The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Pork Shoulder, Pulled Pork Question (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=119588)

kydsid 11-04-2011 09:33 AM

Pork Shoulder, Pulled Pork Question

To date I have only made pulled pork from pork butt's I got at the grocery store. Having a house warming with a few people so got the Costco Pork Shoulder double pack.

Do ya'll trim down the shoulder and just smoke the butt for pulled pork or just throw it all on the smoker and go hog wild?

SirPorkaLot 11-04-2011 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kydsid (Post 1839750)
To date I have only made pulled pork from pork butt's I got at the grocery store. Having a house warming with a few people so got the Costco Pork Shoulder double pack.

Do ya'll trim down the shoulder and just smoke the butt for pulled pork or just throw it all on the smoker and go hog wild?

Some trim, some don't.

I don't.
I rub the sides that don't have the fat cap on it, and toss it on smoker (fat cap up)

gtr 11-04-2011 09:38 AM

The ones from Costco are boneless - when I've done those I've tied 'em like roasts.

DirtyDirty00 11-04-2011 10:15 AM

ive never done a boneless one. i like my bones in. i like to pull em out at the end!!!

i dont trim either

milehigh 11-04-2011 10:20 AM

I think you just have 2 butts, just like the ones you have bought from the grocer. Put some rub in the pocket that they is left from cutting the bone out.

Pauk

kydsid 11-04-2011 10:57 AM

GTR, yes they are boneless. Thanks for the idea of tying them, might do that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by milehigh (Post 1839821)
I think you just have 2 butts, just like the ones you have bought from the grocer. Put some rub in the pocket that they is left from cutting the bone out.

Pauk

They don't look like that and depending on my spanish skills shouldn't be because I asked because the label just said pork shoulder and that can mean both the picnic and butt primals or just the picnic in my experience. They should be the butt and the picnic shoulder primal, minus the picnic steak (meat from around the leg).

When I get them out of the vacum pack tonight I guess I'll find out. I just wish labels, my spanish, and the meat counter guys knowledge were better. lol

Terry The Toad 11-04-2011 08:08 PM

I have cooked several of Costco's boneless butts. Depending on who de-boned them, sometimes they turn out just fine. Other times a piece sort of falls loose and you end up with a very crispy "appendage" to the roast. :shock:

If you have the string, I'd recommend tying them up.

Lake Dogs 11-04-2011 08:13 PM

Women; trimmed. Pork Butts; not. :icon_blush:

kydsid 11-04-2011 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terry The Toad (Post 1840549)
I have cooked several of Costco's boneless butts. Depending on who de-boned them, sometimes they turn out just fine. Other times a piece sort of falls loose and you end up with a very crispy "appendage" to the roast. :shock:

If you have the string, I'd recommend tying them up.

I was a butcher as a younger man and from the looks of this some 12 year old with a butter knife deboned this meat. Hacked, sawed and just plain nasty. :doh: Tying was a pain so I gave up and put them in pans to smoke. Heres hoping they turn out well.