them for 4 hours at around 220...

hosshess 04-27-2009 12:43 AM

Question from a FNG. I found a cache of about 50 drums of which i can have as many as I can haul away. Question is... they had water blown insulation in them. Safe to use? Thanks and i am looking forward to my first build.

chinesebob 04-27-2009 11:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smokin' D (Post 909980)
How heavy is the lid on that 85 gallon bad boy, Bob?

Sorry for the delay in the answer but with that valve on there pretty dang heavy. otherwise not to bad. I'm going to bolt on some handles this week and find an alternative to that valve. Maybe look for a weber that would fit or something like that.

Cooked 2 shoulders, and 2 slabs on one level inside the drum. Burned 1/2 bag of charcoal for 18 straight hours with 4 chunks of wood.

Phubar 04-28-2009 06:15 AM

Hey guys,

Thought I keep you guys posted with some pics.
As some of you know I recently bought 2 barrels with closed lids.
I don't know if I can find some loose lids but yesterday I found an Weber 57 cm./22.5 inch on internet for 20,00 (euro's).
It is allready mine I just have to pick it up and it's only a 30. min. drive.

JTank70 04-28-2009 07:46 AM

Thats great phubar. congrats.

I have my eyes peeled for one or two of those in my area.

Phubar 04-28-2009 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JTank70 (Post 912682)
Thats great phubar. congrats.

I have my eyes peeled for one or two of those in my area.

Thanks!
I hope you'll find em too!
I found mine on Marktplaats.nl (sort of E-Bay,think it's been bought by E-Bay now),don't know if i'm violating the rules of this forum by naming these websites but if so let me know.:wink:

JTank70 04-28-2009 11:24 AM

The one thing that seems to differ most about UDS's is the Charcoal baskets.
I have a few Q's on this.

In your experience, is taller & less diameter better or shorter and more diameter?

Is 7 3/4" deep enough for a charcoal basket?

I have a piece of 3/4 expanded metal grating that is 24" x 31".

I can cut it into four 7.75" by 24" pieces and have enough for two baskets 15" in diameter.

I would like to try to get at least 2 baskets out of what I have, but how would you do it?

Thanks

JTank70 04-28-2009 05:57 PM

BBQDude..........Lookin good Brother!

I hope my first cook comes out as nice. I have never smoked meat before.

I like your UDS too...Top shelf all the way around. Nice post.

akarpf 04-28-2009 06:22 PM

Hey guys I have a question, do I need to paint the inside of the drum? And I have a little bit of the liner in the bottom of the drum. Is it ok to cook in it or do I need to try to get it out before I start cooking in it?

JTank70 04-28-2009 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by akarpf (Post 913135)
Hey guys I have a question, do I need to paint the inside of the drum? And I have a little bit of the liner in the bottom of the drum. Is it ok to cook in it or do I need to try to get it out before I start cooking in it?

Not sure about the remaining liner, but I would want it out of there if it was me.

Do not paint the inside of the drum. Burning paint and food are not a good combo.

From what I have read, you are supposed to get the inside to bare metal. Then Wipe the inside with crisco and fire it up with coals in the basket and all vents open for a couple hours. This will "season" the inside of the drum and make it very rust resistant.

Post some pics of your build. We all love pics.

JT

craig chamberlain 04-29-2009 06:08 AM

Can you tell me if this place has a web site?
thanks,
Craig
22" Replacement grate from Academy - $5.99

jtwisted13 04-29-2009 06:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by craig chamberlain (Post 913368)
Can you tell me if this place has a web site?
thanks,
Craig
22" Replacement grate from Academy - $5.99

http://www.academy.com/index.php

craig chamberlain 04-29-2009 07:37 AM

Thanks Jeff for the link, I guess I'm going blind because I still can't find a "22" Replacement grate from Academy - $5.99"
Craig

craig chamberlain 04-29-2009 07:44 AM

Jeff, I looked a little closer at the web site and they don't offer online shopping so that link won't do me any good but thanks anyway.

jtwisted13 04-29-2009 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by craig chamberlain (Post 913418)
Jeff, I looked a little closer at the web site and they don't offer online shopping so that link won't do me any good but thanks anyway.

you might have to go to mountain grove... of course you know there is an ace and browns hardware..

or you may have to either build the racks yourself or get someone to build them for you.. thats what i have to do as i cant find the replacement racks here either. our home depot doesnt carry them nor does any place else without paying $40 because it is special order.

seattlepitboss 04-29-2009 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JTank70 (Post 912842)
The one thing that seems to differ most about UDS's is the Charcoal baskets.
I have a few Q's on this.

In your experience, is taller & less diameter better or shorter and more diameter?

Is 7 3/4" deep enough for a charcoal basket?

I have a piece of 3/4 expanded metal grating that is 24" x 31".

I can cut it into four 7.75" by 24" pieces and have enough for two baskets 15" in diameter.

I would like to try to get at least 2 baskets out of what I have, but how would you do it?

Thanks

Well, baskets work a lot better if they have a bottom. If you butt-joined your 4 7.75x24" strips pairwise you would get two 7.75" x 48" strips from which you could roll two 7.75x15-1/4" rings, but that doesn't get you basket bottoms.

I know it's obvious, but it had to be said .. :-)

seattlepitboss

Barbarian 04-29-2009 10:56 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hey Jtank,
you can use the charcoal grate from a Weber or buy one for a Weber at HD. Then do this. Mine is 8" tall and the grate is 3" above the bottom. Holds plenty of charcoal.

craig chamberlain 04-29-2009 11:55 AM

Yea Jeff I'm only about 25 miles from Mountain Grove and I've been to Ace hardware, but I'm trying to find some for under $15.
I'm kind of cheap, if I have to pay that much so be it, but I'm just seeing if I can get a better deal.
I'm thinking about making some UBS's and selling them and I wanted to get the lowest price I can so I don't have to charge so much when I go to sell them.
If I can't get a better deal then I'll get them and just pass the cost on when and if I sell any of them.

garyk1398 04-29-2009 12:28 PM

I noticed a small pool of water in the inside of the drum today, guessing left over condensation from the last smoke. Anyone ever consider putting a plug in the bottom (keep this clean), later draining out water (to save it from rusting)?

gbh52 04-29-2009 02:24 PM

Just about have all the component ready to go for my first build. Pick up the drum on Friday hope to have it done but EOD Sunday. So far my total cost is $0.00! Freebies and stuff laying around and a gift cert for the thermo. Looks like I have to spend a few bucks to cut the 1" intake holes. Question for the brothers, do the hole saws do a decent job, or should I spend the bucks for a step drill? Does this offically count on the cost of the smoker?

jazzspot 04-29-2009 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gbh52 (Post 913687)
Question for the brothers, do the hole saws do a decent job, or should I spend the bucks for a step drill?

If you have a Harbor Freight near you, the step drill bits are cheaper there than anywhere else I've found.

JTank70 04-29-2009 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barbarian (Post 913546)
Hey Jtank,
you can use the charcoal grate from a Weber or buy one for a Weber at HD. Then do this. Mine is 8" tall and the grate is 3" above the bottom. Holds plenty of charcoal.

Thanks guys, I was intending to use a webber coal grate but forgot to mention that small, impotant bit of info:oops:

Barbarian, Is the overall height of the complete assembly in your pic 8" tall or is just the expanded metal part 8" tall. Also what is the diameter. Thanks bro

sbramm 04-29-2009 03:31 PM

hey, has anyone thought of or ever used a smokey joe for the charcoal "basket" in a uds? it may work for shorter cooks that don't require a huge amount of charcoal. any thoughts? i may just spend the $20 and give it a try unless there is a compelling reason that this would be a mistake....

cheers,

scott

sfbbqguy 04-29-2009 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sbramm (Post 913764)
hey, has anyone thought of or ever used a smokey joe for the charcoal "basket" in a uds? it may work for shorter cooks that don't require a huge amount of charcoal. any thoughts? i may just spend the $20 and give it a try unless there is a compelling reason that this would be a mistake....

cheers,

scott

Sounds like it might work but may not get enough air...not sure.

Some guys make a smaller ring out of expaned metal that fits into the bigger charcoal basket for shorter cooks.

sfbbqguy 04-29-2009 03:53 PM

Oh yeah and as we approach 3000 here look out for extraneous postings from guys that live in Pacific Northwest!!
Although it's typically great info.

craig chamberlain 04-29-2009 05:41 PM

Paint

I'm sure this question has been asked before but I don't have the time to read all the posts tonight.
I have someone in a body shop who is willing to give me some 55 gal. drums free that had car paint in them, my question is can I burn out the paint and will it be safe enough for smoking?
If I want the drums I have to get them tomorrow morning, the price is right but it's a matter of is it safe.
I'm thinking it is but would like to hear from someone who knows more about it.
thanks

Weiser 04-29-2009 09:36 PM

Go For It!

Craig, I'd jump on those faster than I would the so called "food grade" drums.
Much easier to burn out and remember, anything above 250°
for an extended period of time will kill any residue left.

Others will disagree...

Weiser

Quote:

Originally Posted by craig chamberlain (Post 913828)
I'm sure this question has been asked before but I don't have the time to read all the posts tonight.
I have someone in a body shop who is willing to give me some 55 gal. drums free that had car paint in them, my question is can I burn out the paint and will it be safe enough for smoking?
If I want the drums I have to get them tomorrow morning, the price is right but it's a matter of is it safe.
I'm thinking it is but would like to hear from someone who knows more about it.
thanks

Meat Burner 04-29-2009 10:32 PM

Bros, lots of good designs for the fire baskets have been posted. The 24 inch clearance is from the bottom of the fire basket to the bottom of the grate. However you build the basket...still measure the bottom of the fire basket. Just my understanding of the UDS build and knowing that works.

masiewiz 04-29-2009 11:02 PM

Step drill

Quote:

Originally Posted by jazzspot (Post 913729)
If you have a Harbor Freight near you, the step drill bits are cheaper there than anywhere else I've found.

Yeh, they do get the job done and mine was $14 at Harbor, but they don't make very clean holes compared to the nice $44 step bit at HD. I have the nice one, but it doesn't go to 1'', but it cuts super clean and like butter. But the Harbor freight bit will get er done, but you might need to file out the burrs.

Masiewiz

Digi 04-30-2009 08:40 AM

Brand new drum: $35
Weber Gold CL score: $20
Ball valve & nipples: $15
All other parts: $0 <--- The benefits of a friend with a shop. :biggrin:
Fully assembled UDS: Priceless

The "Binford UDS 1000" is 99% complete. Enough to smoke on anyways... :D

Weber lid was not an easy fit. Had to hammer out the lip and then reshape it on the drum... Fits great now! LOL! Need another rack and eventually will get a turkey fryer thermo, but for now I'll just use the digital stuff. Plan on building a "vest" (UDS version of a BGE's "nest"). The charcoal basket (looks HUGE btw... LOL) needs to be wired to the grate, but that will be done this weekend. Other than that... here she is:

http://img512.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=pic0172.jpg

ytsejam 04-30-2009 10:32 AM

So i started my usd in the fall. i got the barrel, burned it, wire brushed it, took it to the car wash, rubbed it down with manteca, and drilled 3 intake holes. then found a cheep 22.5 inch weberlike grill at walmart on clearance for 20 bucks. This was all in sept/oct. it has been sitting in the back yard unfinished since.
so yesterday i decided to get back after it. suprisingly there was very little rust in the inside of the barrel. the outside is rusted pretty good.

I am a cheapguy, so i decided to try to use the weberlike bottom for my charcoal pan. I cut it with tin snips, so it will fit inside the drum. i drilled about 10 or so 7/8 inch holes in it, and a whole bunch of 1/4 inch holes. then i mounted it to a round cookie sheet/pizza pan thingy(to catch the ashes). Right now it sits about 3.5 inches above the bottom of the drum. but it is mounted with all thread, so i could lower it or raise it if need be.
I had it all planned out 7 months ago, but i can't remember how high i should mount the grill above the fire basket.
I remember it was pretty close to the top, but having trouble remembering if there was general consensus as to how far up from the charcoal it should be.
So how far should i be up?

Once i mount this grill, it will be ready to go, except for a paint job :)

Digi 04-30-2009 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ytsejam (Post 914214)
So i started my usd in the fall. i got the barrel, burned it, wire brushed it, took it to the car wash, rubbed it down with manteca, and drilled 3 intake holes. then found a cheep 22.5 inch weberlike grill at walmart on clearance for 20 bucks. This was all in sept/oct. it has been sitting in the back yard unfinished since.
so yesterday i decided to get back after it. suprisingly there was very little rust in the inside of the barrel. the outside is rusted pretty good.

I am a cheapguy, so i decided to try to use the weberlike bottom for my charcoal pan. I cut it with tin snips, so it will fit inside the drum. i drilled about 10 or so 7/8 inch holes in it, and a whole bunch of 1/4 inch holes. then i mounted it to a round cookie sheet/pizza pan thingy(to catch the ashes). Right now it sits about 3.5 inches above the bottom of the drum. but it is mounted with all thread, so i could lower it or raise it if need be.
I had it all planned out 7 months ago, but i can't remember how high i should mount the grill above the fire basket.
I remember it was pretty close to the top, but having trouble remembering if there was general consensus as to how far up from the charcoal it should be.
So how far should i be up?

Once i mount this grill, it will be ready to go, except for a paint job :)

24" from the bottom of the charcoal basket. so in ur case 27.5" from the bottom of the barrel. :biggrin:

ytsejam 04-30-2009 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Digi (Post 914233)
24" from the bottom of the charcoal basket. so in ur case 27.5" from the bottom of the barrel. :biggrin:

thanks.
i just noticed, someone else wrote that at the top of this page:roll:

i should have read:-D

im gonna go get after it. i took some pics when i started, hopefully my wife didn't delete them yet :oops:

Digi 04-30-2009 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Digi (Post 914163)
Brand new drum: $35
Weber Gold CL score: $20
Ball valve & nipples: $15
All other parts: $0 <--- The benefits of a friend with a shop. :biggrin:
Fully assembled UDS: Priceless

The "Binford UDS 1000" is 99% complete. Enough to smoke on anyways... :D

Weber lid was not an easy fit. Had to hammer out the lip and then reshape it on the drum... Fits great now! LOL! Need another rack and eventually will get a turkey fryer thermo, but for now I'll just use the digital stuff. Plan on building a "vest" (UDS version of a BGE's "nest"). The charcoal basket (looks HUGE btw... LOL) needs to be wired to the grate, but that will be done this weekend. Other than that... here she is:

http://img512.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=pic0172.jpg

On top of all this... Mom just showed up and handed me 2 grocery bags and says... "here... i brought your new DDS (couldn't remember UDS) a birthday present."... inside was a 10 lb picnic and 2 chickens, and then handed me the keys and told me to grab the bag of charcoal out of the trunk... LMAO! I LOVE MY MOMMA!

Barbarian 04-30-2009 04:39 PM

Hey JTank, the charcoal basket is 8" tall and the grate is wired on 3" above the bottom of the basket. I have never had to fill all 5" for a cook. The diameter is the size of the Weber charcoal grate.

pinghacker 04-30-2009 06:53 PM

Hey Digi, Where did you find a new drum for $35?

masiewiz 04-30-2009 08:03 PM

New paint

do you all think normal spray paint can take the heat? I never go above 275 and I hate the engine block paint colors. Does anyone use rustoleum paint? 8)

Weiser 04-30-2009 08:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I used good ol' Krylon primer and paint on the last one.
Had it up to 400° last weekend without any problems.

This thing has about two dozen cooks to it's credit.

Weiser

Quote:

Originally Posted by masiewiz (Post 914576)
do you all think normal spray paint can take the heat? I never go above 275 and I hate the engine block paint colors. Does anyone use rustoleum paint? 8)

hosshess 04-30-2009 08:52 PM

help please

Quote:

Originally Posted by hosshess (Post 911788)
Question from a FNG. I found a cache of about 50 drums of which i can have as many as I can haul away. Question is... they had water blown insulation in them. Safe to use? Thanks and i am looking forward to my first build.

anyone got any ideas about this stuff? Is heat the answer? Thanks for all help.

JTank70 04-30-2009 09:00 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Barbarian (Post 914460)
Hey JTank, the charcoal basket is 8" tall and the grate is wired on 3" above the bottom of the basket. I have never had to fill all 5" for a cook. The diameter is the size of the Weber charcoal grate.

Barbarian, thank you. I can make two of those out of my hunk of expanded metal then(planning ahead for UDS # 2).

That is good news. Mine will be 1/4" shorter (7 3/4") than yours is but I am sure it will be fine. The charcoal grate is the only part of the puzzle I am missing at this point. I am going to go get it tomorrow night.

I started out having trouble finding a barrel and now I have Five of them.
The first one (not in photo)was a freebie from my boss but I was a little unsure about it because it smelled a tiny bit like fuel oil.

The next two (yellow and blue in pic) I got off Craig list for $25 with extra lids. They are food grad and had mango and cranberry puree’ sp. In them. The blue one has the red liner in it and it seems to be thick and tough. The yellow one is a much lighter barrel but it has a tan liner that looks like it would be easily burned out. Because of this I think the yellow one is going to be my best bet. Even though My favorite barrel is the blue one because it is a nice heavy drum.

The last two (black ones in pic) were free and had a water boune non toxic biodegradable coating (paint) in them. The paint was actually in a heavy duty bag inside the barrel too. These two have a orange liner but it does not look as thick or tough as the liner in the blue barrel.

The two black ones came with the interesting lids with two 2” bungs. One right in the center of the lids.

This past week has been extremely high fire danger in my area. It is going to rain all day tomorrow and part of Saturday so I hope I can do some drum burning this weekend.

Thanks to everyone for all your help thus far.
I will update with more pics As I go.

JTank70 04-30-2009 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Weiser (Post 914586)
I used good ol' Krylon primer and paint on the last one.
Had it up to 400° last weekend without any problems.

This thing has about two dozen cooks to it's credit.

Weiser

That thing is Smokin' Even when it is not smoking. Is that a vinyl decal?

Weiser 04-30-2009 09:19 PM

Oh Crap!!!

I posted the wrong photo!
I'm in trouble now. :icon_smil

Actually it is one of those flexible magnet things.
Like the ones that are attached to every new phone book you get,
only bigger.
This looks horrible up close, I thought I was purchasing a neat piece of airbrushed nose art.

Weiser

Quote:

Originally Posted by JTank70 (Post 914614)
That thing is Smokin' Even when it is not smoking. Is that a vinyl decal?