The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Ugly Drum Smoker (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23436)

BobF 08-06-2008 05:29 PM

I used an Oil drum. I think you are ok if you burn it out good.
There are many products you eat now that have a base made from oil.

Dr_KY 08-06-2008 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobF (Post 705342)
I used an Oil drum. I think you are ok if you burn it out good.
There are many products you eat now that have a base made from oil.

True but that would depend on the oil found in the drum. If it's not food grade I wouldn't touch it.

Norcoredneck 08-07-2008 07:38 AM

Dr KY, I got a source for occasional drum. Right up tour alley. Contained K-Lube!:biggrin:. Mineral oil.
http://www.malletoil.com/pdf/MSDS_K_Lube.pdf

kitch 08-14-2008 06:15 PM

This Thread is like War & Peace but way better.

I've started the build today...but only got about 20 mins into the project. I will need more disks to finish up my cutting in.
So far I've cut half way around the top.

Retread 08-14-2008 08:34 PM

Has anyone insulated a UDS?

Bbq Bubba 08-14-2008 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Retread (Post 712238)

As efficient as they are, do you think it would make a difference?

Retread 08-14-2008 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bbq Bubba (Post 712258)
As efficient as they are, do you think it would make a difference?

wouldn't it be cool to say you did an all night burn on 10 coals and a chunk!:smile:

Rookie'48 08-14-2008 09:40 PM

I think that one of the Brothers from Canada has done the insulation bit by using some kind of blanket to wrap it with. I can't remember who it was, though (old fart mod).

Bbq Bubba 08-14-2008 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Retread (Post 712268)
wouldn't it be cool to say you did an all night burn on 10 coals and a chunk!:smile:

LOL, no chit!
And never have to touch the thing! :cool:

N8man 08-14-2008 10:00 PM

I have read somewhere about a Cooker made out of a 55 gal. Steel Drum being lined internally with concrete. I'll try to find that reference.

StayDown 08-15-2008 07:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Retread (Post 712238)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Retread (Post 712268)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rookie'48 (Post 712282)
I think that one of the Brothers from Canada has done the insulation bit by using some kind of blanket to wrap it with. I can't remember who it was, though (old fart mod).

I am thinking that yuo could take a 55 gal. Drum, weld stand offs to it, all around the diameter. Then take a piece of 16 gauge sheetmetal and wrap it around attaching it to the welded stand offs...that gives you space between the drum and the metal that you could line with insulation of some sort.

Just an idea that popped into my head while reading this.

Of course one side of the stand off would have to be drillled and tapped as a blind hole to use some flat head socket head screws to attach the outer skin. :mrgreen:

h20loo 08-15-2008 07:34 AM

This is my winter barrel- Its coat comes from Homedepot!!!! This winter I was cooking with snow half way up the barrel. In one cook the sleet and wind were really bad so I put a big sheet of cardboard orer the barrel. My cook had been going along at 210 and with the cardboard it moved up to 260 within 10 minutes. So I cut this out to cover the top and wrapped the sides also. This has been fine up to 300 degrees but I haven't tried it in the heat of the summer. I get alot of grief for being a redneck cooking in a barrel but this mod seemed to be over the top for anyone who saw it. BTW the 1 and 1/2" intake worked beauty even in the coldest winter night.
http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/i...0loo/004-1.jpg

Retread 08-15-2008 08:00 AM

StayDown I like your idea but I'm thinking simple.

H2Oloo, I was thinking something very similar to what you have there only on the inside. I have some 3/8's fiberglass, foil backed 1500* blanket firewall insulation that I am thinking of cutting a piece out of to line inside of the barrel then adding a similar size sheet of 24 gauge sheet steel, just coil the sheet steel enough to slide it inside the barrel and let'er go. I'd cut a notch for the intake before install and drill for the grate standoffs and be done with it....

I'm guessing but I think 24 gauge would be thin enough to conform to the inside of the barrel by it's self, the whole deal wouldn't take up more than 1/4 inch when it's all said and done so the racks should work without issue.

StayDown 08-15-2008 08:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Retread (Post 712388)
StayDown I like your idea but I'm thinking simple.

H2Oloo, I was thinking something very similar to what you have there only on the inside. I have some 3/8's fiberglass, foil backed 1500* blanket firewall insulation that I am thinking of cutting a piece out of to line inside of the barrel then adding a similar size sheet of 24 gauge sheet steel, just coil the sheet steel enough to slide it inside the barrel and let'er go. I'd cut a notch for the intake before install and drill for the grate standoffs and be done with it....

I'm guessing but I think 24 gauge would be thin enough to conform to the inside of the barrel by it's self, the whole deal wouldn't take up more than 1/4 inch when it's all said and done so the racks should work without issue.

Being a machinist, I thought that was simple! :mrgreen:

Retread 08-15-2008 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StayDown (Post 712391)
Being a machinist, I thought that was simple! :mrgreen:

ha, LOL.... simple is a matter of perspective, isn't it