The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Ugly Drum Smoker (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23436)

BigButzBBQ 04-30-2010 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doc Robinson (Post 1267572)
Haha...well I guess I can always periodically apply fresh coats. Screw it...I'm cooking on this thing tomorrow!

That's exactly what I decided to do! :laugh:

gbh52 05-01-2010 02:50 PM

UDS Question

Question for the Brothers who are much smarter than me on the subject.

I have read the whole thing over the past months and I've seen posts where people are having problems controlling the temps. A common response or question to the question is how well does the top fit? Does it leak etc. Question is this, what difference (within reason) does it make if the top does not seal? Is that not just another exhaust port so to speak? Again within reason.

I'm asking because so far I have assembled everything needed for zero cost! Which was my goal and why it has taken so long. The donated drum was a refurb with the red liner. During the burn outs (and it was the mother of all burnouts) partially melted the damn thing. I was going to toss it and start over but I though what the hey. After a day of metal working have it in pretty good shape but I'm not sure about how the top fits. Was about to break down and have the interior sand blasted but am I wasting my $20 if it leaks a bit? No the top was not included in the MOB (mother of all burn outs), if I finish this drum I will include photos of the burn and subsequent barrell stretching actiivties.

Dr_KY 05-01-2010 02:58 PM

My MUDS is going to that big smokehouse in the sky. :(

BigButzBBQ 05-01-2010 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr_KY (Post 1268580)
My MUDS is going to that big smokehouse in the sky. :(

We shall all morn for your loss. :sad:
When will services be held? :rip:

firecracker jack 05-01-2010 05:32 PM

Questions about use of drums

Scored three drums for 40$, but uncertain if burning them out will make them safe? Two of the drums are the opened ended type that I intended to use for smokers. The third was a closed ended drum that I wanted to cut into approximately thirds, and use each end of it for lids for the two other drums.
The gentleman said that the two open ended drums contained acrylic that was encapsulated in jell-caps.....No liquid was in contact with the inside of the drum....Opened them up and they were relatively clean(bare meatal) with a little powder in the bottom. There is a definate odor. Was going to wash them out and see if the odor goes away and then burn them out. Is anyone at all fimiliar with such a content?...What do you think?

The other drum I'm definately a little more concearned with. It contained Isotropyl acetate, and the label says not to reuse container unless professionally cleaned....I bought a reconditioned drum some time ago and that was baked back to bare metal (which is what I would guess would be considered professionally cleaned). I was also told that it was a carbon based chemical, which I thought I heard could be successfully removed by burnig out the barrel. Again this drum would basically be used as the lids for the drums and not the entire vessel. This drum was missing the small cap out of the top and I smelled it and didn't really notice any strong odors, like it has been empty for some time?

Does anyone have any opinions or info concerning the contents of these drums, and burning them out.

Burn 'em and eat, or chit can 'em and be safe and alive and stuff?:confused:

dataz722 05-01-2010 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doc Robinson (Post 1265204)
I spent the evening building my UDS. This is what I did for the fire basket. I have no welding skills so I did what I could...any suggestions:

I used the charcoal pan and grate (15.5") from my ECBrinkmann for the ash pan and charcoal grate:

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f2...0/FirePan1.jpg

I used two 24" x 12" sheets of expanded steel from Lowes and used hex bolts and washers to secure them together. Then I used tin snips to cut and fold the bottom so I could secure the basket to the grate and pan with more bolts and washers.

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f2...0/FirePan2.jpg

Then I drilled 1/4" holes about every 3 inches around the ash pan for airflow to the bottom of the charcoal grate.

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f2...0/FirePan3.jpg

That looks pretty familiar to me doc! :heh:

PoppaSmoke 05-02-2010 03:07 AM

So, if I DON'T have an old BBQ for the ash tray, what else would do the trick?

Dr_KY 05-02-2010 03:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigButzBBQ (Post 1268588)
We shall all morn for your loss. :sad:
When will services be held? :rip:

Could be as soon as next weekend I can't stand the thought of not having one more good burn. She's got a rust hole in the side that is not repairable so I'm thinking a high heat yardbird cook then striping her down so all ger goodness can be used in another MUDS. I won't reuse the thermo though as I intend to leave her with some dignity.

She did one hell of a good job for the MIL's 60th birthday the week before but it was all a bit much for the little drum that could.

Doc Robinson 05-03-2010 01:08 PM

My first cook on my UDS couldn't have been better. Brisket and Yukon Gold potatoes rubbed in warm bacon grease and rolled in equal parts salt, pepper, white sugar, paprika, garlic salt, sage, and parsley to coat really well.

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f2...sketTaters.jpg

I was shocked at how fast the UDS cooked this 5 lb. brisket flat...it was about 6.5 hours. The temperature was very easy to control as well. I think I started with about 10 lbs. of charcoal in the basket and still have about 7 lbs. left for the next cook.

rockyathabaska 05-04-2010 01:02 PM

Here's a UDS question to put out there.
When I cook on my UDS is it OK to use my top grill instead of the lower grill?
Am I not respecting the 24" rule?[ 24"minimum?]
Seems in a lot of the pron that you guys are going ahead on the top shelf.
I'm also thinking that a thermo on the lid would be a real asset.
Rockyathabaska

18"weber kettle
22.5"weber kettle
performer
UDS
weber gasser

Dr_KY 05-04-2010 01:42 PM

It's fine to use the top grill in fact it's the only one I use.

jgh1204 05-04-2010 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr_KY (Post 1271319)
It's fine to use the top grill in fact it's the only one I use.

Me too unless I have too much meat for the top then I use the lower one.

Rich Parker 05-04-2010 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gbh52 (Post 1268578)
Question for the Brothers who are much smarter than me on the subject.

I have read the whole thing over the past months and I've seen posts where people are having problems controlling the temps. A common response or question to the question is how well does the top fit? Does it leak etc. Question is this, what difference (within reason) does it make if the top does not seal? Is that not just another exhaust port so to speak? Again within reason.

I'm asking because so far I have assembled everything needed for zero cost! Which was my goal and why it has taken so long. The donated drum was a refurb with the red liner. During the burn outs (and it was the mother of all burnouts) partially melted the damn thing. I was going to toss it and start over but I though what the hey. After a day of metal working have it in pretty good shape but I'm not sure about how the top fits. Was about to break down and have the interior sand blasted but am I wasting my $20 if it leaks a bit? No the top was not included in the MOB (mother of all burn outs), if I finish this drum I will include photos of the burn and subsequent barrell stretching actiivties.

I took a pair of channel locks and bent the rim out on a Weber Kettle lid and placed it on the drum and took a rubber hammer to it. When I first start cooking you will see the smoke rolling under the lid but then after a few minutes it goes away. I have no problem maintaining temps and can shut it down within a few minutes by closing the exhaust and intakes. The more you cook on it the more "seasoned" it will get and the lid will fit better.

h20loo 05-04-2010 04:49 PM

As Rich says-that's the answer I was thinking

Boshizzle 05-04-2010 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PoppaSmoke (Post 1268937)
So, if I DON'T have an old BBQ for the ash tray, what else would do the trick?

I bought two of these and they work great as an ash pan.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Pizza-Pans-Black...item51922a2bb5