The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   *** ADMIN NOTE *** NO PICS DIDN'T HAPPEN? I call BS! (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=77439)

BBQchef33 02-01-2010 03:24 PM

*** ADMIN NOTE *** NO PICS DIDN'T HAPPEN? I call BS!

No pics.. Didn't happen. ? :confused:

Well, Maybe it did.
:cool:

Lately, I've seen more and more comments,and even some that appeared to be a little bit on the harsh side regarding pictures, or lack of, in posts and threads.
I know, and I am sure no one here means this to be aynthing but some fun ribbing, but it can be misconstrued by or intimidating to new members, or it can be seen as just plain getting old by the established members.

We all love seeing the photos, but in this forum it is NOT a requirement.
If they are available, great, iof not, lets hear about it and let our imagination and creativity fill in the blanks.

What brought this about? Me, several times this something has happened to me, here in my own backyard, so I am sure it is happening to others. I kept quiet for a while figuring its just me, but today, the same topic was brought up by someone other than myself. That makes it necessary for me to bring this to everyones attention.

What is it you ask?

Several times, I found myself not posting about a cook, or an experience because I did NOT HAVE PICTURES. :eek::eek: WTF...If thats me, I can not imagine how a new member would feel about posting their experiences, then get smacked for not having a picture.

Well Bullchit.
I did it, I cooked it, and it happened, and I want to post about it without a damn picture. :mrgreen::cool: Sometimes Im lazy, or I dont have my camera, or the unspectacular cook resulted in spectacular results.. but alas,?? no pics, it didnt happen??, so I dont post it and no one learns. That ain't right. Tha'ts not what we want. We want to know every damn way there is to do something, and for us to miss out on something for lack of a Polaroid is hurting no one but ourselves.

I would hate for another member to feel intimidated or ostracized, and not post something they did, because they didn't have a photo. Now, this is not to say some good natured ribbing among those that you know must stop, but it would be appreciated if its done with discretion and the blanket statements on any post that doesn't have a photo be kept to a minimum.

Agreed, some posts may warrant it, but theres is nothing spectacular about cooking a pork butt that would make me do a photo shoot every time. That does not mean i dont want to share the technique or recipe, or maybe just the finished product. Without a photo.

So keep the photos coming, but just because u dont have one, its ok. It does not mean we dont want to hear it or understand how u did it.

pahutchens 02-01-2010 03:30 PM

Thanks Poobah!

I enjoy pron as much as the next Q-uer but was personally slow to post my cooks image less.

Big day for us 'Phil's' tomorrow, if we see our shadows that means immediately light a fire for some Que.

bigabyte 02-01-2010 03:35 PM

I have done my fair share of ribbing people about pics, but I only mean it in jest.

Nowadays, I rarely create a thread when I cook something because...
1. I don't want to take pictures of it, I want to cook and eat it.
2. I see no particular reason to share the cooking session because it contained nothing new that I could "enlighten" people with. I've already done it before and posted about it. (use the search feature or ask)

Now, when I was new to forums I wanted to share every experience, many times without pictures. Back then, pics weren't required, but I would take them sometimes when I felt it important in helping people understand what I was doing exactly. People that are new today should be able to express themselves the same way.

My 2 cents anyway.

Smoothsmoke 02-01-2010 03:35 PM

Agree

Phubar 02-01-2010 03:36 PM

I know what you mean PoobaH but many times (for me) pics speak louder than words...just saying.

Phesant 02-01-2010 03:36 PM

NOW YOU TELL US:!: :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: :-D:-D

Well put:!: I agree.....

But with some of the members I know, .......:evil::evil::evil:

I'm just saying :biggrin:

Phubar 02-01-2010 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phubar (Post 1164820)
I know what you mean PoobaH but many times (for me) pics speak louder than words...just saying.

So...where are the pics!?:biggrin:

early mornin' smokin' 02-01-2010 03:38 PM

im with you poobah, the last thing im thinking about grabbing is my camera as im running out to my cooker with tongs, gloves, sheet pans, foil, sauce, rub, oh wait, where's my photographer, must not have happened.

We all love our food pron, but for it to be required, bullchit!

SmokeInDaEye 02-01-2010 03:38 PM

This thread would be better with pictures.

GWA 02-01-2010 03:38 PM

I always prefer to see the pix, this way I can get hungry visually and not rely on my mental abilities...if you catch my drift...:-D

bigabyte 02-01-2010 03:41 PM

Phil, I propose we make a similar thread about Thermapens. I have heard people try to claim that any other color besides RED is acceptable. I just don't know how much more of this I can stand!:twisted:

Crüe-B-Cüe 02-01-2010 03:41 PM

Thank you. I have not posted my last few cooks because of this. One was a brisket yesterday. I know most are kidding about the no pics, but I saw a recent post that I felt was a little harsh. Sometimes I am lucky to get to cook much less set up for a phot shoot. I do enjoy taking the pictures and sharing, but sometimes I just don't farking feel like it.

Harbormaster 02-01-2010 03:43 PM

The Poobah is wise!

I have dial up for now. PITA to load pics. Thus, no pics from me

Midnight Smoke 02-01-2010 03:47 PM

Dang, I just posted about my Butt's and always include Pic's, guess folks could get tired of seeing the same thing over and over.

You are right, people should not feel intimidated if they do not post Pictures. I do feel that the Pictures help many times with making the Post more interesting and the following comments can come in accordingly. Kind of hard to comment on just a statement unless it has a recipe attached to add.

But when someone posts I smoked a 400 Gorilla, I would want proof. LOL

h20loo 02-01-2010 03:51 PM

Thanks

Jet2 02-01-2010 03:51 PM

And that is why you are the great and wise Grand Poobah!

My biggest problem is that before I can get the camera the food is eaten - now tell me that didn't happen!

I did 85 quesdilla's this weekend for a church event and was so busy pushing out the food that I couldn't stop for pics - but everybody was full and smiling so I know that happened.

Thanks for the reminder that this isn't all about the pron (but pron is good!)

peaspurple 02-01-2010 03:54 PM

Well put and I agree!!

BBQchef33 02-01-2010 03:57 PM

Yes, pictures speak louder than words, but without pictures, sometimes there is silence and thats not good.

However, i will admit, sometimes its the pictures that get my ass out there to cook so we WANT THOSE PHOTOS! They also get us primed for lunch, drool at work, and without them, there would be no throwdown. Pics are great.. but so are the techniques, the ideas, and just sharing the experience, sans photo.

Heres another one.. I have a camera phone filled with pics i have never posted. Why? Lazy, no cable, bluetooth failed, got sidetracked.. and because of that, I never posted the experience. FAIL!

This is to do nothing but to make everyone aware of the perspectives, both sides. For those not to be afraid to post without photos, and for those to keep the photos coming when u have them!

I am glad theres alot of agreement here.. I should have said something sooner..

Smokey Al Gold 02-01-2010 03:59 PM

You know I'm a big enough man to admit I did that today to Todd Ras and I apologize if it was taken offensively. I of course meant nothing negative it was all in fun and I hope my apology is accepted. I completely agree with Poobah and I do the same thing about not posting cooks if I forgot to take pics. I feel like no one wants to hear about it without seeing it as well. I will be a better brethren from now on.

JCHjr55 02-01-2010 04:02 PM

Well said.

There is a great amount of extremely useful information here, photo or no photo.

Thank you for this great site.

John

Phubar 02-01-2010 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BBQchef33 (Post 1164869)
Yes, pictures speak louder than words, but without pictures, sometimes there silence and thats not good. :!:

This is to do nothing but to make everyone aware of the perspectives, both sides. For those not to be afraid to post without photos, and for those to keep the photos coming when u have them!

:cool:

deguerre 02-01-2010 04:09 PM

I agree, and I have made a few no pics comments in jest but I have also defended threads that had no pics too a few times. Still, I would never want to think someone would not wish to share because of no photos. A favorite recipe thay used even if the camera failed (Or whatever reason) but they wanted to let us in on would be enough too. Or any other information that we could find useful within our own experiences.

Tarpon65 02-01-2010 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigabyte (Post 1164832)
Phil, I propose we make a similar thread about Thermapens. I have heard people try to claim that any other color besides Orange is acceptable. I just don't know how much more of this I can stand!:twisted:

Fixed that for you.

early mornin' smokin' 02-01-2010 04:17 PM

let it be known, phil has a couple different color thermopens

Ranbo 02-01-2010 04:22 PM

I was reluctant to post for a long time because of the no pic things.My main helper at cookoff's wont post on any forum because of it, which is a shame because he cooks beautifully.
This is an awesome forum.

Boshizzle 02-01-2010 04:22 PM

You painted a very clear picture of your feelings on this subject. :-)

Pics are great, but don't hold back posting just because you don't have any.

BBQchef33 02-01-2010 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smokey Al Gold (Post 1164876)
You know I'm a big enough man to admit I did that today to Todd Ras and I apologize if it was taken offensively. I of course meant nothing negative it was all in fun and I hope my apology is accepted. I completely agree with Poobah and I do the same thing about not posting cooks if I forgot to take pics. I feel like no one wants to hear about it without seeing it as well. I will be a better brethren from now on.

i dont think your post was taken offensively at all, and I also did not see it yet. :) So please dont think this came about from your posting.

The moderating team has been discussing this privatly for a few days. It was THEY who looked at it from several different perspectives and brought it out. When i read some of their comments, i realized it wasn't just me and now we say something. I'd like to publicly throw some kudos at them for being proactive and not let this just fester silently.

chambersuac 02-01-2010 04:26 PM

Hey, I like the pictures for learning and for inspiration, but no one should feel like they shouldn't post because of them...well a few people should always post pictures- like Rick, Ross, and Jeanie :) But, only of pork - because only pork is BBQ :) <ducking mod>

chambersuac 02-01-2010 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BBQchef33 (Post 1164915)
I'd like to publicly throw some kudos at them for being proactive and not let this just fester silently.

I agree. Great mods on this forum.

likeadeere 02-01-2010 04:28 PM

i agree.

pigdog 02-01-2010 04:36 PM

ok, you guys asked for it. Wait till I show you my crappy looking stuff, you'll be pleading for me to not show again.

Yeah, I am a bad smoker of meat and man enough to admit it. I'll just live vicariously through those that know what they're doing.

Ron_L 02-01-2010 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phubar (Post 1164820)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phubar (Post 1164823)
So...where are the pics!?:biggrin:

You didn't just ask yourself for pictures, did you? :-D

BTW, I agree that pics speak louder than words, and I love the pics, but I also love the descriptions and procedures and ingredient lists, especially if it is something that i have never made before. In some cases, that type of info is more important than pics.

BobBrisket 02-01-2010 04:39 PM

Phil,

So then what you are trying to say is that "sometimes it's okay to buy a girlie mag just for the articles?" :twisted:

Funny how I think about it now that you brought it up, but many times I've not posted either because I didn't have pics......I'm still working on pics for the caulking thread, but that's another story. You are right. Many new members might get the wrong idea or impression when they are ribbed for not having pron. We should encourage posting without pics also. I must say that your "Farking Fawoosh" thread would have even more enjoyable with said pron though!:wink::-D
Keep up the great Modding!
Bob

Rick's Tropical Delight 02-01-2010 04:40 PM

i got to tell you i was offended by the guy that said posting photos was lame.

G$ 02-01-2010 04:42 PM

Amen. And I thought I was the only one that just was kind of tired of that mantra.

millsy 02-01-2010 04:46 PM

Well said Grand Poobah

landarc 02-01-2010 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rick's Tropical Delight (Post 1164941)
i got to tell you i was offended by the guy that said posting photos was lame.

How did you know I was gonna post that before I posted it?

NO pics on the caulking thread!

bbqbull 02-01-2010 04:51 PM

Thinking out loud here.......ive been doing bbq on a Klose pit since 2001, been a member here since 05-06 dont remember.
I learned just a couple years ago how to post photos here.....middle age man.

I do quite a bit of bbq yet dont have my camera here at home as wife uses it for her work ocasionaly.

I too was intimidated during my first couple of years here not knowing or not having the equipment to post photos of my cooks.
We just got an air card a couple years ago which was a huge help in even posting a picture from time to time.
Hell I could not even view half the photos with dial up service here.

I believe I too was chastised for not posting photos but am glad I did not leave the greatest forum on the planet!

There are a few examples of why I did not post photos for some time, im sure there are others who are in the same situation that I was in.

Thanks Phil!

chambersuac 02-01-2010 04:53 PM

You know, I can take ribbing for not posting pictures. What hacks me off is when someone complains that I didn't post enough pictures of a cook - or that the pictures were not high enough in quality.

Rick's Tropical Delight 02-01-2010 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by landarc (Post 1164956)
How did you know I was gonna post that before I posted it?

NO pics on the caulking thread!

i'm not talking about the caulking thread.

i intentionally didn't take photos and did not post text or photos of some cooks because of the rant on here and in a personal blog saying posting photos for responses was lame and the responses were lame as well. i thought that was the whole purpose of qtalk. maybe i just don't understand.

BBQchef33 02-01-2010 05:15 PM

that was the opinion of a very bored individual.

:)

Alan in Ga 02-01-2010 05:19 PM

As a new member to the forum and I just learned to post pics myself I find it a great experience to show off our cooking. Heck I posted a pic to the asian throwdown(not the clearest but there). I don't take pics of every cook but I love to talk about them either wa this is the best forum I have found and am proud to be a member (contributing soon) Alan

jacob 02-01-2010 05:25 PM

Sounds like a plan.

Phubar 02-01-2010 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron_L (Post 1164935)
You didn't just ask yourself for pictures, did you? :-

:wink:

Words,pictures and vids is how I learned a lot these couple of months from you guys...still I think pics are very important and I'm glad to see people doing their best to show their process of prepping foods (or smoker build) to show the rest how they do it and maybe can learn from it.
And I agree with that you don't have to post pics of a dish you've made numerous of times but it's cool to see progress in your Brother's or Sisters' work.

Norcoredneck 02-01-2010 05:32 PM

Like it or not, your gonna get pics from me!:twisted:
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/at...0&d=1264897279

JUCY! All natural butter.

bigabyte 02-01-2010 05:33 PM

Thankfully that butt is free of bark.

palmcoastbob 02-01-2010 05:35 PM

I love the pics but I haven't posted lately cause I reached my storage limit and I think I have to delete something to post something else and I been to lazy to figure it all out. Did my first stuffed pork loin last week but wouldn't have dreamed of mentioning it without pics. I think Poobahs post will make this an even better site. I'm pretty new here but thats my 2 pennys worth.:-o

1_T_Scot 02-01-2010 05:36 PM

I also have cut way back on posting about cooks. Take the time to take the pics then upload and do a write up. You get a bunch of views and no one says anything.
But forget to post the pictures and everyone jumps in/on.

Other forums (Non Food related) have a thank you button so if someone doesn't have anythign to say they can just leave a thanks.

River City Smokehouse 02-01-2010 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SmokeInDaEye (Post 1164825)
This thread would be better with pictures.

You need a "TIME OUT" Mister!:biggrin:

Rick's Tropical Delight 02-01-2010 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Norcoredneck (Post 1165014)
Like it or not, your gonna get pics from me!:twisted:

i thought you had a tattoo