The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Ugly Drum Smoker (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23436)

esselle 03-28-2014 05:10 AM

Just completed the re-furb of mine. Was plain black.
https://www.facebook.com/boss.hogg.5...type=3&theater

sensor 03-28-2014 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gt651 (Post 2860288)
Sensor,

Yes a very nice build.

Could you say something about the dome you used and did you use an open- head or closed-head drum?

I used a closed-head drum, that I cut top off on the outside just below the bead. I used a thin cut off wheel in a 4 1/2" grinder. i was careful to only cut through 1 layer of metal to be able to use the flat top lid. After I made the cut the weber grill and cart showed up on CL, so I used the lid off of the 22.5" weber grill. The lid needed a gasket, so I bought 1/8" I.D. x 1/4" O.D. Silicone Tubing - High Temp Hose (500F) off of ebay and cut one side to slide onto the drum.

superdave2014 03-28-2014 11:37 AM

Ladies and gentlemen I joined the bbq-brethren.com to find out about UDS's, little did I know that there are close to 800 pages on the subject. I am looking forward to reading up on them and then doing a build. The UDS build will be done by me and my daughter.

DjPorkchop 03-28-2014 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by superdave2014 (Post 2860914)
Ladies and gentlemen I joined the bbq-brethren.com to find out about UDS's, little did I know that there are close to 800 pages on the subject. I am looking forward to reading up on them and then doing a build. The UDS build will be done by me and my daughter.


You won't be sorry for joining us here OR building the UDS. :thumb:

And nothing beats some time doing something constructive with the kiddos!

Take care and have fun. You are going to love it.

superdave2014 03-28-2014 01:57 PM

Thanks for the reply DjProckchop. I have the UDS (in its former life it was used to ship concentrated orange juice) in my garage and I have started to collect all the bits and pieces. I have to wait for my daughter to finish her college exams and then we are going to go at it.

JamieK 03-28-2014 04:13 PM

Nice work Superdave, we need another UDS up here in Canada

ebijack 03-28-2014 04:18 PM

SuperDave, Take Notes and page numbers ( or copy/paste) you will want to go back over stuff.

pinkelephant 03-28-2014 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SmittyJonz (Post 2799581)
How many Whole Chickens can one do in an UDS at one time........?



At least 6 but probally 8 if you use 2 grates...........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0vaIiRelaE

The correct answer is 12 :-D
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=177729

eaglefootballdad 03-29-2014 06:25 AM

New here folks, so please bear with me! I have been cooking and smoking for many years on my big custom cookers, but somehow have only recently discovered the UDS. It's obvious I don't get out much. I've begun my build and am down to the coal basket. My question for you all: would you recommend using the smaller Weber grate to build the base for the basket or would you take the time to build the base from expanded metal? Thanks in advance for your help!

rajewest 03-29-2014 06:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eaglefootballdad (Post 2861982)
New here folks, so please bear with me! I have been cooking and smoking for many years on my big custom cookers, but somehow have only recently discovered the UDS. It's obvious I don't get out much. I've begun my build and am down to the coal basket. My question for you all: would you recommend using the smaller Weber grate to build the base for the basket or would you take the time to build the base from expanded metal? Thanks in advance for your help!

I have baskets made both ways, one with the 18" charcoal grate as a bottom, the other with an expanded metal bottom. Easier to build using the grate, (no cutting, already round), smaller pieces will fall through, not too big of a deal in the grand scheme of things.

eaglefootballdad 03-29-2014 07:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rajewest (Post 2861991)
I have baskets made both ways, one with the 18" charcoal grate as a bottom, the other with an expanded metal bottom. Easier to build using the grate, (no cutting, already round), smaller pieces will fall through, not too big of a deal in the grand scheme of things.

Thanks for the info and expedient reply! If I could pick your brain for another question: I am putting two cooking grates in. Currently, I will be using the drum lid until I find an old kettle lid. That being said, what kind of spacing from the top would you use for two grates? I've read page after page on this thread and there are lots of different takes on this.

cmwr 03-29-2014 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eaglefootballdad (Post 2861982)
New here folks, so please bear with me! I have been cooking and smoking for many years on my big custom cookers, but somehow have only recently discovered the UDS. It's obvious I don't get out much. I've begun my build and am down to the coal basket. My question for you all: would you recommend using the smaller Weber grate to build the base for the basket or would you take the time to build the base from expanded metal? Thanks in advance for your help!

Build a square basket..:-D out of expanded

eaglefootballdad 03-29-2014 09:32 AM

Thanks guys!

eaglefootballdad 03-29-2014 06:58 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 93475

eaglefootballdad 03-29-2014 07:01 PM

Got on it and got it done. It's my first one, so I'm not very worried about fancy paint...yet. Giving it a test fire to tonight! Excited! Mostly because I have two slabs of babies and a few pounds of thighs to put in that puppy tomorrow!


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:18 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
2003 -2012 BBQ-Brethren Inc. All rights reserved. All Content and Flaming Pig Logo are registered and protected under U.S and International Copyright and Trademarks. Content Within this Website Is Property of BBQ Brethren Inc. Reproduction or alteration is strictly prohibited.