The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Ugly Drum Smoker (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23436)

el luchador 04-11-2018 03:51 PM

I also noticed something - wanting to see if anyone has come to the same conclusion.

I moved the charcoal basket UP to where it was only 15" from the meat as opposed about 30" before.

I noticed the meat came out more moist. My thinking is that getting the coals closer to the meat while keeping the same temperature means the fire is not burning as hot, and not as many air exchanges in the smoker, which leads to a more humid cooking chamber?

Czarbecue 04-11-2018 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by el luchador (Post 3979463)
I also noticed something - wanting to see if anyone has come to the same conclusion.

I moved the charcoal basket UP to where it was only 15" from the meat as opposed about 30" before.

I noticed the meat came out more moist. My thinking is that getting the coals closer to the meat while keeping the same temperature means the fire is not burning as hot, and not as many air exchanges in the smoker, which leads to a more humid cooking chamber?

Placebo.

Czarbecue 04-11-2018 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by el luchador (Post 3979268)
on a quest to find the easiest simplest charcoal box for a UDS

CLAY BASKET FOR UDS
prep time :2-3 minutes
work involved: drill a few holes
level of effort: 1/10
cost $15
source: lowes
size :15" diameter x 6" height
burn time: unknown. guessing 10-12 hours if loaded, maybe more.

pros. good burn profile. heat stayed stable
cons: cracked on first use.but I have a feeling that was a one time thing and will be fine going forward.burn pic is after 4 hours at 275 degreeshttps://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/a...1&d=1523416482

https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/a...1&d=1523416482

Do these type of baskets several times and you’ll have enough for a Hunsaker basket.

el luchador 04-12-2018 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Czarbecue (Post 3979547)
Placebo.

could be but the science supports my finding

Quote:

Originally Posted by Czarbecue (Post 3979548)
Do these type of baskets several times and you’ll have enough for a Hunsaker basket.

true. if they don't last.
either way I personally would never do a hunsaker though as I like to cook over infrared.

Blythewood BBQ'er 04-14-2018 05:24 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Finally finished up the wife's friend's drum. Simple flat top with intakes, exhaust, and fire basket from udsparts.com. Seems to run pretty steady around 275- 280. Lid has a small leak but will seal itself after a few uses. Will let the whole basket run and season it up good. The drum was what I was using for my Octoforks Rotisserie so need to get it re seasoned for a smoker. Tomorrow I hope to take my absolutely perfectly running domed uds and add intake pipes. I don't think it will hurt it's performance at all the way this one is running. Just tired of bending over and working the fridge magnets.

el luchador 04-14-2018 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blythewood BBQ'er (Post 3981011)
Finally finished up the wife's friend's drum. Simple flat top with intakes, exhaust, and fire basket from udsparts.com. Seems to run pretty steady around 275- 280. Lid has a small leak but will seal itself after a few uses. Will let the whole basket run and season it up good. The drum was what I was using for my Octoforks Rotisserie so need to get it re seasoned for a smoker. Tomorrow I hope to take my absolutely perfectly running domed uds and add intake pipes. I don't think it will hurt it's performance at all the way this one is running. Just tired of bending over and working the fridge magnets.

Looks great. Your wife's friend should be thankful that she knows someone like you who can build a smoker that wins competitions, for cheap.

What's the total cost of that build?

Blythewood BBQ'er 04-14-2018 08:52 PM

Well the drum was purchased new from grainer a couple of years ago brand new unlined I think it was 125 to 150. Basket was 40 but they upgraded me to the 12x12x12 basket free since they were out of the 40 dollar one. 25 for intakes and 13 for the exhaust. Total would be a little over 200. Mine I'm modifying tomorrow I got the drum for free. Sandblasting was 25 maybe 40 for the basket I built and 80 bucks for the tubes. Also got a Akron side table to mount on it for 25 bucks.

Blythewood BBQ'er 04-15-2018 03:51 PM

Boy that was an adventure. Got the pipes mounted, akorn side table mounted, and installed a probe port for the therm cables. The side table is kinda flimsy, but it will hold a dot and beer. Not going to set a huge pile of meat on it. Was exciting due to a squall line moving through. Will get some pictures later this week after a fresh spray of paint. Under a tornado watch right now but things are quiet so I'm going to grab a shower and run to the store.

el luchador 04-15-2018 08:44 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I gave away my first uds. I had some ideas on how to improve the uds and wanted to try them out

I borrowed the exhaust idea from the pbc.
1. Makes for a better sealed unit
2. Works the same in rain
3. Doubles as the inlet for the probe wires
4. Triples as the holes for the rod for hanging
5. It's also the handles for the drum.

I made it sealable so you can easily kill the charcoals once the cook is over

I used three bolts per grate instead of the standard four. Each one is 24" apart. Makes it a little easier to get grates out, saves on drilling and bolts.

I have the coals sitting on a grate 15" from the bottom cooking grate and 7" from bottom of the drum. Bottom of drum stays cool.
Being so close to the coals makes for a bloody efficient cooker.

I splurged on a drum dolly to keep the bottom of the drum dry when it rains. I could have used cinder blocks but what the hey it wasn't that expensive

OferL 04-16-2018 02:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blythewood BBQ'er (Post 3981404)
Boy that was an adventure. Got the pipes mounted, akorn side table mounted, and installed a probe port for the therm cables. The side table is kinda flimsy, but it will hold a dot and beer. Not going to set a huge pile of meat on it. Was exciting due to a squall line moving through. Will get some pictures later this week after a fresh spray of paint. Under a tornado watch right now but things are quiet so I'm going to grab a shower and run to the store.

I thought of a shelf but even if it's steady I think it would cause an imbalance to the whole drum.

What kind of probe port did you get?

Blythewood BBQ'er 04-16-2018 05:49 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I used a conduit fitting like this one. Burned the coating off with my weed burner. Going to make a plug out of rtv and get rid of the rubber insert it came with. The shelf is really lightweight so it doesn't have any affect on the balance of the drum. I even mashed down on it pretty hard and nothing moved.

Shortexistence 04-20-2018 03:58 PM

I am currently only 181 pages into this but figured I'd share my find. Big R in Texas, New Mexico, and Colorado has new 55gal drums for $40. I looked forever for a used one but all the ones I found were closed head and they wanted at least this much for them. If this has already been posted I apologize.
https://bigronline.com/index.php/pri...m-1885710.html

Blythewood BBQ'er 04-20-2018 07:16 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Well here's old faithful gussied up with her pipe intakes, table, thermometer, and fresh coat of paint. Hopefully I can get it lit tomorrow and see how it runs with the pipes. Got alot to do tomorrow to get ready to leave out for the bash midweek and have to work ot Sunday. The table is nice and will be able to hold a dot and beer. It's not really in the way at all extended.

OferL 04-21-2018 04:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blythewood BBQ'er (Post 3984008)
Well here's old faithful gussied up with her pipe intakes, table, thermometer, and fresh coat of paint. Hopefully I can get it lit tomorrow and see how it runs with the pipes. Got alot to do tomorrow to get ready to leave out for the bash midweek and have to work ot Sunday. The table is nice and will be able to hold a dot and beer. It's not really in the way at all extended.

Looks very cool :thumb:

Blythewood BBQ'er 04-21-2018 11:29 AM

Test run going well. Pipes half open and @275. That is about the same as the old holes half open. They were 1 inch and the pipes are 1.5 inch.