The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Ugly Drum Smoker (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23436)

Browser 09-14-2007 03:48 AM

I know that use of a water pan goes against the methodology and raison d' etre of a UDS i.e. thou shalt abide by the KISS principle of engineering when building one (Keep It Simple, Stupid!:biggrin: ) but why can't one use a water pan with a UDS? My only reason for putting this in was that the UDS is able to function because it uses the 24" air space between the coals and the first grille as a direct heat attenuator/buffer, preventing the meat from burning. The water pan in the WSM is to attenuate the heat from the coals, allowing you to place food on a rack directly above said coals. So in theory you could fit three racks into a UDS if you used a water pan?
Tin hat firmly wedged on head awaiting incoming brickbats:eek: :wink:

N8man 09-14-2007 06:54 AM

It's Yours

I suppose if you wanted to turn a UDS into a UWSM, you could, it's yours. But that defeats the BBQ Pit effect, of meat juices dripping directly onto hot coals and producing one of a kind, aromatical delights of palate, basted in savory, vaporized, primal invoking excellence....uhhhhh-ghhh!!!..Sorry...... got carried away......need a smoke now..
..and a nap:wink::wink::biggrin:

keale 09-14-2007 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by N8man (Post 461886)
I suppose if you wanted to turn a UDS into a UWSM, you could, it's yours. But that defeats the BBQ Pit effect, of meat juices dripping directly onto hot coals and producing one of a kind, aromatical delights of palate, basted in savory, vaporized, primal invoking excellence....uhhhhh-ghhh!!!..Sorry...... got carried away......need a smoke now..

Nate, I hope its raining in N.C, cause you need to get outside and que!! I think you're hallucinating!:-P

Meat Burner 09-14-2007 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by N8man (Post 461886)

Agree, what he said. :-D

Browser 09-14-2007 10:53 PM

OK, I'll leave that idea on hold for now, but may experiment once I get the damn thing built!!

wlh3 09-15-2007 03:05 PM

Hi all from a newbie. Read this thread from the start and I want to build one UDS. Here it comes is 1 1/2" between barrel bottom and fire box about the right height?
Thanks wlh3

Meat Burner 09-15-2007 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wlh3 (Post 462733)
Hi all from a newbie. Read this thread from the start and I want to build one UDS. Here it comes is 1 1/2" between barrel bottom and fire box about the right height?
Thanks wlh3

Ye sir! Mine are at 2" and work fine. :mrgreen:

wlh3 09-15-2007 03:37 PM

Thanks Meat Burner have access to a 341/2" barrell at local feed store for $ 42.00 new or can go with the vegas outfit $20.00 and shp of $22.00 used but taller. My Step daughter works for a food co. and she is checking if they have used Barrels for sale. I hope to make a final decision soon
wlh3

Meat Burner 09-15-2007 03:49 PM

wlh3, I have made 4 UDSs and all were 34 1/2". Used 4 half-in ball valves 2" from bottom, top rack 3" down from top lip and second rack 3" below that. That way I can use my weber lid or use the flat lid. All work great. Right now one has been burning for 8 1/2 hours and butt is at 188 degrees. Shook the barrel about an hour ago and temp jumped back to 230 as usual. Hope that is helpful. BUILD THAT BAD BOY AND YOU WILL BE ON HAPPY FARKER!

Brian in So Cal 09-15-2007 03:58 PM

Wlh3,

Let me know if you can get those food grade barrels from your step daughter. I guess I should say can she sell them to me. I live about 45 mins from Port whynotme :-D (Hueneme).

Thanks,
Brian

wlh3 09-15-2007 05:13 PM

Thanks again Meat Burner I was trying to figure out how to get two racks in the shorter barrel.
Brian will let you know on the barrels from the food co. Bought my first house off White canyon road back in 1980 in Canyon Country.
Just so everyone knows how to say Port Hueneme say it like this
Port Why knee me :lol: Chumash Indian name
Thanks all
wlh3

Brian in So Cal 09-15-2007 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wlh3 (Post 462794)
Thanks again Meat Burner I was trying to figure out how to get two racks in the shorter barrel.
Brian will let you know on the barrels from the food co. Bought my first house off White canyon road back in 1980 in Canyon Country.
Just so everyone knows how to say Port Hueneme say it like this
Port Why knee me :lol: Chumash Indian name
Thanks all
wlh3

Thanks I will wait to hear from you on the barrels. Whites Canyon, You got out while the getting was good. Lots of traffic now. I have a friend that lived in Port Hueneme. he always you to say Port
whynotme. That has stuck with me for 30 years.

Meat Burner 09-16-2007 07:02 PM

$42 for a new barrel sounds good. They are $65 here so I get the burn barrels for $12 and start a mega fire in them and go from there. You don't need to do the burn with new ones. Not at exciting but easier to build. Good luck!!!!!

BBQ101 09-16-2007 09:21 PM

I got a good price on a used Drum lid and lid clamp for 15$ after tax. I will pick up some other goodies at work in the morning. I plan on setting this up for use with the Stoker. I also plan on re-reading this thread to get my ideas planned out.

swamprb 09-17-2007 03:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BBQ101 (Post 463640)
I got a good price on a used Drum lid and lid clamp for 15$ after tax. I will pick up some other goodies at work in the morning. I plan on setting this up for use with the Stoker. I also plan on re-reading this thread to get my ideas planned out.

On the bottom of this page is a pic of a guy using Gurus on his BDS. I'm thinking of a draft system myself, mostly for the BGE, but I like the versatility of the Stoker. I was hoping to see some at the PNW Eggfest, but all I saw was Guru's.
I can only imagine using one in the UDS if I were using lump, I have no intake issues with brigs.
http://bigdrumsmokers.com/awards.htm#
Brian