The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Ugly Drum Smoker (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23436)

HB-BBQ 09-03-2008 09:21 PM

Good thing Pat has a hat on to protect him :biggrin:

BTW I experienced my first Rancher swirling ash syndrome this past weekend in the UDS. I have finally seen the light brothers....

Meat Burner 09-06-2008 11:45 AM

Hey Doc, what was your final opinion on the heat deflector in the mini?

Dr_KY 09-06-2008 02:04 PM

Ya know I like it and I think it may be of some use. It would appear to keep the temps a bit more even through the cook yet it keeps the heat right under the product so having a fat cap is a god thing. It works well as half Pint is short but I don't know what the deal would be with a fuss sized UDS.

I will continue to use it untill things go wrong.

Meat Burner 09-06-2008 02:39 PM

For a fast cook on a butt or brisket, it looks like a lot of potential. The only quick cook but I did was a 5 pounder in a little under 5 hours on the UDS. Cooler for about an hour, and oh man was it good. Seems like the deflector might work out for that type of cook in the small barrel. Thanks for the info Doc.

Dr_KY 09-06-2008 03:48 PM

No problem I'll keep using it and let you know if anything changes.

web-pilot 09-09-2008 01:59 PM

How does one get the grease out of the bottom of the UDS? I have an ash pan below the charcoal basket, but it has holes in it and some of the drippings from the 6 butts ended up on the bottom of the drum. It was still liquid the next day so I put a bunch of paper towels down there. There was a lot from the 6 butts.

BTW, Butts were excellent. I know it did not happen because I don't have any pics.

Thanks,
George

ipls3355 09-09-2008 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by web-pilot (Post 733976)
How does one get the grease out of the bottom of the UDS?

Garden Hoe

Mark 09-09-2008 02:06 PM

I got a "inner drum" that I lift out

Dr_KY 09-09-2008 02:19 PM

Employ a small child.

HoosierTrooper 09-09-2008 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by web-pilot (Post 733976)
How does one get the grease out of the bottom of the UDS? I have an ash pan below the charcoal basket, but it has holes in it and some of the drippings from the 6 butts ended up on the bottom of the drum. It was still liquid the next day so I put a bunch of paper towels down there. There was a lot from the 6 butts.

BTW, Butts were excellent. I know it did not happen because I don't have any pics.

Thanks,
George

My UDS sets on two cinder blocks. When I'm done I just tip it sideways and allow the grease to drain out of one of the air intake holes into an aluminum pan.

Norcoredneck 09-09-2008 04:35 PM

Put some ash on it and let it soak up. Then use a Thirdeye Hoe Scoop" to scrape it out.

jiarby 09-09-2008 05:02 PM

After two buts and two briskets on my 85g I had the same thing...lotsa greas in the bottom. I didn't want it going rancid on me so I poured in some Heavy Duty Simple Green (which for some reason is purple) and maybe a half gallon of water. I swished that around and let it soak in to break up the grease.

I poured this out into a 5g bucket and then down the sewer drain. I used a hose to rinse out the rest with the drum tipped on its side. I mostly left the sides of the drum alone.

After that a quick blast with the weed burner to dry it out and a quick coating with some Smart & Final spray grease (like PAM) and we are good as new.

web-pilot 09-10-2008 04:28 PM

Thanks for all of the ideas! I especially like the small child idea. I can hold one of my granddaughters upside down by the feet and let them wipe it all out. I think I better not try that one!

Thanks,
George

Norcoredneck 09-10-2008 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by web-pilot (Post 734874)
Thanks for all of the ideas! I especially like the small child idea. I can hold one of my granddaughters upside down by the feet and let them wipe it all out. I think I better not try that one!

Thanks,
George

USC has a new purpose.
http://www.top-hats.com/images/Novelty/512.gif

Barbarian 09-10-2008 07:20 PM

Start up and cleanup are easy, just lift the drum off the stand and git er done.