The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Ugly Drum Smoker (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23436)

BobBill 12-17-2020 08:35 AM

S-winey, if you are referring to the above photo; No! It's a 30...count the pavers...2-years, last April."

And I do more smoking in my Weber...old 23" from 1973.

Doubt you could find a SS salad bowl that is 23" in diameter...

KClandcruiser 12-17-2020 08:44 AM

I would not want to go any smaller than a 55 for my personal uses, and honestly wish it were bigger when cooking certain meats for more than 6-8 people. Looks like you're off to a start with a clean straight drum. Can't wait to see the finished product

BobBill 12-17-2020 08:56 AM

KC; cannot disagree. Just a POV caution...

Me rarely chefs for more than four.
Just stuff. Charcoal costs...have me own apple trees/wood, I trim.

Swine-Enshrined 12-17-2020 10:57 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Gents... What I was looking for input on was the "straight" drum (pictured), vs the traditional barrels that are all over CL.

This is a new, unlined 55 gallon straight drum with removable lid . $88.
Seems like it would make a really nice UDS

Stats:

PART# 551A2NSM150
UN RATED 55 GALLON OPEN TOP SMOOTH SIDE STEEL DRUM
- NEW
- UNLINED
- BOLT RING CLOSURE
- SOLID LID
UN1A2/Y1.5150 - UN1A2/X400/S
DIMS: 24" X 24" X 34.5" Tall
WEIGHT: 44LBS.

Nuco59 12-17-2020 12:15 PM

I like the look of the straight sided, open head drums. All of mine have been the normal, ribbed ones- that's all I could scrounge up.

KClandcruiser 12-17-2020 12:18 PM

I thought the straight drum was a foregone conclusion. My bad. I think at that price it is a slam dunk

BobBill 12-17-2020 01:49 PM

Get no moans from moi...

BobBill 12-20-2020 04:17 AM

Here is alternate exterior view of 30 gal machine... I might mention chimney square inch size has a bearing on smoking efficiency.

jstromme 06-02-2021 10:53 AM

I just built my first Ugly Drum Smoker
 
Hey all you UDS experts.

I finished my first build. I've been cooking with it a ton and I love it.
I made a video of the build...

https://youtu.be/Ai-CwUaOs9s

I'd love to get some thoughts and feedback from the pros on this forum.

I doubt this will be the last one I build.

Thanks!

NotSoBigDan 06-02-2021 11:00 AM

Use lump charcoal instead of briquettes and you'll have much less ash to deal with.

Edward Alt 06-03-2021 01:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swine-Enshrined (Post 4421765)
Gents... What I was looking for input on was the "straight" drum (pictured), vs the traditional barrels that are all over CL.

This is a new, unlined 55 gallon straight drum with removable lid . $88.
Seems like it would make a really nice UDS

Stats:

PART# 551A2NSM150
UN RATED 55 GALLON OPEN TOP SMOOTH SIDE STEEL DRUM
- NEW
- UNLINED
- BOLT RING CLOSURE
- SOLID LID
UN1A2/Y1.5150 - UN1A2/X400/S
DIMS: 24" X 24" X 34.5" Tall
WEIGHT: 44LBS.

crevice free / smooth sided barrels are what they use to make one of the best drum smokers on the competition trail - Hunsaker Smokers

Go for it. I don't think you'll regret it!

onemanlan 06-03-2021 05:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jstromme (Post 4481768)
Hey all you UDS experts.

I finished my first build. I've been cooking with it a ton and I love it.
I made a video of the build...

https://youtu.be/Ai-CwUaOs9s

I'd love to get some thoughts and feedback from the pros on this forum.

I doubt this will be the last one I build.

Thanks!

nice looking UDS. your commentary was pretty funny through the process. good of you to look out for your hands and your friends hands with regards to sharp edges. really like your firebox solution!

ChargerWI18 06-03-2021 08:11 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Hey all, I posted this in the Q-talk general forum. Decided to post in the UDS sub forum.(forgot about it) My question is, do you see this on your UDS exhaust? I run 275 for all my cooks and only one 1 exhaust is open at a time depending on wind. Had an issue with to much airflow back feeding into the drum when both were open the entire cook and I lost the temp I was trying to achieve and the temp got out of control. So since then I run one exhaust and my intakes open a smidge and can hold 275ish for a long time. I guess I just want to make sure Iím ok with this seeping out of my exhaust stack? It hardens up after everything is cooled down and have to moisten it to get it off. See pics of set up and issue. Thanks

jstromme 07-23-2021 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by onemanlan (Post 4481952)
nice looking UDS. your commentary was pretty funny through the process. good of you to look out for your hands and your friends hands with regards to sharp edges. really like your firebox solution!

Just now saw this! Thank you for the kind words :)
I've loved cooking on it. I've posted some more videos recently!

I managed to fit 6 pork shoulders on it! Here's the video for that https://youtu.be/mocdFvsLMqk

Most meat I've ever cook on a UDS (or anything for that matter).

luv2smoke 07-23-2021 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swine-Enshrined (Post 4421765)
Gents... What I was looking for input on was the "straight" drum (pictured), vs the traditional barrels that are all over CL.

This is a new, unlined 55 gallon straight drum with removable lid . $88.
Seems like it would make a really nice UDS

Stats:

PART# 551A2NSM150
UN RATED 55 GALLON OPEN TOP SMOOTH SIDE STEEL DRUM
- NEW
- UNLINED
- BOLT RING CLOSURE
- SOLID LID
UN1A2/Y1.5150 - UN1A2/X400/S
DIMS: 24" X 24" X 34.5" Tall
WEIGHT: 44LBS.

Where did you find that deal?


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:50 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
2003 -2012 © BBQ-Brethren Inc. All rights reserved. All Content and Flaming Pig Logo are registered and protected under U.S and International Copyright and Trademarks. Content Within this Website Is Property of BBQ Brethren Inc. Reproduction or alteration is strictly prohibited.