The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   *** ADMIN NOTE *** NO PICS DIDN'T HAPPEN? I call BS! (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=77439)

BBQchef33 02-01-2010 03:24 PM

*** ADMIN NOTE *** NO PICS DIDN'T HAPPEN? I call BS!

No pics.. Didn't happen. ? :confused:

Well, Maybe it did.
:cool:

Lately, I've seen more and more comments,and even some that appeared to be a little bit on the harsh side regarding pictures, or lack of, in posts and threads.
I know, and I am sure no one here means this to be aynthing but some fun ribbing, but it can be misconstrued by or intimidating to new members, or it can be seen as just plain getting old by the established members.

We all love seeing the photos, but in this forum it is NOT a requirement.
If they are available, great, iof not, lets hear about it and let our imagination and creativity fill in the blanks.

What brought this about? Me, several times this something has happened to me, here in my own backyard, so I am sure it is happening to others. I kept quiet for a while figuring its just me, but today, the same topic was brought up by someone other than myself. That makes it necessary for me to bring this to everyones attention.

What is it you ask?

Several times, I found myself not posting about a cook, or an experience because I did NOT HAVE PICTURES. :eek::eek: WTF...If thats me, I can not imagine how a new member would feel about posting their experiences, then get smacked for not having a picture.

Well Bullchit.
I did it, I cooked it, and it happened, and I want to post about it without a damn picture. :mrgreen::cool: Sometimes Im lazy, or I dont have my camera, or the unspectacular cook resulted in spectacular results.. but alas,?? no pics, it didnt happen??, so I dont post it and no one learns. That ain't right. Tha'ts not what we want. We want to know every damn way there is to do something, and for us to miss out on something for lack of a Polaroid is hurting no one but ourselves.

I would hate for another member to feel intimidated or ostracized, and not post something they did, because they didn't have a photo. Now, this is not to say some good natured ribbing among those that you know must stop, but it would be appreciated if its done with discretion and the blanket statements on any post that doesn't have a photo be kept to a minimum.

Agreed, some posts may warrant it, but theres is nothing spectacular about cooking a pork butt that would make me do a photo shoot every time. That does not mean i dont want to share the technique or recipe, or maybe just the finished product. Without a photo.

So keep the photos coming, but just because u dont have one, its ok. It does not mean we dont want to hear it or understand how u did it.

pahutchens 02-01-2010 03:30 PM

Thanks Poobah!

I enjoy pron as much as the next Q-uer but was personally slow to post my cooks image less.

Big day for us 'Phil's' tomorrow, if we see our shadows that means immediately light a fire for some Que.

bigabyte 02-01-2010 03:35 PM

I have done my fair share of ribbing people about pics, but I only mean it in jest.

Nowadays, I rarely create a thread when I cook something because...
1. I don't want to take pictures of it, I want to cook and eat it.
2. I see no particular reason to share the cooking session because it contained nothing new that I could "enlighten" people with. I've already done it before and posted about it. (use the search feature or ask)

Now, when I was new to forums I wanted to share every experience, many times without pictures. Back then, pics weren't required, but I would take them sometimes when I felt it important in helping people understand what I was doing exactly. People that are new today should be able to express themselves the same way.

My 2 cents anyway.

Smoothsmoke 02-01-2010 03:35 PM

Agree

Phubar 02-01-2010 03:36 PM

I know what you mean PoobaH but many times (for me) pics speak louder than words...just saying.

Phesant 02-01-2010 03:36 PM

NOW YOU TELL US:!: :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: :-D:-D

Well put:!: I agree.....

But with some of the members I know, .......:evil::evil::evil:

I'm just saying :biggrin:

Phubar 02-01-2010 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phubar (Post 1164820)
I know what you mean PoobaH but many times (for me) pics speak louder than words...just saying.

So...where are the pics!?:biggrin:

early mornin' smokin' 02-01-2010 03:38 PM

im with you poobah, the last thing im thinking about grabbing is my camera as im running out to my cooker with tongs, gloves, sheet pans, foil, sauce, rub, oh wait, where's my photographer, must not have happened.

We all love our food pron, but for it to be required, bullchit!

SmokeInDaEye 02-01-2010 03:38 PM

This thread would be better with pictures.

GWA 02-01-2010 03:38 PM

I always prefer to see the pix, this way I can get hungry visually and not rely on my mental abilities...if you catch my drift...:-D

bigabyte 02-01-2010 03:41 PM

Phil, I propose we make a similar thread about Thermapens. I have heard people try to claim that any other color besides RED is acceptable. I just don't know how much more of this I can stand!:twisted:

Crüe-B-Cüe 02-01-2010 03:41 PM

Thank you. I have not posted my last few cooks because of this. One was a brisket yesterday. I know most are kidding about the no pics, but I saw a recent post that I felt was a little harsh. Sometimes I am lucky to get to cook much less set up for a phot shoot. I do enjoy taking the pictures and sharing, but sometimes I just don't farking feel like it.

Harbormaster 02-01-2010 03:43 PM

The Poobah is wise!

I have dial up for now. PITA to load pics. Thus, no pics from me

Midnight Smoke 02-01-2010 03:47 PM

Dang, I just posted about my Butt's and always include Pic's, guess folks could get tired of seeing the same thing over and over.

You are right, people should not feel intimidated if they do not post Pictures. I do feel that the Pictures help many times with making the Post more interesting and the following comments can come in accordingly. Kind of hard to comment on just a statement unless it has a recipe attached to add.

But when someone posts I smoked a 400 Gorilla, I would want proof. LOL

h20loo 02-01-2010 03:51 PM

Thanks