Beef short ribs in instant pot - smoke first?

medeloach

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I was thinking I might do short ribs tonight in the instant pot, but smoke them first. Figured I’d finish them with red wine braise under pressure. Anyone try this before? I was thinking of using apple smoking wood. Thoughts / advice welcome!

I've never done beef short ribs before but I've smoked plenty of pork loins and country style ribs and put them in the slow cooker the following morning before work. It's always worked great for me so I think with the speed and pressure Instant Pot may be even better.

Short ribs can be used so many ways, all of them good as far as I know. But yeah, a couple of hours smoke will enhance the experience!

Thanks guys. I was actually wondering if the smoke flavor would conflict with the red wine reduction. Also, not searing them in the instant pot would prevent me from deglazing with all the brown bits in the bottom of the instant pot. I think I’m talking myself out of it...

Thanks guys. I was actually wondering if the smoke flavor would conflict with the red wine reduction. Also, not searing them in the instant pot would prevent me from deglazing with all the brown bits in the bottom of the instant pot. I think I’m talking myself out of it...

Instead of a red wine reduction, get yourself a bottle of Taylor's Marsala Wine. Its a big bottle and its cheap, and it pairs very well as a sauce for Beef. It will also work well with smoke flavor (if subtle, like an hour of smoke)

One of my favorite sauces is 1 cup coca cola, 1 cup beef stock, 1/2 cup Marsala wine. I just dump it all into the Instant Pot with the short ribs for 90 minutes. Then take some of the liquid, reduce and thicken with a roux or some cornstarch and heavy whipping cream.

Goes great over mashed potatoes. I made jumbo lump crab cakes and sandwiched it between the short rib and the mashed potatoes with a bed of sauteed caramelized portobello mushrooms.

2949592366356854500.jpg

No problem. I had a great beef bourguignon last night with smoked beef and a VERY winey sauce from Oregon pinot noir. Fantastic. Great flavors go with other great flavors.

Back