The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   MAK Group Buy (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=279141)

rwalters 03-09-2020 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rm41400 (Post 4281626)
My Mak 2 star has landed!!!

Picked it up at the FedEx hub & put it together this morning. Finally home from work to really check it out.

Seasoning it now @ 450 for 30 min.

Have to say my initial impression is very good. I like high end stuff but I can be picky. I was skeptical if the quality and fit and finish would match with the price and I can say YES.

I’ll give feedback on how it runs etc as I get a little more run time with it.

Outstanding! Can’t wait to see and hear more :)

4ever3 03-09-2020 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prneum (Post 4281479)
Since this my first venture into pellet grills, I'm curious about the preference of wood pellets. Not brand but flavor.
I saw on Facebook Live that Meathead uses only apple because he says after hickory and mesquite, you can't tell a deference between the rest. He uses a MAK 2 Star also. I find that hard to believe with so many flavors being sold.
Isn't apple good if you're looking for a mild smoke? I understand that the blends will give off less ash too. I ordered some pecan, cherry and maple from Bear Mountain and figured I would blend some of those together.
Just curious what the Brethren is enjoying with the MAK?

To each their own but we have landed on Lumberjack competition blend as our all around favorite, just try a few brands and blends, your find what you like!

Quote:

Originally Posted by rm41400 (Post 4281626)
My Mak 2 star has landed!!!

Picked it up at the FedEx hub & put it together this morning. Finally home from work to really check it out.

Seasoning it now @ 450 for 30 min.

Have to say my initial impression is very good. I like high end stuff but I can be picky. I was skeptical if the quality and fit and finish would match with the price and I can say YES.

I’ll give feedback on how it runs etc as I get a little more run time with it.

I’m 100% with you!

#smokeon

pjtexas1 03-09-2020 08:59 PM

I really like B&B post oak but then again I was born and raised in Central Texas so I'm biased. Just smells like home when I light it up.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

4ever3 03-09-2020 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pjtexas1 (Post 4281643)
I really like B&B post oak but then again I was born and raised in Central Texas so I'm biased. Just smells like home when I light it up.

Where do you buy it at?

pjtexas1 03-09-2020 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4ever3 (Post 4281644)
Where do you buy it at?

HEB. Another Texas thing. But I know Academy carries a lot of B&B products.

KevinJ 03-09-2020 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pjtexas1 (Post 4281643)

That's good to know, local LJ dealer has quit selling pellets and I only have 160lbs left so I've started to explore what I'm going todo, was leaning towards ordering bulk from Cooking Pellets, the local Academy Sports carry B&B and was planning on giving them a try, the price is certainly right.

Josh@MAK 03-09-2020 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KevinJ (Post 4281652)
That's good to know, local LJ dealer has quit selling pellets and I only have 160lbs left so I've started to explore what I'm going todo, was leaning towards ordering bulk from Cooking Pellets, the local Academy Sports carry B&B and was planning on giving them a try, the price is certainly right.

No, personal experience with B&B, but if they're still essentially the generic brand of BBQers Delight they'll be solid. I haven't heard anything negative about them that I can recall.

KevinJ 03-10-2020 07:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Josh@MAK (Post 4281691)
No, personal experience with B&B, but if they're still essentially the generic brand of BBQers Delight they'll be solid. I haven't heard anything negative about them that I can recall.

Thanks Josh, I had read elsewhere they were rebranded BBQers Delight.

rwalters 03-10-2020 09:43 AM

Tick tock, tick tock, tick tock... 3 days left.

Baychilla 03-10-2020 09:49 AM

Anyone have advice for how to put a Mak together solo? I live hell and gone from friends/coworkers.

bschoen 03-10-2020 10:02 AM

I find an engine hoist to hold stuff up for assembly to be very useful. I too am a one man show.

https://www.harborfreight.com/1-ton-...ane-61858.html

This may not be practical for you though.

rwalters 03-10-2020 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baychilla (Post 4281779)
Anyone have advice for how to put a Mak together solo? I live hell and gone from friends/coworkers.

It’s a one man job til you get to moving the cook chamber to the cart. I have seen guys do that part solo... but I’ll be the first to admit that I ain’t man enough for it. Not sure of an easy way to connect the two without a helping hand. Perhaps a neighbor with a slab of ribs as payment?

smoke ninja 03-10-2020 11:53 AM

every time I go to home depot/ lowes (which is at least once a week) I check the bbq aisle for open bags of pellets. they mark them down 50%

pjtexas1 03-10-2020 12:00 PM

Quote:

You might try locking the wheels and see if they hold. Just be real careful and go slow in case it slides. If you have a deck or shop with a wood floor maybe nail a 2x4 down and use that to hold the wheels in place while you lift.

Marquez 03-10-2020 01:49 PM

Quote:

I solo assembled my One Star last year..... not recommended.

I mean I did it, but I had to think it out and made sure that at all times the weight was supported because its impossible otherwise.