The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Ugly Drum Smoker (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23436)

wlh3 11-03-2007 11:17 AM

1 Attachment(s)
That is really cool Third Eye. My route was more commerical and I don't have a welder. So this is what I use. Needles to say get a new one.:icon_bigsmil:icon_bigsmil

thirdeye 11-03-2007 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wlh3 (Post 491133)
That is really cool Third Eye. My route was more commerical and I don't have a welder. So this is what I use. Needles to say get a new one.:icon_bigsmil:icon_bigsmil

That is a GREAT idea. I like the two parts (scraper and scoop). I just checked prices and they are around $18. And I bet they are carried at the big box pet stores.

wlh3 11-03-2007 12:05 PM

Ya I picked it up at pet smart it was $20.00. Used it yesterday to clean the UDS. Lined a small plastic paint bucket with a plastic bag scooped away dumped in the bag tied up threw away. No fuss no mess. It was your hoe scooper that gave me the idea. Thanks:icon_bigsmil

msu1970 11-04-2007 11:19 AM

Awesome job everybody..i want one bad...everybody here is very cool tips about tips and ideas..big props to all.I cant wait to start one.I started reading this thread yester day and just finished.THANK YOU ALL..MICHIGAN HERE..

wlh3 11-04-2007 05:33 PM

Question

Drum Guys that have two racks and two temp guages. What is temp diff between lower and upper Rack ? I only have one gauge on the lower rack. I know there are a few more variables just an Idea. Thanks :icon_bigsmil:icon_bigsmil

Norcoredneck 11-04-2007 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wlh3 (Post 491975)
Drum Guys that have two racks and two temp guages. What is temp diff between lower and upper Rack ? I only have one gauge on the lower rack. I know there are a few more variables just an Idea. Thanks :icon_bigsmil:icon_bigsmil

Trouble with 2 gauges in side of drum is the lower grate is very difficult to get past upper grate. On my large drum I have a electronic temp probe that is at lower grate used to run my redneck guru, one dial gauge in at lower grate and one in lid. I get about 20-25 degree difference in 2 dials if I leave it alone. If I open it for a little while they go haywire. Yuo really have to watch opening it as it temp spikes.

wlh3 11-04-2007 05:55 PM

Thanks Norco. I am doing wings today on the upper grate nothing on the lower. Lower grate temp is 250 deg right now no idea on upper grate is so full no room for a oven temp gauge to give me some idea. If I get some shrinkage will put it in to get some idea. nothings perfect its all good:icon_bigsmil:icon_bigsmil

cardiac_cadet002 11-09-2007 02:57 PM

Well I just wanna say that after reading this entire thread I went out and purchased/scrounged up all the necessary stuff to build my own UDS. I spent 4 hours yesterday in the cold managing a towering inferno that I had built in the barrel using old wood pallets that I ripped with my circular saw, but hey, at least the fire kept me warm on the outside and the thoughts of soon having my own UDS kept me warm on the inside. I will be sure and post pics when I have it done, hopefully by Monday I will be smoking a brisket! Great thread and awesome forum!!!!

deeque 11-09-2007 07:43 PM

good luck cardiac hope you enjoy the fruits of your labor. keep on smokeing.:-D

Bigmista 11-09-2007 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cardiac_cadet002 (Post 494783)
Well I just wanna say that after reading this entire thread I went out and purchased/scrounged up all the necessary stuff to build my own UDS. I spent 4 hours yesterday in the cold managing a towering inferno that I had built in the barrel using old wood pallets that I ripped with my circular saw, but hey, at least the fire kept me warm on the outside and the thoughts of soon having my own UDS kept me warm on the inside. I will be sure and post pics when I have it done, hopefully by Monday I will be smoking a brisket! Great thread and awesome forum!!!!

Way to go CC! Welocme to the UDS Corps! Now get over to Cattle Call and introduce yourself!

swamprb 11-09-2007 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cardiac_cadet002 (Post 494783)

"Rarely have we seen a person fail, that has thouroghly followed the UDS path"

Post pics! We love them

Single Fin Smoker 11-10-2007 02:38 AM

Tomorrow I cook for the inlaws. USC/Cal game at 5 & Hawaii/Fresno State at 8 on ESPN. My two favorite teams/schools......sc and UH that is....

Inlaws are from Hawaii.

Da Phoenix will be tested with a 4 pound butt, a 3 pound chicken(I butterflied), a fattie, and cheap ass funky denmark ribs I've been dying to rid my freezer of. Maybe some abt's if I get bored.
When the cook is done, I plan to add some more HBBQ Rancher to smoke some of my Peppers over nite. Depending on how drunk I get we'll see how that goes.
Hopefully I can post pics Sunday nite.

Norcoredneck 11-10-2007 10:28 AM

Pictures of the drunk part please. Hear you make a hell of a fence fire. :twisted:

Single Fin Smoker 11-10-2007 12:22 PM

Man....open up that front ball valve and your temps get to 300 in a hurry!

Rookie'48 11-10-2007 08:52 PM

Using a 2 1/4" exhaust pipe (bent @ 90*) for the intake, running wide open, with a home made (redneck mod) coal basket, I got temps between 350* & 450* using Rancher lump today. Temps were measured using a dial - type meat thermo with a 6 inch stem. I just stuck it in the exhaust vent (3" pipe, about 16" to 18" tall) like you do to measure the dome temp of the WSM. The real temps may have been higher, but I won't know until I get a reading with a mounted thermo or install the grates & use the ET-73.
The next steps will be another burn to get the paint off of the inside (how many of these will I have to do?), installing the grates, cutting the ring off of the free 22 1/2" kettle that I scored today, building the ash-pan & the slide covers for the intake & exhaust tubes.
I keep doing a little at a time & keep thinking of more things to make / add to this "little project":rolleyes:.