The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Catering, Food Handling and Awareness (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Coleslaw serving per cabbage head (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=161344)

Smoke House Moe 05-20-2013 01:06 PM

Coleslaw serving per cabbage head

Hi ya'll

Ive been asked to do a cook for a workout gym. They are putting on a big outdoor workout day, and want some BBQ afterwards.

We are doing:
- pulled pork
- cuban rice
- coleslaw

They are taking care of drinks.

My question is regarding coleslaw. How many servings can you expect from each head of green cabbage?
Ball park me based on a standard creamy slaw recipe.

Anyone have a good slaw recipe?

Smoke House Moe 05-20-2013 01:07 PM

I know someone will ask...
These will be standard 4oz servings.

Jacked UP BBQ 05-20-2013 01:46 PM

Better off buying pre shredded from a wholesaler. They come in 20 pound cases, figure 60-80 people per case.

G$ 05-21-2013 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jacked UP BBQ (Post 2487558)
Better off buying pre shredded from a wholesaler. They come in 20 pound cases, figure 60-80 people per case.

Assuming one 20 pound case of shredded, how much pre made dressing is required? Do you happen to have brand names for the RD products?

deguerre 05-21-2013 12:56 PM

Slaw recipe? This is a wonderful match for pork, but it is NOT a creamy slaw. As such, it won't go bad as quickly left out either.

One small to medium head cabbage, chopped very fine.
1/2 cup cider vinegar
6 tbs sugar
6 tbs oil (I use EVOO)
2 1/2 tsp dry mustard
1 tsp dried celery
1 tsp celery seed
1 tbs hot sauce. (I use Sriracha)
I've been making this for years.
Note - cabbage only, add other veggies to your own particular taste.

G$ 05-21-2013 03:11 PM

Guerry, I have heard reat things about your slaw recipe, and I will try it some day, but not this day.

deguerre 05-21-2013 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by G$ (Post 2488863)
Guerry, I have heard reat things about your slaw recipe, and I will try it some day, but not this day.

Actually, I'm pretty sure a crowd would greatly favor a cream style over a sweet/spicy vinegar style most everywhere outside a few states in the South.

gtr 05-21-2013 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deguerre (Post 2488871)
Actually, I'm pretty sure a crowd would greatly favor a cream style over a sweet/spicy vinegar style most everywhere outside a few states in the South.

Well if that's the case there's gonna be about 70 pissed off teachers in Culver City tomorrow. :heh:

HBMTN 05-21-2013 09:17 PM

What I have read the most says 5 people for every pound of cabbage. I have found that number to be too much slaw. You can buy 3lb bags of shredded cabbage at Sams Club. I serve buffet style and let people serve themselves. I have found for me anyways that slaw made from 18lbs of cabbage will easily feed 100-120 people this way when it is served as one of two sides and more people if there are three or more sides.

landarc 05-21-2013 09:52 PM

Whether heads or cases, always figure it on weight. Just a lot easier.

If you are doing a 4 ounce serving, then 4 ounces from 16 ounces gives you four servings per pound of finished product. Assume some numbers...

Creamy slaw dressing is maybe 1/2 ounce of the total weight
Cabbage loses about 10% of the weight to water loss, so 3.5 x 1.10=3.85 ounces of veggies needed per serving.

So, you need 3.85 ounces of cabbage, and any other veggie, in total. This ends up being just under 4 servings per pound of slaw mix. Those are the numbers. Now...I just did en event, with 20 people, and 3 pounds of slaw. I would bet there was 1/2 pound left at the end of the event. So, self-serve, people served themselves less than 4 ounces per serving, something to consider.

Smoke House Moe 05-22-2013 10:14 AM

Good point landarc. Thanks

bbq.tom 05-23-2013 11:50 AM

landarc hit it pretty good with his figures.
I just did a 400 plate catering job and used 50 pounds of cabbage (whole heads). We got about 45 pounds of shredded (about 10% loss to damaged outside leaves and cores). We served up about 3.5 oz servings (4 oz seemed a bit large).

My dressing is VERY simple and yet quite creamy and delicious:

1 part Mayo (Duke's)
1/2 part sugar
1/3 part vinegar (apple cider vinegar)
dash pepper

I.e., 1 cup or 1 gallon or whatever.

I mixed up 3 gallons mayo, the equivalent of 1 1/2 gallons sugar, and 1 gallon vinegar with a healthy handful of pepper and it seemed to be just the right amount. Let the cabbage sit in the mix overnight and toss the next day. It looks too dry the first day, but just right the second day.

GOOD LUCK!

deguerre 05-23-2013 12:12 PM

Sounds good Tom! Next time I need a cream style, I'm trying that. (Yes, I like creamy slaw as it is actually wonderful on a simple cheese burger, hot dogs etc...)
I wonder if you can get Duke's outside of the South?

bbq.tom 05-23-2013 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deguerre (Post 2491153)
I wonder if you can get Duke's outside of the South?

GOOD question!!! I grew up in Ohio and ONLY had Miracle Whip. Being down in NC for the past 33 years I've truly gotten used to Duke's (my wife swears by it! and won't use anything else for her pimento cheese!), but I still like MW on a BLT. I'm sure that pretty much any mayo would work as long as it is very creamy.

deguerre 05-24-2013 07:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bbq.tom (Post 2491159)
GOOD question!!! I grew up in Ohio and ONLY had Miracle Whip. Being down in NC for the past 33 years I've truly gotten used to Duke's (my wife swears by it! and won't use anything else for her pimento cheese!), but I still like MW on a BLT. I'm sure that pretty much any mayo would work as long as it is very creamy.

Duke's IS expanding, but the closest to the OP is in Michigan looks like. Too bad because it's my favorite mayo, with Blue Plate a close second (Southern only too).