The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Ugly Drum Smoker (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23436)

h20loo 11-19-2010 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unfathomable Bastid (Post 1461645)
Hmm... don't have time to fabricate a diffuser plate before this weekend's smoke of a 10lb brisket. Would it be a better play for me to smoke the beast in a throw-away tin pan to avoid direct heat and smoke? I don't want Mrs. Bastid complaining of it being bitter or too smokey!!

-Bastid

A difuser plate doesn't reduce the amount of smoke but the elimination or reduction in wood on your charcoal would.

Smokin' D 11-19-2010 10:28 AM

I have found that the plate cuts down on the "fat in the fire taste" that can be overwhelming for some, as in me. Most of the time there is lump charcoal with a chunk or two of Cherry or Apple wood for some smoky flavor. Mesquite has not been in any of my smokers for over 5 years. Just too much. Oh yeah, don't smoke the whole time with the meat in a pan. Could come out mushy. But a pan below the meat to catch the juices would be the ticket, if you have two racks that is.

h20loo 11-19-2010 12:45 PM

Unless the diffuser plate is far enough away from the fire to hold the dripping fat and not allow it to boil, then I think the fat still gets burnt off and joins the convection. With no smoke and no fat dripping....It soon gets to a point where you could cook in your kitchen stove and have the same effect. Well, as long as you don't have pie drippings on the bottom of your oven like we do. Sometimes more smoke in the kitchen then in the yard!!

Smokin' D 11-19-2010 01:06 PM

Try a diffuser some time. You might like it.

boakley 11-19-2010 02:45 PM

I've used a diffuser at times for more even heating, I don't see how it would reduce the smoke though (as h20loo said). Cooking with just lump Charcoal (Royal Oak Steakhouse Lump Charcoal from Menard's) gave a very light smoke flavor, to increase the smoke flavor (which I personally like), I toss in some wood chips.

jeffsee 11-19-2010 05:32 PM

Charbroiled lid

Scored a 4-year-old Charbroil charcoal kettle on Craigslist for $12. Burning drum for 2nd time tonight. getting anxious to finish.

sbramm 11-19-2010 06:23 PM

a diffuser of a water pan will catch the drippings and prevent the fat on charcoal thing but then the drum becomes a weber smokey mountain!

that being said, when i make a full rack of moinks i put a big pizza pan with a layer of water as a diffuser to keep the smoke down.

stglide 11-21-2010 08:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackdog043 (Post 1460259)
What are you using for a charcoal basket, do you have it 3 inches from the bottom or ash pan?

Blackdog.. Yes, I do have it elevated, as such. So not sure that is it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by michiana mark (Post 1460351)
Mine runs along pretty well with one cap off (3/4in) and valve half way open. If you close it down too much it can't get enough air and will drop the temp. It may actually "backdraft" and fluctuate the temp when it exhales and then inhales a large amount of air. Drums take a while to settle in, set the valves and leave it, for 30 min, before adjusting. small adj should only be needed.

Mark... Yeah, I've had it several different ways to hopefully figure out what Ole Blue likes. One uncapped and try to adjust w/ valve. Just the valve. Even two uncapped w/ foil wrapped tight around the nipple and small hole in each. The first two burns, were beautiful, as temps settled in between 225 and 250 and marched right along. Since then though, not sure what has changed. Still working to figure it out.... It may just be temperamental like my wife!! :eusa_clap

stglide 11-21-2010 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smokin' D (Post 1461582)

I see an elephant, with a tutu, and dancing..... :wacko: Wait!!! Wrong forum!!!

Really, it does raise the question as to the pattern of holes... Artistic freedom, or is there a pattern you've come up with? Inquiring minds want to know..

I've been wanting to try a diffuser also, looked at a pizza pan from Wally World that already has small holes in it. Wondered if that would work... Doesn't have the larger, med, small holes like yours. Somebody else on here also created a diffuser that as they progressed outward from the center, their cuts/holes, got larger....

Unfathomable Bastid 11-21-2010 08:38 AM

****UPDATE***** (9:30am EST Sunday)

Ok, so "Black Magic" is chugging along at 225 going on 3.5 hours now. I put 15 lbs of charcoal in the basket, and "minioned" about a dozen briquettes on top. Took about 45 minutes for it to settle at 250 with one nipple capped. I then capped the second nipple (of three) and closed the ball valve about 25% to coax it down to 225, and there she is now humming along, hopefully for the entire smoke. We'll see.

An 11-pound brisket is about 7 lbs bigger than anything I have ever cooked (grilled, baked, or otherwise). I made a last-minute executive decision to smoke her fat side DOWN, for fear of too much direct heat in my short (34") barrel. My logic being that the .25" layer of fat will insulate against direct heat. We'll see if that turns out to be a wise move. I've had the brisket trimmed and rubbed for more than 24 hours so I'm hoping the final product won't suffer for lack of flavor from the fat that I would have gotten from the fat being on top.

She's be smoking since 6am. My plan is to turn her at noon, and start mopping every hour from that point forward until I get to an internal temp of 175. The I will wrap her in foil with a final mop and leave her on until I get to 190. Then off she'll come for 45 mins of rest before then fun begins.

Any thoughts or help you can offer this nervous newbie are appreciated!!!

-Bastid

Smokin' D 11-21-2010 08:41 AM

I was going for the a couple of pigs at a bar with a chicken, but you know how modern art can be: misunderstood.

Actually the whole pattern of holes came about from trying to equalize the temps center to edge. With that result in mind I used 15 thermometer probes placed at random locations both inside and outside the drum, some with working batteries and some without, to read the temps as a spatch-cocked turkey was cooking. These data were fed through an as yet unreleased version of Stoker Log and the temps were plotted on Smokin' Turkeys CNC machine and the resultant pattern was the result. I have since taken some artistic liberty and drilled more random sized and placed holes to great and successful culinary effect.

In reality, everything is purely random.

This is in reply to stglide's question.

stglide 11-21-2010 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smokin' D (Post 1463217)
I was going for the a couple of pigs at a bar with a chicken, but you know how modern art can be: misunderstood.

Actually the whole pattern of holes came about from trying to equalize the temps center to edge. With that result in mind I used 15 thermometer probes placed at random locations both inside and outside the drum, some with working batteries and some without, to read the temps as a spatch-cocked turkey was cooking. These data were fed through an as yet unreleased version of Stoker Log and the temps were plotted on Smokin' Turkeys CNC machine and the resultant pattern was the result. I have since taken some artistic liberty and drilled more random sized and placed holes to great and successful culinary effect.

In reality, everything is purely random.

This is in reply to sgtglide's question.

:doh: LMAO!! I had pulled up my CAD to start plotting! Glad you replied before I went through the trouble... :becky:

Tks Smokin'D.. just curious.

Smokin' D 11-21-2010 08:47 AM

Sounds as though your backyard is smelling nice right about now. The fat down will serve you well in this endeavor with the drum so have no worries. Keep us posted with your progress and as always, good luck.

Unfathomable Bastid 11-21-2010 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smokin' D (Post 1463225)
Sounds as though your backyard is smelling nice right about now. The fat down will serve you well in this endeavor with the drum so have no worries. Keep us posted with your progress and as always, good luck.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smokin' D (Post 1463225)

Wife just called me on my cell saying the temp is reading 250. Wow -- it still rose with 2 of 3 nipples capped and the ball valve 25% close. I told Mrs. Bastid to crank the ball valve shut another 25% and choke off the exhaust just a tad. We'll see if that won't calm Black Magic down a tad....

I'll keep ya posted.

-Bastid

SmokerKing 11-21-2010 08:58 AM

I've been experimtenting with a diffuser for the UDS for several months now. I've got a design that seems to be working. This is my latest Revision #3 which will be tested in 3 BUFORDS next Saturday.

http://img824.imageshack.us/img824/4...ffuserrev3.jpg