The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Ugly Drum Smoker (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23436)

Dr_KY 03-25-2008 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark (Post 597506)
KY:

I believe Norco made the first upside-down UDS. I have a short inner barrel in mine. It's easy to lift out and it doubles as a table top grill.

I NEED to see that man!!:razz:

Mark 03-25-2008 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr_KY (Post 597568)
I NEED to see that man!!:razz:

See:

Dr_KY 03-25-2008 03:10 PM

Looks like the perfect size for what I need.

CarrsvilleSmoker 03-27-2008 10:18 AM

I have decided to go with using 4- 3/4 x 5 inch pipe nipples. What size hole would I need to drill for these? I thought I remembered seeing somewhere on here that I would need 1 inch holes for these. Thanks.

Kenny 13 03-27-2008 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CarrsvilleSmoker (Post 599110)
I have decided to go with using 4- 3/4 x 5 inch pipe nipples. What size hole would I need to drill for these? I thought I remembered seeing somewhere on here that I would need 1 inch holes for these. Thanks.

I believe 1" is correct. If you're using a step bit you can always drill it to a size that's close than try a nipple to see if it fits, then go from there if you need to make it a little bigger.

Dr_KY 03-27-2008 10:34 AM

That's correct.

Dr_KY 03-28-2008 12:44 PM

So... you CAN have too mich pipe?!
lol

http://i27.tinypic.com/2n8d2dl.jpg

Browser 03-28-2008 01:02 PM

Just 'cos you've got a long pipe you thingk we all want to see it?!?!?!:eek::-D

Dr_KY 03-28-2008 01:29 PM

.. and ya like my BV too! lol

Browser 03-28-2008 01:30 PM

Ahhhh, but there's a galvanised fittign between the BV and the lid!!!!!!!

HERETIC!!! BURN HIM AT THE STAAAAAAAAKEE!!!!:-D

chinesebob 03-28-2008 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kenny 13 (Post 599120)
I believe 1" is correct. If you're using a step bit you can always drill it to a size that's close than try a nipple to see if it fits, then go from there if you need to make it a little bigger.

Drill to 7/8th first. But Kenny is probably right. Step bit is the only way to go.

Dr_KY 03-28-2008 02:19 PM

It's just for show.lol

The rain & winds over here are very strong at the moment and i'm having a bit of trouble keeping the temps up. I'll try ramping them up with opening the valve all the way. Ant other suggestions?

Kenny 13 03-28-2008 09:13 PM

OK, I'm trying my second trial run on my UDS to see if I got all the bugs worked out. It appears that the culprit causing my temps to drop and not go back up was the charcoal basket sitting directly on the terra cotta ashpan. Air was not able to get to the charcoal from below at all, so when the stuff on top burned and started to form a little ash the stuff on the bottom was unable to ignite. There were probably 18 - 20 unburned briquettes underneath the burned.

Got rid of the ashpan all together and raised the charcoal basket about 3/4" to make sure I'm getting good airflow. Now I only have 23-3/4" clearance between the charcoal grate & bottom cooking grate, which should be fine.

Anyway, I put another 9# bag of briquettes in the basket and poured 1/2 chimney of lit coals into the cavity in the middle. Took 3 minutes to get up to 225* and it's now coasting at 229* for about 15 minutes with one 1/2" inlet completely open and the 1/2" ball valve cracked open about 1/3 of the way.

h20loo 03-28-2008 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr_KY (Post 600373)
It's just for show.lol

The rain & winds over here are very strong at the moment and i'm having a bit of trouble keeping the temps up. I'll try ramping them up with opening the valve all the way. Ant other suggestions?

Just put a piece of cardboard over the lid and watch the temp climb.

Barbarian 03-28-2008 10:07 PM

This ashpan may help. My UDS is now upside down, I cut the bottom out so that I could get to the ashes for easy cleanup. I used the lid from a donor and made a ashpan. I cut is about 1.5" smaller then the drum so the drum would be easy to lift over the charcoal basket and ashpan and set on the stand. After several cooks I think I am having a little trouble controlling the temps due I think to some air intake where the drum meets the stand. Nothing major, but I am going to weld two rings to the stand for the drum to fit into. I will put stove gasket between the rings so that it should be pretty airtight around the bottom of the drum allowing me more control with the intakes.

Just a curious question for Carrsvillesmoker, why 5" nipples?

And step bits are the way to go. They are so much better then reguluar bits I cannot describe the difference. After being in on 6 builds I would never go back to regular drill bits on a UDS or UDG.