The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Competition BBQ (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Wagyu Brisket (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=169491)

chipb22 08-26-2013 09:15 AM

Wagyu Brisket

I've never cooked a wagyu brisket before but im told the marbleing is different than most. My question is do they really give you an edge and am i the only one not cooking Wagyu. I like the choice Angus I've been cooking for years but now that I'm competing I'm looking for the scores. If the marbling is so different I'm sure the cooking is also different and that's a 75$ screw up is it worth experimenting with.

kenthanson 08-26-2013 09:22 AM

Do you have an extra $75 bucks to spend on a Waygu to test, if so than yes it is worth it. I've cooked two and they were the most tender and flavorful ones I've ever done, but the ranch that I get them from butchers everything in one batch and had cut all the packers length wise so they are to small for comps.

WineMaster 08-26-2013 09:26 AM

And please let us know where to get the 75 $ waygu

chipb22 08-26-2013 09:38 AM

I got an e mail from snake river farms and 11-14 lb brisket was 75$

BogsBBQ 08-26-2013 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chipb22 (Post 2602047)
I got an e mail from snake river farms and 11-14 lb brisket was 75$

Does that include free delivery?

INmitch 08-26-2013 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WineMaster (Post 2602023)
And please let us know where to get the 75 $ waygu

He said an EXTRA $75.

dr pearl 08-26-2013 12:13 PM

I am a fairly new competition cook. I cooked Angus Choice with not so good results during my 1st couple years. I finally decided to try a Wagyu and had the same results. I cooked a lot of Choice this past year for catering and vending and had a chance to try a bunch of things. I just finished 8th with a Choice in Brisket (not even a Angus)a couple weeks ago with a very respectable 161.7. Wagyu is not the answer to poor brisket results as far as I can tell. Cook them right, love them and pay attention to them, kind of like a child

Jacked UP BBQ 08-26-2013 12:42 PM

We cooked wagyu for awhile, went to a different style. Have had better success without wagyu.

ique 08-26-2013 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jacked UP BBQ (Post 2602327)
We cooked wagyu for awhile, went to a different style. Have had better success without wagyu.

Oh yeah, what style did you switch too?

gettinbasted 08-26-2013 12:52 PM

Quote:

Ditto for me. Maybe I gave up on it too soon, but I didn't like my results with wagyu.

Jacked UP BBQ 08-26-2013 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ique (Post 2602336)
Oh yeah, what style did you switch too?

Niman Ranch. CAB prime program. Real Angus, USDA house. The briskets have marbeling like wagyu, but not as soft which I think has been hurting our results.

Know Bull 08-26-2013 01:51 PM

I can't say if it is "worth it". $125 for a wagyu with shipping versus $35 from the local grocery. The wagyu is better, but price is subjective. People win with either one.

And if you cook for people that like to go to mediocre chain restaurants (Chilis comes to mind) then they will actually like cheap stuff better. It is what they are used to.

In a contest the great equalizer is time before the judges sample. All brisket loses a lot between slicing and that 30 minutes or more till a judge tastes. If we could serve judges as we slice the meat, wagyu would be the king.

Wagyu cooks different. Once past the 'stall' the internal temp will take off like a rocket. If you do not watch closely you will overcook. Once overcooked the wagyu is worse than the cheap brisket.

I use it at contests. But mostly because I like it better. Take my extra brisket home now instead of giving it away.

BMerrill 08-26-2013 02:46 PM

What temperature does a waygu brisket usually get done?
I know it is more by feel than temperature, but temperature is a good guide.

Podge 08-26-2013 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BMerrill (Post 2602530)
What temperature does a waygu brisket usually get done?
I know it is more by feel than temperature, but temperature is a good guide.

about 10f less... give or take... your results may vary... don't try this at home.. serving suggestion... objects may appear closer than they seem.

Sawdustguy 08-26-2013 03:14 PM

Quote:

Steve told me at BOTBB that all you guys cook is Waygu.