• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

1st Bid for Catering Gig

T

T.K.

I will be submitting pricing for my first catering gig and have read quite a few posts on here but I can't recall seeing anything about corn on the cob. How can it be kept warm without looking nasty from srivaling up? I don't think I spelled it right but you get the point.

Also, the client is asking for 3 meats, chicken, pork, & ribs. I was going to plan for 1/4 chicken, 4 oz. of pork, & 2 ribs per person. Do you think it will be too much? It's a casual wedding of close friends.

Any help is appreciated.

Are you smoking corn in the husk or are you boiling corn on cobb or even cobbettes?
If you have 3 meats I would cook 1/2 chickens, then cut each half into 4 pieces. I have found that with 3 meats 1/8 chicken is plenty per person. Ribs will be the most popular meat by far--might figure 3 ribs per person.

This is how I would do it: YMMV

http://www.simplymarvelousbbq.com/index.php?pg=menu

$19.99 and throw in a salad or baked beans.

Chix 1/4 only works for one meat IMHO or big construction worker types. Three meat equal a boneless thigh or breast, 1/4 pp, and 2 bones (ribs) pp.

People ask me, why I charge the same for boneless and bone in chix. Simple, it costs me more in cooks wages to do bone in chix as we can do 3 times the amount of boneless in an hour than bone in. Meat is cheaper than wages by the hour. Additionally, brides and grooms usually prefer boneless anyway and I push it that way.

Did the client ask for corn on the cob or did you suggest it? Might be a bit messy for folks in their good clothes.

I guess the same thing could be said for ribs but the client asked for it. Perhaps you could suggest some type of beef (tri-tip, brisket, etc.) in place of the ribs so you could have beef, pork and chicken.

Thanks everyone. The client is asking for corn on the cob and I was thinking of boiling it onsite like forzen cobblets but then again then will be my first one so I appreciate the feedback and tips.

Thanks

Don't show up @ a wedding with frozen corn. If u can't do fresh don't offer it.

^^^WHat he said!

Frozen corn sucks!

You grill whole ears and cut into cobblets. YMMV

Corn on the cob, ribs, or kabobs are all best to avoid at a wedding reception - Messy food + cocktails = Ruined clothes and sometimes unhappy guests

I would soak the whole corn cob including the husks in water for an hour and then toss in the smoker until done, pull husks and chop into smaller cobbetts to serve with lime and butter.

If you do not have room in your smoker for both the meat and the corn, then you might be forced into boiling corn. Frozen cobbettes come 96 pieces to the case and cost about 10 cents per serving. Frozen cobbettes can be improved by dumping a gallon of whole milk and 2 pounds of sugar into the boiling water. It is not as good as fresh but will be an improvement over just boiling in water.

To answer questions, this menu was established by the clients but I will try to offer alternatives but I will take the advice of no frozen corn but I may have to boil it but I would do it in the husk but it depends on the smoker room.

Thanks for all the advice.

I was in the same boat. Had a customer that demanded corn on the cob. Corn was not in season so I was forced to buy frozen cobblets. I wrapped each ear in the baked potato aluminum foil wraps that you can buy and added butter and sugar to each. Put the foiled ears on the smoker just to get them heated through and pulled them. They turned out marvelous. However it was alot of prep time.

Back