The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   MAK Group Buy (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=279141)

Shadowdog500 03-01-2020 10:43 AM

Rwalters, In addition to Tom B’s question on the cleaning process, could you please share your best programmed cooks for ribs, chicken, pulled pork, and brisket. I know you have yours dialed in so I’d like to cheat and use your numbers.

rwalters 03-01-2020 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tom b (Post 4278012)
rwalters would you min repeating your cleaning process you put up a week or so ago, I ordered the products you suggested, they came yesterday. TIA

Of course!

Key items needed:
-Damp microfiber towel
-SD-20 for everyday cleaning
-Break-Up for the TOUGH occasional cleaning

Every cook cleaning:
After each cook, while the MAK is still warm to the touch, I spray down the stainless with the SD-20 and then proceed to wipe down with the damp microfiber towel. After that I rinse the towel and give it one last wipe down to remove any residue. Time spent on wipe down is maybe 3 mins.

Once in awhile cleaning:
While the MAK is still warm to the touch, I will spray any super tough spots with the Break-Up cleaner. Be careful to keep this spray on the stainless only. Quickly wipe away any overspray from the powder coating. Let it sit on the warm stainless for maybe a minute and proceed to wipe away stains with the damp microfiber towel. Just like the SD-20, rinse towel and give it a final wipe down.

IMPORTANT: Stainless must be fairly warm to the touch when cleaning. The difference is night and day.

rwalters 03-01-2020 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shadowdog500 (Post 4278017)
Rwalters, In addition to Tom B’s question on the cleaning process, could you please share your best programmed cooks for ribs, chicken, pulled pork, and brisket. I know you have yours dialed in so I’d like to cheat and use your numbers.

Honestly, I never use the “programs” as I am more of a “turn it on and cook” kinda guy. I do monitor and control my cooks via WiFi all the time. I also use temp probes that are connected to the Pellet Boss quite often. I can tell you that for low n slow cooks (butts, ribs, brisket, etc) I love doing most of the cook at 210° with the food on the upper grate. I will often bump to 250-275 at the end to finish things up if I need to meet a certain timeline. Love the results. All of this could easily be handled through a set program, but I just prefer to touch the buttons myself... lol. If you are one that wants to set and use programs, the skies the limit with the Pellet Boss controller. You can run up to 3 different programs, and each program can pretty much accommodate whatever you can think up. Highly programmable. Like any cooker, it’ll take a few cooks to figure out your preferences, but once that’s done, it’s smooth and EASY sailing with the MAK :)

pjtexas1 03-01-2020 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shadowdog500 (Post 4278010)
I’m calling tomorrow. Had to spend a couple days convincing the wife. :mrgreen:

I bought my pit boss and my 22 WSM without mentioning it, but getting a $3k smoker without even seeing one in person is another thing.

Completely understandable. Luckily I didn't need the cooking space. Of course I could live to regret that decision later. Also, I think I'm too lazy to keep the SS looking nice. My non-SS Pellet Pro still looks great. Only wipe the dust off when it builds up too much.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Baychilla 03-01-2020 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rwalters (Post 4278042)
Honestly, I never use the “programs” as I am more of a “turn it on and cook” kinda guy. I do monitor and control my cooks via WiFi all the time. I also use temp probes that are connected to the Pellet Boss quite often. I can tell you that for low n slow cooks (butts, ribs, brisket, etc) I love doing most of the cook at 210° with the food on the upper grate. I will often bump to 250-275 at the end to finish things up if I need to meet a certain timeline. Love the results. All of this could easily be handled through a set program, but I just prefer to touch the buttons myself... lol. If you are one that wants to set and use programs, the skies the limit with the Pellet Boss controller. You can run up to 3 different programs, and each program can pretty much accommodate whatever you can think up. Highly programmable. Like any cooker, it’ll take a few cooks to figure out your preferences, but once that’s done, it’s smooth and EASY sailing with the MAK :)

Why the upper grate for low/slow? What happens with low/slow on the lower grate? Is it just a cleanup function?

KevinJ 03-01-2020 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baychilla (Post 4278213)
Why the upper grate for low/slow? What happens with low/slow on the lower grate? Is it just a cleanup function?

I do it because I'm lazy and it makes cleanup easier, if I have a smoke that only requires 1 grate it goes on the top with a pan on the bottom grate to catch drippings and grease.

https://i.imgur.com/im6FgBA.jpg?1

pjtexas1 03-01-2020 04:56 PM

Well now I wish I would have ordered the upper grate. Maybe not. I cook in pans mostly. I should have enough headroom for that, right?

rwalters 03-01-2020 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pjtexas1 (Post 4278244)
Well now I wish I would have ordered the upper grate. Maybe not. I cook in pans mostly. I should have enough headroom for that, right?

You’ll have more than enough headroom for pans... and if you ever order the upper grate you’ll have room on 2 levels for pans. The MAK’s do not lack in the headroom dept.

rwalters 03-01-2020 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KevinJ (Post 4278234)
I do it because I'm lazy and it makes cleanup easier, if I have a smoke that only requires 1 grate it goes on the top with a pan on the bottom grate to catch drippings and grease.

Exactly what Kevin said... easy cleanup. You can cook on the bottom grate though with no issue... have done it many times.

kenrobin 03-01-2020 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rwalters (Post 4278042)
Honestly, I never use the “programs” as I am more of a “turn it on and cook” kinda guy. I do monitor and control my cooks via WiFi all the time.

Same here

ssv3 03-01-2020 07:25 PM

+1. Same here.

Quote:

Originally Posted by KevinJ (Post 4278234)

ssv3 03-01-2020 07:27 PM

Hopefully you guys that had interest jumped on this. MAK never drops their pricing. I just wish I had a reason to buy a MAK so I'm living through you guys. :laugh:

KevinJ 03-01-2020 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ssv3 (Post 4278366)
Hopefully you guys that had interest jumped on this. MAK never drops their pricing. I just wish I had a reason to buy a MAK so I'm living through you guys. :laugh:

If you ever buy one Sako you won't be disappointed, like the LSG vert you just know you got it right. :grin:

pjtexas1 03-01-2020 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ssv3 (Post 4278366)
Hopefully you guys that had interest jumped on this. MAK never drops their pricing. I just wish I had a reason to buy a MAK so I'm living through you guys. [emoji23]

Reason?
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...3ac7bcab3f.gif

TravelingJ 03-01-2020 08:10 PM

Is there a running total of how many people have snagged one on this deal?